Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 07:09   #136
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Checklist For Voluntary Crew

Going transat in an older and well used vessel designed and built for racing is not a guarantee for disaster - but it does up the boat risks. Of course having experienced crew and skipper onboard also reduced risk .....and you can tell that even from an armchair!

If "you" can't assess the risks of a voyage then don't go.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 14:37   #137
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
Google "Cheeki Rafiki".

Professional delivery crew, and the relevance of your comment is ????

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-06-2014, 20:54   #138

Incorrect, Dave. At least two of the four crew (Paul Goslin and Steve Warren) were amateurs with no prior blue water experience, doing the passage on a volunteer basis.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47   #139

Sail in September 2014 somewhere from Europe to destination: Oceania or Caribbean
Hi, we are two hardworking girls in the age of 22 and 24. We both have experience from sailing a 30 Foot Comfort boat with family. Now we want to expand our knowledge and enjoy life while working on a boat. Earlier experience: hotel, restaurant, bar, housekeeping, race horses and farm work. Fast learners, inventive, dedicated.
We are aware of the fact that living/working on a boat is not a bed of roses, we have done it before for a shorter amount of time, and have full respect for you not wanting a “lazy backpacker” on your boat. We know its hard work, tiny living facilities and not much privacy.
We are both tidy and organized.

Still we are very interested in your future trip on the ocean, so if you would like to know a bit more about us don’t hesitate to send us an email.

All the best.
Lisa and Annie
Lisasofiefors@gmail.com
LisaSofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 14:36   #140

Send a message via Skype™ to Ricardos V.

I see, This post expanded wery well, congratulations

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ricardos V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 16:30   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Went through this tread again, and learned a lot more. Having crew aboard now for a few passages, I have developed a hierarchy of crew. When I go for more than an overnight on the big blue wet thing I want:
1. One or two other watch captains. The must have open ocean experience in a boat about 40 feet or smaller. They take watch while I am sleeping. I must trust them 100%. The hardest crew position to fill. I pay for this position.
2. Crew- usually there to get experience. Often have been out on the ocean, but only briefly or in a minor role. I help with their expenses and provide food.
3. NOB's- no ocean experience, and maybe limited sailing experience. Since they are the highest liability, they provide $$ for transportation to and from the boat, and food and any other expenses that the boat incurs. I am not providing a school- they pull their own weight...but they are not given any stipend.
I am no Capt. Bligh but I do not allow smoking, drinking or sex on the boat. Relationships are strictly professional. So far I have taken crew for only shorter (less than 1000km) distances. I feel ashamed when someone writes in on how their captain tried to take advantage of them. I feel a responsibility for their safety, and my crew in turn works together as a team (usually happily). But docking at 0200 in a current happens too.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 18:06   #142
cruiser

How, exactly, do you enforce the ban on sex?
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 23:10   #143
cruiser

Alot of smart advice given here and some humorous stories. However i feel i should clarify something here about the TWIC-ID card which replaced the old I-94 once homeland security was formed.It is a criminal record check of USA/fbi databases and not Interpol or other countries. Years ago seaman would have to get a I-94{perhaps it was a Y-94} if they got in a barfight or DUI{while on USA}.Otherwise they had to stay onboard freighters or in the bonded area of ports.These I-94s were also required by truckers entering from Mexico and Canada but after 9/11 the proverbial "barndoor got closed". To reciprocate with this hardline approach now Canada is disallowing entry completely to some with old/new DUI/barfight charges on USA soil unless USA person has waiver/pardon.Meanwhile serious smugglers with Interpol records go about their business unharrassed. A passport is only an ID check that the picture matches the name and is not a document that requires a clear criminal record to acquire.Most countries cannot deny their citizen a passport and many have passports legally held of several countries at the same time. just read www.international living.com to see how easy this can be done later.Some women convicted of murder also have passports in both their legal and spousal surnames. Sooo if you really want to check criminal backgrounds of people and dont know a detective willing to use their personal PIN number to access backgroundchecks use a criminal lawyer{lawyer who practises criminal law frequently}. As part of their job and because they are an "officer of the court" they can access the databases to check prior convictions as part of their normal business of making "plea bargains" with the prosecutors.Also because of the attorney/client privacy privilege afforded by the 5th or 1st {i guess} they dont have to divulge who is checking what.The "google searches" only bring up what the media reports.Many spousal assaults or "crimes of passion" cannot be discovered with a google search. Background checks of people outside of the USA can be difficult even for the FBI as some convictions in some countries are not even in the Interpol database. SO perhaps the old saying by truckers that "picking up hitchhikers is an unnecessary risk" should also be heeded by sailors in a hurry for crew.Personally i wouldnt leave a mooring in some of the boats i have seen without liferafts/dingies or even a recently checked EPIRB. Some of these floating wrecks remind me of a comedy called "Captian Ron" with Kurt Russel.My advice is use a lawyer to checkout the Skipper before you crew a boat as well as lots of creeps got million dollar yachts. Stay safe and fairwinds.
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 12:32   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
How, exactly, do you enforce the ban on sex?
It's a relatively small boat. I just don't want general hospital on my boat. If they want to go off somewhere when we dock- of course that is their business. But treating each other as sailors is where I am.
Office romances can look elsewhere.
Old 21-07-2014, 13:30   #145
cruiser

I was thinking more along the lines of a couple.

If we board together, have slept together for 21 years, and sleep together on your boat, I'm not seeing how you can prevent us from having sex on your boat.
Old 21-07-2014, 20:24   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of a couple.

If we board together, have slept together for 21 years, and sleep together on your boat, I'm not seeing how you can prevent us from having sex on your boat.
Put you on different watches?
Old 21-07-2014, 20:32   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That is different, and none of my business IMHO.
Old 21-07-2014, 20:35   #148
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Put you on different watches?
pretty strict rules and somewhat nuts. no sex on boat? glad i never crew with you. no smoking or drinking at timers i understand but during whole passage i say go. Good luck. Ilaugh at these posts and i fell into ownership decades after sailing from 19-30 years old .Never read or heard such rules as everything was a party onboaRD including the unknown.WOW. hope persons are more picky because you make it sound like no fun.fairwinds.
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 20:58   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To put this in perspective, I only bring crew along when doing a dangerous passage and need backup. It is only for a few days. Usually they are too wet, and tired to think of other activities. And is it fair to have members of my crew who are young and single listen to others doing the deed?
But on the other hand, I have never had this come up, so for me it is just a imaginary problem. I like to have fun cruising as well as the next person. Just never had this come up. Maybe because I have mostly stable, married people on board. I did belong in a class with my wife where she had passes made at her by other students of the class, but consensual relations between single members of the crew? Just has never happened.
Maybe I am boring. Maybe I attract boring and good sailors. So be it.
Old 21-07-2014, 21:03   #150
cruiser

I conclude that you can't enforce your ban on sex, and that the only thing you've accomplished is that you're the only one on the boat that doesn't know about folks hooking up. That, and a reason not to trust the skipper.

I suggest you review the issue before that baby in your arms reaches puberty, because a ban on sex and selective enforcement simply won't work then.

Tags
crew, paracelle