Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 17:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Crew Position Open Taiwan, Japan, Alaska and BC

We currently have positions open for paying crew who wish to gain experience on the passage between Taiwan and Washington State onboard a 42 foot Jeanneau. Crew can join for one leg or the whole voyage. Route is Taiwan - Japan - Alaska - British Colombia - Washington State. This is a good position for inexperienced crew looking to gain sea miles, as crew will be expected to contribute financially toward the expedition. For more information please send an email to captainryanlangley at gmail.

RL2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 21:21   #2

Re: Crew Position Open Taiwan, Japan, Alaska and BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL2019 View Post
We currently have positions open for paying crew who wish to gain experience on the passage between Taiwan and Washington State onboard a 42 foot Jeanneau. Crew can join for one leg or the whole voyage. Route is Taiwan - Japan - Alaska - British Colombia - Washington State. This is a good position for inexperienced crew looking to gain sea miles, as crew will be expected to contribute financially toward the expedition. For more information please send an email to captainryanlangley at gmail.
"Paying crew" as far as "sharing and splitting real expenses" - or are you running a charter business?

windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 22:23   #3
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityxx View Post
"Paying crew" as far as "sharing and splitting real expenses" - or are you running a charter business?
Why don't you send him an email to discuss. He advised and those genuinely interested can contact him.. "privately"
If NOT interested, why get involved?
Good luck in your journey RL2019
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 22:30   #4

I ask here because I've contacted a few in the past couple months that say on the forums that it's "shared expense"..

Then when you contact them offline it's obvious their just using it as way to make money off their crew.

Charging way above and beyond what shared expenses would be.

I thought it was a fair question that I and many others will have.
windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 23:21   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

RL2019 is a “worldwide marine service provider” so I’d hazard a guess that the service being provided is crewing on a blue water voyage. Sounds fun, depending on too many factors to list here.

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 23:33   #6
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityxx View Post

Charging way above and beyond what shared expenses would be.

I thought it was a fair question that I and many others will have.
Hi Windy,
Understand and not trying to be confrontational, but "chartering" is a loaded legal minefield when cruising internationally in a 43' boat, so I can understand his need for privacy.

I am curious what you would consider as fair charges for this type of long voyage?

Obviously it can vary dramatically based on the standards and changing conditions that eat up consumables, parts and red tape fees.

What would you include in "shared expenses" if it was completely transparent?
Or
Would you prefer a per diem fee?..
If yes...
,then if he charged a daily rate, what amount in USD is fair?

Curious what others also think.
Old 18-03-2019, 23:45   #7
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfisher View Post
RL2019 is a “worldwide marine service provider” so I’d hazard a guess that the service being provided is crewing on a blue water voyage. Sounds fun, depending on too many factors to list here.

Cheers!
Did not pick up on his business as delivery crew.
If the boat is in delivery mode then personally I would not be paying as crew, except for my own transport cost to and from boat..

If its a cruise with a fun itinerary of stops along the way...I would pay
Old 19-03-2019, 10:20   #8

I have heard of crew from Japan->Alaska paying U$20 a day.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Windy,
Understand and not trying to be confrontational, but "chartering" is a loaded legal minefield when cruising internationally in a 43' boat, so I can understand his need for privacy.

I am curious what you would consider as fair charges for this type of long voyage?

Obviously it can vary dramatically based on the standards and changing conditions that eat up consumables, parts and red tape fees.

What would you include in "shared expenses" if it was completely transparent?
Or
Would you prefer a per diem fee?..
If yes...
,then if he charged a daily rate, what amount in USD is fair?

Curious what others also think.
As I understand it - under the British book of Rules - paying for food = crew

Paying for running of ship ie fuel, marina fees etc... = passenger

A little bit about Chile http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:17   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

There is a 14 night cruise from Japan to Vancouver via Russia for a $1000 per person. Thats what I would be paying for a cruise in those waters........
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:19   #11
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
As I understand it - under the British book of Rules - paying for food = crew

Paying for running of ship ie fuel, marina fees etc... = passenger
Don't quite understand what British Book.of Rules is, but legally a "passenger" is a person paying to be transported and accommodated.
They do not participate in the operation of the vessel.

But back to the reality of cruising on a small 40 ft boat with 4 people.

If not a delivery (which means crew should not pay) what is Fair?

My thinking:
1. You are living in close quarters for extended periods so #1 priority should be compatibility even Friendship !

2. If you are included and considered in the recreational side of the cruise..ie. Land tours..diving/fishing and exploring, then you are being treated as family or friend and I think you should reciprocate.

3. On a bareboat charter for 2 weeks what would you spend all out and if you broke something... Who would pay for it?
(I'm out of touch can someone give me a number?)

Now compare this to say 2 months exploring the Japanese Islands starting in Taiwan..... What is that worth to you?

Assuming you are friends I think the only "Fair" answer is
What you can afford.

If the boat owner is on a tight budget, help him out and contribute willingly.

If you as a boat owner really just want some extra compatible crew for the longer passages between enjoyment stops, then I would take their budget into account and come up with a mutual agreement.
(Privately)

It should not be about money, but developing friendships and shared experiences .
Old 19-03-2019, 17:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Don't quite understand what British Book.of Rules is, but legally a "passenger" is a person paying to be transported and accommodated.
They do not participate in the operation of the vessel.
Must I look everything up??

The Merchant Shipping (Vessels in Commercial Use for Sport or Pleasure) Regulations 1998

The Merchant Shipping (Vessels in Commercial Use for Sport or Pleasure) Regulations 1998

“pleasure vessel” means–
(a)any vessel which at the time it is being used is:
(ii)on a voyage or excursion which is one for which the owner does not receive money for or in connection with operating the vessel or carrying any person, other than as a contribution to the direct expenses of the operation of the vessel incurred during the voyage or excursion;

All came into being after the loss of the Marques

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bark_Marques

Did away with the idea of paying crew.... if you pay you are a passenger whether you are working or not.

Somewhere else it is written that anything other than paying for food and refreshments makes you a passenger.... you may get away with fuel and marina costs....

The French and others are currently using part of the act - or at least the French or their flag state equivalent - to get around the ban on illegal chartering in Patagonia....

this bit..
'(b)any vessel wholly owned by or on behalf of a members' club formed for the purpose of sport or pleasure which, at the time it is being used, is used only for the sport or pleasure of members of that club or their immediate family, and for the use of which any charges levied are paid into club funds and applied for the general use of the club;'

Some years ago a UK flagged yacht turned up in a northern Chilean port a month or more overdue with 'passengers' aboard.... he was in more than than a little bit of bother in both Chile and the UK.....

Old 19-03-2019, 18:40   #13
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Must I look everything up??

away with the idea of paying crew.... if you pay you are a passenger whether you are working or not.

Somewhere else it is written that anything other than paying for food and refreshments makes you a passenger.... you may get away with fuel and marina costs....
Lol... honestly I did Google "British Book of Rules" and all I got was a book about Naval Tactics and lesson's in Grammar

The intent of that EU agreement was really aimed at Superyachts who actively chartered
I was running them at the time and all the chartering Med boats were grappling with certifications and licenses over a certain tonnage....know the history quite well and the politics behind it. (The Brits being pushed by the French)

These days, Super yachts who actively charter, carry two levels of Certification as part of their Registry
Commercial and Private.

Reason being that Operating Costs, including local income taxes and Insurance Premiums are much higher when operating as a Commercial Yacht.

When chartering Port and agency fees, positioning costs are part of the charter price on top of all normal operating expenses

When the beneficial Owner is on board, Captain provides Registry showing Private Certification and the local BIR and Port Authority leave them mostly alone.

(ii)on a voyage or excursion which is one for which the owner does not receive money for or in connection with operating the vessel or carrying any person, other than as a contribution to the direct expenses of the operation of the vessel incurred during the voyage or excursion;

But "expenses" is a purposely vague definition that in the context of our 40 ft boat in Japan is better left for private discussions with interested parties, rather than trying to pigeon hole via a forum like this.
Old 20-03-2019, 03:06   #14

Its not just superyachts on the UK register that have to comply..... these are the UK rules for small vessels ( under 24 metres ) operating commercially.. https://assets.publishing.service.go...85649/blue.pdf
And if you take more than 'a contribution to the direct expenses of the operation of the vessel incurred during the voyage or excursion;' - as mentioned above - you will be operating illegally.... simples....

Which may be why I have never seen a UK flagged yacht in the charter trade in Patagonia....

Old 20-03-2019, 16:56   #15
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Getting back to the Japanese trip and my questions in Post # 11..... What is Fair?

Tags
alaska, crew, Japan, Taiwan