Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 22:00   #1

Crew wanted - Lagoon 440 Spain to Thailand - August

I recently purchased a 2009 Lagoon 440 owner's model with most options including air conditioning and a water maker.

It is currently docked in Vallencia, Spain and I need it delivered to Pattaya, Thailand. I plan to join the crew in Singapore to Thailand.

I am looking for an experienced Captain that can do this job during the month of August.

My email is mike_misurka@hotmail.com

Thank you....
Old 25-07-2014, 01:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Crew wanted - Lagoon 440 Spain to Thailand - August

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWM View Post
I recently purchased a 2009 Lagoon 440 owner's model with most options including air conditioning and a water maker.

It is currently docked in Vallencia, Spain and I need it delivered to Pattaya, Thailand. I plan to join the crew in Singapore to Thailand.

I am looking for an experienced Captain that can do this job during the month of August.

My email is mike_misurka@hotmail.com

Thank you....
you do realise if you want it delivered in august,your only viable option is to go via the red sea,in september on the tail end of the sw monsoon.

the other alternative is crossing the atlantic,at the height of the hurricane season,then into the pacific at the start of the s pac cyclone season.

it might be an idea to look at shipping it!
Old 25-07-2014, 04:02   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have no problem waiting if someone wishes to sail this boat at a slightly later timeframe because of weather concerns the above poster mentioned.
Old 25-07-2014, 04:06   #4

Thanks for the reply. I have no problem waiting if someone wishes to sail this boat at a slightly later timeframe because of weather concerns the above poster mentioned.
Old 25-07-2014, 05:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
i might be interested,but realistically you are looking at leaving in november via the atlantic ,pacific with an arrival time march-april,using the prevailing trade winds,and avoiding cyclone season and hurricane season in the atlantic.
and pirates!

pm me if interested and i can give you a quote.
cheers atoll
Old 27-07-2014, 00:42   #6

Hello,
I agree with Atoll. Best to wait until the weather is right. However, even with perfect weather the trip is going to take a long time. Captain, crew, provisions for a few months, fees for the Canal, plenty of spares, etc. will be quite an expense. As for heading East, I would not want to. Dangerous, uncomfortable (for an American, anyway) and not an ideal route.

It would probably be easier, quicker AND cheaper to ship it. Just make sure you get a good rigger at each end of the trip.

If you still want to have a captain and crew deliver, I'll throw a quote out there as well.

Best of luck!
Old 27-07-2014, 01:21   #7

Boat: Currently Boatless!

For what it is worth, especially for the two throwing quotes at the OP, if you need a crew member, give me a shout, I've time on my hands! I have protected many ships going through the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean. If you eventually plan to go this way - count me out!! :-)
Old 27-07-2014, 03:15   #8

I can't get insurance anyways via the Suez so I'll likely just be shipping it on a carrier to Singapore then sailing from there.

Thanks...
Old 27-07-2014, 03:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, captadamhauck.

Old 27-07-2014, 07:44   #10

I had my boat delivered on that route using PYD, cost circa £15k.

Kept it at Ocean Marina in Pattaya - waste of time and money. Either dodging speedboats and jetskis off Ko Larn or navigating through rubbish strewn water to Samet or Ko Change. Most of the islands near Pattaya are the preserve of the Thai Navy and off limits.
another factor was the wear and tear on boat to get it there. If it must go to Pattaya, a ship to Singapore be best then own hull to Pattaya.

I would not trust Thai customs via Laem Chabang. Your boat may well be subject to ransom! You will need to register with Thai flag (or sail it out every three months). So there's VAT to pay on arrival plus you must de-register from home port.

Photo-shop might be your best friend for that piece of paper as otherwise you have the ball ache to re register when back in EU.

I used an agent top handle import - saved a packet on duty, a couple of hundred quid in an envelope helped get valuation down 50%.
Old 30-07-2014, 04:55   #11

Sorry, what does PYD mean? Unfortunately, the carrier ferry service is priced out of reach so I have to continue with hiring someone to ferry the boat. Maybe I'll have to end up using the Pacific route if I can't find someone experienced and willing to sail it through the Suez. 15k pounds seems a good price if you can recall who you used.

Sorry you found the water around Pattaya dirty but when you're coming from my place where the water is buried under 2' of ice for 6 months out of the year, some floating plastic bags doesn't seem so bad.

I remember going on a day trip 2 years back around Krabi and the ship was spewing oil out the back where everyone was snorkelling. Of course pointing that out was just met with a smile and laughing. Welcome to Thailand.
Old 30-07-2014, 06:48   #12

PYD was these guys - PYD - Crew | Professional Yacht Deliveries

I used Overseas Thailand (Laurent Kerivizic) to arrange import papers - it will need a Thai flag so you will be stung for Thai VAT etc. His contact in the land of slimes is www.overseas-global.com t +66 2634 5885

Given the hassles involved - better IMO to sell the boat in Europe and buy one locally in Thailand or SE Asia. Just make sure you check hull number and full history - lots of mortgaged boats end up in Thailand. Easy as pie to photoshop docs to get Thai registry until one day the repo man from Lombard etc turns up and nicks your dream back!

Better still - charter in Thailand. I sold up there 18 months ago (repatriating over 50M THB). Hell will freeze over before I get involved with that nest of snakes and Walter Mittys again.
Old 30-07-2014, 06:59   #13

Worth pointing out you can expect circa 800 extra engine hours plus at least 50% wear on sails (possibly new sail wardrobe) after a trip out on its own hull.

I also had to resand and reseal all floorboards, antifoul, cutlass bearing, full valet etc. Easily £7K

I don't know if your boat is EU tax paid and whether it can be reclaimed (I doubt it can). in which case selling it EU tax paid in the EU and buying in Thailand will save an additional 10-13% on the value of the boat, assuming rates of 18-20% within EU.
Old 30-07-2014, 07:38   #14

You lost me after the floorboards....valet? Foul? I have no idea what you're referring to as I'm new to this. You paid for new sails but used the engines for most of the crossing?

No tax has been paid as its US Registered. I'm not looking to make money on this but I see your point on the taxes.

When you had that many engine hours on the boat, was that because of a lack of wind or a mechanical issue with the sails? At 10 kts X 800 hours, that would be 8000 nm? So you used engines for the majority of the crossing? Could you clarify what you mean?

Thanks...

Mike
Old 30-07-2014, 09:17   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You lost me after the floorboards....valet? Foul? I have no idea what you're referring to as I'm new to this. You paid for new sails but used the engines for most of the crossing?

No tax has been paid as its US Registered. I'm not looking to make money on this but I see your point on the taxes.

When you had that many engine hours on the boat, was that because of a lack of wind or a mechanical issue with the sails? At 10 kts X 800 hours, that would be 8000 nm? So you used engines for the majority of the crossing? Could you clarify what you mean?

Thanks...

Mike
i'm guessing here but he probably means 800hrs on 2 engines,or 400 hrs on both,which would be 16 days under engine,which might seem alot,but the red sea can be very fickle,and not somewhere to hang around in case of pirates!

re the valeting and floorboards the red sea is basically 2000 miles of the sahara desert,so blown sand is a big problem,and will cover your boat with a layer of fine red dust,this gets walked in,and eventually finds it way into lockers,cabins,sails,rigging etc.

i generally try to cover all high wear areas,and cushions with protective materials on high end boats for long passages.

Tags
crew, crew wanted, lagoon, Lagoon 440, Spain, Thailand, wanted