Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 09:39   #1

Eastern North Carolina

Hi! I'm a transplanted Southport(er) from Chesapeake Bay and have a sailboat. Would sure like to find others into sailing; I'm only working part time at present and have mostly a flexible schedule. I'm at a marina right on the ICW and about 3 miles from the Atlantic. Open to any/all kinds of sailing; boat is ocean-crossable.

Cheers and thanks for reading!
sailorguydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 18:28   #2

Re: Eastern North Carolina

Hi,

I'm landlocked in Colorado, but if you are transplanted and looking for people to sail with, I'm also flexible for fly in extended sailing weekends. I know this may seem like a long distance, impractical odd reply..but let me explain in short...

My work (50 yr old corporate professional) brought me to Colorado 14 years ago. I grew up on the east coast sailing; racing and off shore cruising. I had my own boats (loved my old Pearson 33 that took me up and down the coast for years), but sold them when I left for Colorado in 2002. I've been chartering quarterly each year to get my sailing in. Chartering is getting old as the logistics getting old. I'm moving to Boston in 8 months and will buy my own boat. Anyway, I joined this forum a month ago and have been keeping my eye out to see if I can make something happen.

So, if you want a buddy to go do an extended weekend here and there, reach out. I'm also flexible and have the means to buy a plane ticket and take off for a 4-5 day sail and share expenses. It's only October and love fall sailing on the east coast so wouldn't be adverse to heading out in a week or so;-)

I looked to see if I can reply to you privately and couldn't find out how to do so. If I set my account right, you should be able to reply to be privately.

Bernie
bbb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:51   #3

I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner; between work and some travel (getting home after the hurricane was a challenge), I neglected everything. Also, I had no clue on how to reply here.

I'm happy to take you sailing, but I need to be honest: I'm on the North Carolina coast and our sailing here is hit and miss. Either it's no wind or else we have a gale. We have only the ocean and it's not always great there.

I do have a suggestion for you, however, in addition to my offer: Namely, go online and find spinsheet.com. Spinsheet is a free publication (also online) published out of Annapolis MD. Online they have crew and captain listings; i.e., those looking for crew and those wanting to crew. They are mainly on the Chesapeake out of Annapolis area, but also Baltimore, Solomon's Island etc. Get on the crew list and see what develops. It's sort of a match.com for sailors (not a dating service, though I imagine that's happened too). I loved sailing the bay and miss it; other reasons brought me here.

I have a Shannon 28, which is a good (small) crusing boat, but not super fast. If you do a Google search, you'll find it.

Keep me posted/in touch on what your thinking is. Cheers, Marty
Old 13-10-2016, 10:21   #4

Boat: Cape Dory

Where in Eastern NC are you? I am in New Bern. Might be willing to to trade day sailing days. Its always good to get time on other boats and I could use some help getting my Monitor set up and working smoothly -- crew who can helm and trim the sails well is real valuable for that purpose.

Matt
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:26   #5

I'm sorry that it took me so long to reply; I didn't think to look here as I was only looking in 'private messages.' What sort of boat do you have? I keep mine in Southport and yourself?
Old 07-11-2016, 23:04   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorguydc View Post
I'm sorry that it took me so long to reply; I didn't think to look here as I was only looking in 'private messages.' What sort of boat do you have? I keep mine in Southport and yourself?
Tip: You can "subscribe" to this thread and choose when you want to receive email notifications of new posts in this thread. Use the drop down "Thread Tools" menu link to do this. You can receive immediate notification (via email) of new posts. This is important if you want good responses, as some people get snarky with non-response postings.

When you make a new post, click on the GO ADVANCED button at the bottom of the reply dialog box. It will open a new box. Look near the bottom of that box for NOTIFICATIONS. You can change the notifications for any thread you subscribe to.

Hope that helps!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 18:27   #7

Hey,
the Wife and I live in wilmington, and have been looking for local sailors. We are currently in the market for a boat, but would love to help out and sail with some locals if you need deckhands.
Willdlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:03   #8

I'm near Carolina Beach and yourself? Boat is in Southport. Sorry for taking so long; I've been swamped at work.
Old 27-11-2016, 15:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Tip: You can "subscribe" to this thread and choose when you want to receive email notifications of new posts in this thread. Use the drop down "Thread Tools" menu link to do this. You can receive immediate notification (via email) of new posts. This is important if you want good responses, as some people get snarky with non-response postings.

When you make a new post, click on the GO ADVANCED button at the bottom of the reply dialog box. It will open a new box. Look near the bottom of that box for NOTIFICATIONS. You can change the notifications for any thread you subscribe to.

Hope that helps!
Where are you?
Old 27-11-2016, 15:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdlove View Post
Hey,
the Wife and I live in wilmington, and have been looking for local sailors. We are currently in the market for a boat, but would love to help out and sail with some locals if you need deckhands.
I'm still trying to figure this out; sorry it has taken me so long in replying. I've been swamped at work (better than on the boat . I'm near Carolina Beach and have the boat in Southport. How about you? Where are you?
Old 27-11-2016, 17:52   #11

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Where in New Bern...my boat is there as well...looking for someone willing to go so i can get more experience either on my boat or there...I live in Charlotte and when i come down it's just for one day....my goal as been to go south each year but something always comes up to delay it...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 20:53   #12

We are currently in Ogden area.... but are wanting to find a boat by April to live aboard when our lease expires in May 2027
Willdlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:29   #13

Boat: IslandPacket Packet Cat 35

My wife and I sail out of Wilmington and are occasionally looking for crew. PM if you might be interested
ramalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorguydc View Post
Where are you?
I am currently in the Dallas area.

But my plan for all of 2017 is to travel as much as possible while crewing on Other People's Boats, whether as crew for cruisers or as Crew for Professional Yacht Deliveries by Delivery Captains (I am not USCG licensed yet).

So, I may be in North Carolina at some time in the future, if a delivery or cruise starts or ends there or passes through there.

I am geared up and prepared to travel on short notice (as little as 24 hours notice) to assist Owners and Captains who need crew in 2017 (or even December 2016). This will be my full time focus for ALL of 2017.

And, I hope to meet other CF members as I visit the various ports too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:43   #15

Sailorguy - I realize this post is pretty old but I am new to this forum.

I live outside of Wilmington about 30 minutes from Southport. I am very interested in learning to sail and hope to take the ASA 101 with my wife at the southport marina soon.

If you ever still need another hand or two for a trip please let me know. That goes for another local boats too!

Feel free to PM me....
Verrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina