Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 14:02   #1

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
Considering Private Charter (Start Up ) in Tampa area - Looking for the Right Partner

Looking for a potential sailing charter startup partner (Tampa area) with sailing/diving credentials and a unique customer service attitude.

We are sailors (Husband & Wife) who lived aboard and cruised for several years. We own our own 60 ft classic Ketch. We love our boat but no longer live aboard and we don’t anticipate returning to the cruising lifestyle. We are, however, toying with putting our vessel into private charter service and we are willing to Captain and Chef some charters.

We want to specialize in custom excursions for 2-4 passengers/customers. We want a partner (or partner couple) to be the “front end” of this endeavor and live aboard, maintain and love our boat in a fair work/profit sharing arrangement.

This is not a salaried opportunity. This will be a profit sharing arrangement with an owner/investor. It will be a written agreement. We prefer a rated captain with sailing endorsement, but we are willing (and qualified) to assess skills and deal with credentials later to find the right fit.

If you:
-can qualify for TWIC (and hold a US passport),
- are a seasoned sailor over age 27 (Person or Couple),
- have dive experience,
- are great at serving others,
- are a capable DIY’er,
- are willing to work with a partner...

...We’d like to meet and talk to see what’s possible with the right Partner.

We can offer:
- The charter vessel
- Continuous Live aboard arrangements
- Training and Maintenance instruction
- Financing of operational charter expenses
- Website and advertising materials

PM for additional info.

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:01   #2

Re: Considering Private Charter (Start Up ) in Tampa area - Looking for the Right Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
Looking for a potential sailing charter startup partner (Tampa area) with sailing/diving credentials and a unique customer service attitude.

We are sailors (Husband & Wife) who lived aboard and cruised for several years. We own our own 60 ft classic Ketch. We love our boat but no longer live aboard and we don’t anticipate returning to the cruising lifestyle. We are, however, toying with putting our vessel into private charter service and we are willing to Captain and Chef some charters.

We want to specialize in custom excursions for 2-4 passengers/customers. We want a partner (or partner couple) to be the “front end” of this endeavor and live aboard, maintain and love our boat in a fair work/profit sharing arrangement.

This is not a salaried opportunity. This will be a profit sharing arrangement with an owner/investor. It will be a written agreement. We prefer a rated captain with sailing endorsement, but we are willing (and qualified) to assess skills and deal with credentials later to find the right fit.

If you:
-can qualify for TWIC (and hold a US passport),
- are a seasoned sailor over age 27 (Person or Couple),
- have dive experience,
- are great at serving others,
- are a capable DIY’er,
- are willing to work with a partner...

...We’d like to meet and talk to see what’s possible with the right Partner.

We can offer:
- The charter vessel
- Continuous Live aboard arrangements
- Training and Maintenance instruction
- Financing of operational charter expenses
- Website and advertising materials

PM for additional info.

TMT2
Over 27? At any given time the Coast Guard has dozens of men and women under 27 commanding cutters, shore stations, and flying as pilot in command of aircraft. On the flip side, back when I was one of those under 27 "irresponsibles" I rescued a 30 and 60 year old who simply ran their boat into the California coastline, on a clear night! Not to mention I see 25 year olds start successful businesses in the Valley every day. So 27 gets you pretty much nothing except someone who's existed and managed to not walk in front of a bus for 27 years.

While that kind of discrimination may be legal (until you have 15 employees in FL) it's still discrimination with all the irrationally and contempt that is part and parcel of any discrimination. Maybe think about judging a person based on the person and their skills and experience, not a preconceived notion of the demographic group they belong to over which they have no control? It will actually be better for you and your business venture as well as society as a whole.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:05   #3

Re: Considering Private Charter (Start Up ) in Tampa area - Looking for the Right Par

