Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 22:41   #1

Boat: nelson marek 45
Great Lakes to New York

Hi

I will sail from beginning of June from Muskegon to New York by Buffalo. The boat is 45 Nelson Marek. I am in search of one or 2 crew for the trip.

Contact me if interested, or for more information.

Thanks
candideyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 03:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Great Lakes to New York

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, candideyy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 06:44   #3

We are a retired couple in our early/mid-60s with significant sailing experience and are interested in participating in your trip. I assume you are going via Detroit rather than Georgian Bay and down through the Trent-Severn system, but let us know if that is not the case. Also, by mentioning Buffalo we are are assuming The Erie Canal and that you are good with the draft and mast hight on the canal, but of course if you go by way of Detroit you have to go through Buffalo to get to the Atlantic or to the canal so please confirm. How long do you expect it to take? In any case, we have considered something like this and/or cruising the Trent-Severn for years. If it happens, we’d look forward to buying you a Hayburner at the Big Ditch brewpub in Buffalo before heading down the canal.

If interested let us know and we’ll send sailing resume, including crewing experience arranged through this forum.
RealSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 08:04   #4

Boat: Beneteau 361

PM sent
skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:50   #5

Will be cold. You will need my Mustang one piece suit.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:58   #6

Boat: Sancerre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Will be cold. You will need my Mustang one piece suit.
June cold? You must be from more southern climes.
Kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:46   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenr74 View Post
June cold? You must be from more southern climes.
The water takes a while to warm up. Early June can still be pretty cold out on the lake in a wind. I recall doing a solo from kingston to main duck in early July and needing a toque (thats a warm hat in canada).

Lake Huron especially, with its deep waters, never really warms up like Ontario and Erie.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 12:53   #8

I've done Lake Champlain down to New York. It can be cold in early June. You may want to check when they open the canal. it is closed in the winter and there is a significant amount of debris flowing down the canal when they first open it. Also you may be the first one to find out where the canal has shoaled in. The water level has been low the last few years due to the recent drought. Make sure you have adequate depth. There will be a significant amount of motoring. It might make more sense to put it on a truck. That being said it is a nice trip, every day is different.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 13:39   #9

Boat: Catalina 375

I have experience on the Great Lakes as a skipper for 7 years. I have also done Erie Canal as skipper. Last summer skippered a trip from Kingston to Gaspe and back in my sailboat. In June Lake Ontario should be OK except if you are trying to sleep against a fibreglass hull. That will be cool. I might be available when you head out.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 13:44   #10

I have done part of that trip in June...very cold. I live up there. Get winter sleeping bags as well. If not prepared for the worst your crew may jump ship after the second night. LOL

Average June temps at night in the low 50's F. 62*F daytime plus wind chill factor.
July days are warmer but still only high 60"s at night.

Water temp 40*F.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 13:47   #11

Boat: Catalina 375

I should have mentioned, depending on your draft yes Erie Canal can be a challenge. With all the snow this winter I think there will be adequate water. I draw 7 foot 2 and made it only hitting mud twice. For the canal you have to drop the mast. I was very disappointed with the canal. It is boring. Also the main train line follows most of the canal so you will be woke up every night by freight trains. You can put the mast up once you are below Albany NY. Be careful as your mast on deck will likely be longer than the boat. That can present challenges if you run into a dock master who wants to play with you and manipulate the flow into the lock. Your boat could be all over the place. Only happened a couple times. Most dock masters are great. I have also gone thru both the St Lawrence Seaway and Panama Canal, both were easier than the Erie. Hell you might find it fun to sail to Lake Ontario then pick up the Erie in Oswego NY.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 13:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Drop your mast. If your draft is less than 6' the Erie from Buffalo to the Hudson is a breeze. If you are taking your time it is a beautiful trip, lots of beautiful small towns with some surprisingly good museums (I'm a museum buff). Free docking almost everywhere. I've traversed the canal at least 30 times and love it.

I've delivered boats from Duluth to Montreal in May and June, Yeah it can be coldish' but it's not gonna kill you .... unless you go swimming . No big deal.

If you have not been on the Erie you may be interested in Cruising the NY State Canals.
Old 26-01-2018, 17:48   #13

Boat: Alberg 35

I used to live and sail in northwestern Michigan (Leelanau County) I can tell you that it will definitely be cold. You can expect water temps around 40; sometimes less. I remember many days in June when we would come in from sailng Traverse Bay in long johns, heavy socks, boots, jeans, two or three top layers including a heavy wool fisherman sweater and oulies and a watchcap, get off the boat and have people stare because it was 80 deg F on land. But we were still cold on the water. Sounds like a fun trip if you are prepared. Most marinas are open by then. Fair winds!
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 18:29   #14

Boat: Catalina 42 - Mk I
Send a message via Skype™ to Mermaid cutter

I'm interested.
I offer extensive
experience and can bring along charts for the route.
Mermaid cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 18:55   #15

Hey didn't catch your name was busy in my head. I am mike or Capt. Yin 53 yr old retired mechanical contractor. Six years US Army Signal Corps.
I Originally hale from ST Clair Shores. Have been sailing. The great lakes.. Since I started in a sunfish, in the summer of love. Yes so I missed out, was only six. So the sunfish was love for me.. Back to subject.

I have been contemplating making the same trip, Erie or Perhaps the St Lawrence. In my s2 8.6 Being a solo sailor. I have been a little intimidated, still though Iv always said if solo is the only way tis still better then staying ashore.

I am retired, single, a full time father but my boy near 18 . I am an experienced sailor, knot tier, cook, and one of the most accomplished, electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and all round service technicians. In (well I guess out of the business). Weather is no problem ,I am well equipped, I sail it..

I am free to leave when you leave, and return when you are safely in port at journeys end. I have responded to similar posts, wonder sometimes who are dreamers and who are sailors?? Fingers crossed, If you are going and need experienced hands I am experienced hands and very much wanting to make the journey.. I am yinshu22@gmail.com
yinshu22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, new york