Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 14:05   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Boatman! Transportation Worker Identification Credential; TWIC. To get one, you must be a US citizen, submit to a FBI/Homeland Security background check, show your current passport, driver's license and social security card. You will also be fingerprinted and photographed. A fee of about $150 USD is to be paid, during your processing; the TWIC ID card is good for 5 years. If your background is squeaky clean, you can get your TWIC within 10 business days. You must show up in person, to pick it up and to have it activated; it contains a bar code, a magnetic stripe, an embedded chip and your digitized picture. During your pick-up of the card, expect more fingerprints to confirm the original ones taken.
Now, having said that, wouldn't you really want your crew members to carry their TWIC cards and their current passports? I do! After all, your neck and licenses are on the line! (pilot license, weapons license, pharmacy license, among others.)

Mauritz
An ounce of caution...
In the UK the Govt does also do all that . It's called the Sex Offenders Register. Folks over here don't usually volunteer to get on........different ideas of being "Free" I guess .

Of course getting a clean Criminal Record check means that either the person is harmless .........never been put in the right / wrong situation (stress or temptation!).........or simply never been caught
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 14:16   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Quote:
Hi Boatman! Transportation Worker Identification Credential; TWIC. To get one, you must be a US citizen, submit to a FBI/Homeland Security background check, show your current passport, driver's license and social security card. You will also be fingerprinted and photographed. A fee of about $150 USD is to be paid, during your processing; the TWIC ID card is good for 5 years. If your background is squeaky clean, you can get your TWIC within 10 business days. You must show up in person, to pick it up and to have it activated; it contains a bar code, a magnetic stripe, an embedded chip and your digitized picture. During your pick-up of the card, expect more fingerprints to confirm the original ones taken.
Now, having said that, wouldn't you really want your crew members to carry their TWIC cards and their current passports? I do! After all, your neck and licenses are on the line! (pilot license, weapons license, pharmacy license, among others.)

Mauritz
An ounce of caution...

How can I expect my crew to carry more than me...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 14:49   #48

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Boatman! In addition, anyone applying for ANY USCG license MUST have a TWIC ID card; including the "6-pack captain license".

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 21-06-2013, 14:49   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Wow, I have a DEA license, an License to practice medicine, but not a TWIC. Would you take one of those instead? What if I promise to be good but really want to crew on your boat
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 14:56   #50

Hi Newt! A DEA is an excellent license to have; you're welcome to fly/sail with us. My wife has one too; Ob/Gyn doc.

Mauritz
Old 21-06-2013, 15:06   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Boatman! In addition, anyone applying for ANY USCG license MUST have a TWIC ID card; including the "6-pack captain license".

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Boy.... England truly is the Land of the Free...
all I had to do was show I could handle a boat single handed in all instances with competence.. and Bingo... International Helmsman..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-06-2013, 15:42   #52
cruiser

It's not the card that's the problem.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 16:55   #53
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

My question for the card is, would I lose valuable talent by only accepting TWIC holders? In a heavy blow I want experience and calm minds, not a dweeb holding his TWIC card between his chattering teeth. I can see there are some benefits, but will it help me during tough times?
la vida nueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:13   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the best sailors i ever knew besides my uncle were derelict sailors. they HAVE to SAIL, and they watch their stuff well, as they cannot afford to replace it. the derelict sailors who SAIL, not the ones moored or anchored and do not move. real sailors who do not have shiny stuff or all the latest junk.

i test the proposed crews abilities to understand plain words and follow simple commands.
if that doesnt work, i tell them i will be sailing my leaky wreck 100 miles offshore and i donot have a lifeboat nor epirb.

that doesnt fail to remove them from in front of my eyes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:33   #55

Hiya Zee! I agree with you that many a rascaling sailor are among the best there is in handling any issues that arise while under sail. I have known many of them, but would not enjoy living their lifestyles or working with them. I do NOT drink, smoke, chase skirts, do drugs, to just name a few things that SOME of these sailors engage in. I just do not want to worry about my well being or the crew's well being, if I bring in someone with an unknown background on board. I realize that requiring each crew member to have a TWIC, is a security over-kill. What other options a captain must do, to have a semblance of security aboard his/her ship?

Mauritz
Old 21-06-2013, 17:42   #56
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

I like the idea of sailing with guys who have lots more experience than me under their belt. I never lost anything by learning from others. I am a stickler at sea about no drugs, cept the legal ones and some for sea sickness, no booze, no bitching because if it is cold everyone is cold, if it is rough, everyone has the unsettled feeling, if we are not getting a lot of sleep everyone has the same deprivation problems. But we all have to learn, too so I like passing what little I know along and encouraging new faces to learn new skills.

Do all the toys make a better sailor? Or do better sailors have all the toys? I have seen people get totally distracted trying to make the new toy work when they should have been watching the crew, can see it both ways.
la vida nueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:43   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hiya Zee! I agree with you that many a rascaling sailor are among the best there is in handling any issues that arise while under sail. I have known many of them, but would not enjoy living their lifestyles or working with them. I do NOT drink, smoke, chase skirts, do drugs, to just name a few things that SOME of these sailors engage in. I just do not want to worry about my well being or the crew's well being, if I bring in someone with an unknown background on board. I realize that requiring each crew member to have a TWIC, is a security over-kill. What other options a captain must do, to have a semblance of security aboard his/her ship?

Mauritz
A nice solid 'Rounders Bat' works well...
You sure you want to rescue me...

Old 21-06-2013, 17:44   #58
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Hi GoBoating! I lived in several countries. There are wonderful people everywhere I lived. Having a crew for an extended voyage requires me to be more cautious about who to pick. It is very difficult to check the criminal background of foreigners. When I stop by a Customs Office, I do not want to be surprised about what my crew did NOT disclose to me prior to departure. With a TWIC ID and a current passport, I have one less issue to worry about. In every place my crew and I visited, I sailed through the paperwork without a hitch; 40+ countries.

Mauritz
Better be cautious than sorry!
I'd prefer not to sail with a Stasi commander anyway.

Dave
Old 21-06-2013, 17:46   #59

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the best sailors i ever knew besides my uncle were derelict sailors. they HAVE to SAIL, and they watch their stuff well, as they cannot afford to replace it. the derelict sailors who SAIL, not the ones moored or anchored and do not move. real sailors who do not have shiny stuff or all the latest junk.

i test the proposed crews abilities to understand plain words and follow simple commands.
if that doesnt work, i tell them i will be sailing my leaky wreck 100 miles offshore and i donot have a lifeboat nor epirb.

that doesnt fail to remove them from in front of my eyes.

It would be great to cruise without compass, gps, auto pilot, etc and navigate by the stars, sun, incoming swell, flight path of birds, sense of smell, etc. Wonder how sympathetic the Australian coast guard would be when they pick me up.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:50   #60

Hi Boatman! Yes, just keep that ELT by you...and someday, you will hear swooshing sound splashing/landing by you and plucking you out! Silly goose! HONK!

Mauritz

Tags
crew, paracelle