Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 14:25   #1

Boat: Piver Loadstar 35 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to chubasco
Experienced Crew member Florida keys; Winter 2018

Looking for experienced sailor with some time to cruise the Florida keys Mid January to end of February maybe into March. I am somewhat of a newbee and I want a patient, teacher type who can show me the ropes. Ideally the crew member is looking to escape the cold and would like a layback schedule as we adventure our way from Tampa south, stopping often, then to the Dry Tortugas then up the east coast to Jacksonville and then into the Saint Johns river south by Spring. This is a small boat, a Pearson 26 ft., which is not much more than a camper on the water really and it will be a minimalist, no frills trip. I pick up the food and fuel costs and possible a little extra in fact if you have time now, I can even pay someone to help me get the boat ready, plus I will feed you and you can live on the boat in dry dock where presently I am painting the bottom and changing out the running rigging.
Originally I was planning to take a sailing class and then wing it south singlehanded and I thought this might be a better option. I have a seasonal job and this is part of a bigger plan to learn how to sail on a small boat each Winter until I am ready for a bigger boat and retirement.
So if you are in Florida or Florida bound with some experience then look me up. Male or female, no preference; I am a married, straight male and this is not about anything other than cruising the keys.

Job potential
Also; I do honeybee rescue and I am looking for an apprentice, so in the Spring there might be a job and a place to stay if you are interested in learning a great paying profession with winters off.
chubasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 21:22   #2

Re: Experienced Crew member Florida keys; Winter 2018

CHUBASCO.....I Just had the purchase of a 30 ft fall through. Killed my plans to be on the water. I have two 25 ft sailing vessels up on the east coast so I know what it's like to be in a small boat. I have sailed my entire life and now being 51 I realize many mistakes I made along the way and hopefully learning from them. Things like never believe a chart when it says 20 ft and you look down and see the crabs smiling at ya! lol. So my current plan was to buy the 30 ft'r and hit the Bahamas. 300.00 gets you a years of cruising the shallows and solitude on the whitest beaches and awesome diving. Sharks. pigs. and solitude but don't forget fishing is included in the 300.00 I would suggest getting a drone and perhaps a Hooka rig for diving. Solar panels and a wind vane and a dingy might be something else to look into. or perhaps a kayak or two? Navigating the rivers is nice but that little jaunt east across from Miami is a mind blower And this is the perfect time. I am currently in Texas so I can't swing by and lend the helping hand but you can contact me here and I might be able to help you out in some manner perhaps even Get you around the tip and up to Miami. I have contacts in Sarasota that could easily pick me up on the east coast or I could just UBER to the airport from there. Perhaps you may feel skilled enough to get the wife on board to head north. Hit me back if you desire.
txflyguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, enc, florida, florida keys, member