Wow...if you are qualified...take a chance and contact us? Please don’t limit yourself!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
Wow...if you are qualified...take a chance and contact us? Please don’t limit yourself!
I'm age protected in the other direction. But my son isn't. I'd trust him implicitly with this kind of setup while there are plenty of my 45 year old contemporaries who I wouldn't trust to take the helm for 5 minutes! He's not going to reply to this ad and ad's like this that tell people like him they're not welcome, very explicitly. I'm not going to recommend the couple of hard charging, very capable coasties I know who are getting off their obligated service and would otherwise have been a great choice, because they were also explicitly told they weren't welcome to apply. In addition to discrimination being ugly, it's not good for you either!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:05   #5

We appreciate your opinion Redneckrob - Thanks for contributing.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:37   #6

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

your advert would be illegal in the EU we have laws that stop discrimination
for anything.
Do not really care either way about your post as it reads well and is a great opportunity for people , but any discrimination in my book is wrong.
As said above Judge the person , not their Age , color, Disability gender.
IMHO OFC
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:38   #7

Hi, Leia and I might be interested in knowing more about the private charter. We live in Sarasota, I have a 6 pack, Leia is a new sailer, we both cook. I'm handy about boats, 45', 22', 21' LOA. Classroom instruction ongoing via USPSS. I've crewed Cuba to Belize, Regatta from St Petersburg to Cuba, cruised to Bahamas. We're both retired, very agile, physically fit. Financially independent.

Look forward to speaking with you.

Ron
941-320-0860
SarasotaRon60@gmail.com
Ron Babinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:57   #8

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Several insurance companies will not cover until a certain age.
Truck driving comes to mind, you can be licensed at 18 but very few insurance companies will cover you.
Statistics don't lie, let's not attack someone for being practical.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:13   #9

I am amazed that stating an age could cause so much trouble. How about being constructive in what is a great opportunity for someone. I am sure that the writer will by now have reconsidered her requirement of over 27 as it was said in all innocence.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:27   #10

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

When I had my trucking company insurance rates for the entire company doubled if I hired below a specific age. I have worked for several companies before I was 25 where the insurance would not allow me to drive a company vehicle.
Most companies base rates on age. My current vessel policy has age restrictions on operators. (IE:to cover younger operator I have to pay increased premiums)
Why is this surprising so many?
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:39   #11

Thanks to those seeing opportunity and potential vice “discrimination by design.” Happy to amend our screening criteria:

If you think you’d like to introduce yourself for an interview, please know that we are particularly interested in mature minded, creative and fun people that we must “trust” to operate a large vessel carrying up to 6 passenger/customers paying for great service.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Simply amazing! Are any of you guys interested in this job? Or is this a handy way to give someone grief?

I stopped doing charters as a regular diet a little while back- otherwise I would apply for this. There may be exceptional Masters who are 25 that are qualified. AND if (s)he wanted this job AND had the fortitude to apply- my guess is the OP being a rational person would speak to him/her.

Geez!!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:50   #13

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Simply amazing! Are any of you guys interested in this job? Or is this a handy way to give someone grief?

I stopped doing charters as a regular diet a little while back- otherwise I would apply for this. There may be exceptional Masters who are 25 that are qualified. AND if (s)he wanted this job AND had the fortitude to apply- my guess is the OP being a rational person would speak to him/her.

Geez!!!
There is no grief , just a fact of life, if one cannot except facts then blow me down.
Also everyone keeps going on about insurance which can be asked for age differences as it is completely different from a job or opportunity to work , so keep all you hairs in your head.
As this is a discussion board were there are different opinions allowed and were the OP can then decide for themselves what information they take out of it.

P.S it is not the E.U's fault that their labour and discrimination laws are more protective of people than other nations, again just another fact that we in the EU take for granted and are happy they exist.
I wonder if the advert suggested no one over 50 can apply how many of ye old time cruisers would get their nose out of joint
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:54   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

https://www.google.com/search?q=wow+...VJIXNvaycN2FM:
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:48   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMarc View Post

Nice!! Glad another person with a license saw this as funny—— in a sad sort of way
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter