Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 12:00   #1

DelMarVa loop – 30 June 2019

Crew wanted for 8-12 day circumnavigation of DelMarVa. Departing Deale, MD on/about 30 June, weather dependent. Sailing experienced not required.

I single-hand and would be glad to teach you everything you need to know as we go along. Weather (and Black Swans) notwithstanding, the biggest challenge will be the overnight sail down the Atlantic coast – by that time you will need to understand the basics of maintaining an effective watch. If you do have sailing experience, we'll still practice a few basic drills, because each boat is different and each Captain is unique.

We will practice a few things along the way during day 1-2, at a minimum: reefing, MOB drills, navigation, heaving-to, and very basic engine trouble-shooting. We can also go over anything else more you’re interested in learning. I’m also very interested in learning from your experiences, our interactions, and your questions!

All expenses paid. One exception – I have only one mustang life jacket with harness for myself. I have other life jackets, but you must provide your own harness and tether. Besides that, I pay for all gas, food, marina fees, meals ashore, etc.

The Captain:
-safety oriented, easy going, pleasure-seeking cruiser.
-well read, conversational, but also values quiet time, just watching the sea pass by and relaxing
-doesn’t take unnecessary risks nor pushes the boundaries self or the ship.
-cooks well on the high seas (and on land)
-skills I want to improve during this trip: dead reckoning, night light identification, using radar, using whisker pole, and possibly flying the spinnaker. (I’ve never done that alone on my boat). I also want to maybe improve/tweak my boom preventer system, as well as take a few celestial sights.

The Boat:
-cutter-rigged Shannon 28.
-recent standing rigging inspection (2 weeks ago) and is good to go.
-extremely reliable 20hp Beta, maintained meticulously.
-chart plotter, radar, AIS class B transponder, new raymarine tiller pilot, VHF. (backup handheld VHF x 2, handheld GPS, sextant, and paper charts)
-I use jacklines (run down the middle of the vessel, not sides) and am tethered in at all times except when sitting in cockpit in daylight. You will be too!
-all required safety equipment (day & night signals (and backups), medical kit, etc), fully insured, tow insurance in effect.

You:
-safety oriented above all else. Reliable.
-easy going and possessing good communication skills
-resilient in the face of adversity, calm during emergencies, and smile in the face of hardship or discomfort
-open-ended schedule for this cruise
-are allowed to drink on board, but in moderation (I drink the occasional beer when it’s safe)
-don’t smoke…except maybe a pipe. because, hell, it’s a sailboat.

If interested, please drop me a message telling me a little about yourself. What book you would recommend to a sailor and why.
What is the biggest challenge you’ll have on this cruise?
What do you bring to the table as a team member?
What do you want to get out of this experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_161739.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	192218  

ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 12:19   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: DelMarVa loop – 30 June 2019

Bump.

You were supposed to give me your old autopilot! What happened?!?

Just kidding. No big deal if someone else ended up with it. Good luck on the Delmarva.

Old 17-05-2019, 12:25   #3

hah! Fiveslide! It's still yours, I just haven't pulled the electronics off the bulkhead. I can send you the piston now though!
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 14:13   #4

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I'm in no rush, and if you see a needier dock neighbor, see if they want to try it.
Old 18-05-2019, 10:03   #5

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Great boat! I'd be interested for the experience overall, but can't get away from work commitments for that length of time. Good luck, and should be a great trip. I plan to do the same myself someday.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 12:31   #6

I may be interested and have the time. My experience is limited but have helped crew an Amel for 3 months in the Caribbean. I love being out to sea and don't get excited when things get dicey. I've never gotten sea sick but I guess there's always a first time for everything. I am respectful of others and their space, know what watch cycles are all about. Always willing to learn something from others.
Can tell you more if interested. Oh, I'm (have to think about this) 67 years on this planet and still love a good adventure! Don't let the age thing scare you, it's only a number.
Regards,
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 12:54   #7

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3sailor View Post
Oh, I'm (have to think about this) 67 years on this planet and still love a good adventure! Don't let the age thing scare you, it's only a number.
Regards,

If you still get excited by the thought -- that's how old you are. Stay timeless -
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 12:55   #8

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Handsome, well founded sailboat. Were I on the 'right' coast, I'd be tempted to volunteer just for the opportunity to sail aboard your boat. However, being on the 'left' coast and having a couple of years on P3sailor, I'll be taking a pass. It sounds like a good adventure. A great opportunity for folks looking to expand their abilities by taking little bites with a more experienced sailor. Have fun and be safe. My own experience is having crew (depending on their sailing experience) can make for a more enjoyable passage, it also comes with added safety concerns that are above and beyond what you would have sailing solo. Have a fun and good on 'ya for sharing.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 06:23   #9

Boat: Mariner36

I would be interested, I have been sailing since '95, mainly in the Great Lakes but some near coastal as well, I have always wanted to take that trip.
bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 12:38   #10

I sent you a PM this weekend. Interested in crewing.

Scubableu is offline   Reply With Quote