Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 16:35   #1

Caribbean to South Pacific

Looking for crew in the Lesser Antilles, to go down the chain and across the top of South America to Colombia. I will be taking a break in the Cartagena/San Blas area before heading through the canal to do a voyage in the South Pacific visiting the more remote spots outside of the standard “milk run” route. I tend to enjoy cruising destinations where there is no airport, has infrequent supply ship visits and has less than five visiting yachts per season.

The Marquesas are beautiful but with several hundred boats crowding the anchorages in March-May, I prefer doing the southern route initially. Desired destinations include the Australs, back up towards Tokelau and a few Polynesian islands that are politically part of the Solomons. Must stop in Fiji to re provision and surf Cloud break! Eventually loop back to Hawaii or continue towards Micronesia.

Share expenses, alcohol free environment, minimalist approach (little engine use, anchor out whenever possible, live at local standard of living). Fluent or at least learning Spanish is a big plus as I would appreciate a study partner.

Skipper has over 70,000 miles experience which includes a single handed circumnavigation (below Africa, Panama Canal)

Boat specs, my sailing resume and past voyages can all be seen at sailingonpilgrim.wordpress.com. If interested, you are welcome to couchsurf and check things out. My profile is under "Jonas Collins"
Old 17-11-2015, 08:59   #2

Re: Caribbean to South Pacific

Just arrived in Bermuda after seven days sailing from the entrance to the Chesapeake. Will depart here soon and sail straight south to a destination in the top of the lesser Antilles like Antigua or St. Martin. Should arrive by the first week of December. Will update again.
Old 18-11-2015, 19:26   #3

Can you tell me a little about your typical day to day? When and how often do you go ashore? Other details?

I just got back from a 2 month trip in the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico.
Old 19-11-2015, 06:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

I am in Saint Martin now and am very familiar with the windwards. Send a email as I would love to see Columbia from the water, my tenses and conjugation are not perfect but my Spanish is highly functional. Keithcroghan@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-12-2015, 06:29   #5

Just arrived in the lesser Antilles. Current location is Anguilla.
Old 14-12-2015, 08:22   #6

Moved to St. Martin. Planning a trip to Saba and surrounding islands.
Old 22-12-2015, 23:33   #7

Good to hear you are on the move....Enjoy!

C-man
Old 25-12-2015, 03:05   #8

Hi! Are you still looking for crew?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-12-2015, 04:23   #9

Yes. You can email me at lucidsalt followed by the at symbol with the Google service or PM me here.
Old 25-12-2015, 04:30   #10

Hi

Ok great, what are the dates for the trip?and do you have any extra details about the boat/crew/trip?

Thank you
Old 25-12-2015, 04:31   #11

Would you cover costs to get to the boat perhaps?
Old 26-12-2015, 03:33   #12

You will have to pay for your own transportation costs to the boat. If this cost is high, then perhaps it would be better to find a boat where you are located now. I recommend this in general as it is obviously a better situation when you are able to check out a boat and its skipper before any commitments are made. In my original post I invite interested persons to couchsurf for a couple of days to check things out.

This is a recreational cruise and is a shared expense arrangement. Currently, the boat is located in the lesser Antilles where all the passages are easy and of short duration. Crew duties are very few and are actually more fun than work. This is proven by the large number of bare boat charters in the area. People pay two to three hundred dollars a day to rent a boat similar to mine to do the same sailing I have planned for the next month or two. The boat expense contribution I am asking for which is based on fuel, clearance fees, moorage and marine park permits is comparatively so low that it is barely a consideration.

If you are looking for a job in the yact industry, I don't recommend you use crew list sites(unless there is a paid category). There are many charter companies and yacht themed tourist businesses where you can directly apply.
Old 28-12-2015, 10:36   #13

Boat: Laser 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Antonio91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidsalt View Post
Looking for crew in the Lesser Antilles, to go down the chain and across the top of South America to Colombia. I will be taking a break in the Cartagena/San Blas area before heading through the canal to do a voyage in the South Pacific visiting the more remote spots outside of the standard “milk run” route. I tend to enjoy cruising destinations where there is no airport, has infrequent supply ship visits and has less than five visiting yachts per season.

The Marquesas are beautiful but with several hundred boats crowding the anchorages in March-May, I prefer doing the southern route initially. Desired destinations include the Australs, back up towards Tokelau and a few Polynesian islands that are politically part of the Solomons. Must stop in Fiji to re provision and surf Cloud break! Eventually loop back to Hawaii or continue towards Micronesia.

Share expenses, alcohol free environment, minimalist approach (little engine use, anchor out whenever possible, live at local standard of living). Fluent or at least learning Spanish is a big plus as I would appreciate a study partner.

Skipper has over 70,000 miles experience which includes a single handed circumnavigation (below Africa, Panama Canal)

Boat specs, my sailing resume and past voyages can all be seen at sailingonpilgrim.wordpress.com. If interested, you are welcome to couchsurf and check things out. My profile is under "Jonas Collins"
Hi,
I am 24 years old. I would love to cross the Atlantic Ocean and then reach Cape Horn and Antartica after my Master Degree in Electrical Engineering I had 2 weeks ago. Another option would be to sail in the Ocean Pacific. I am very open-minded to different options. I just want to sail in the Ocean and to do great experiences.
I have a dinghy, a laser 16, in Italy, with a great experience in the Mediterranean Sea across Italy. Unfortunately I never sailed across the Ocean but I am sturdy and very curious to do it. I am a very passionate and available person to help and work cooperatively on the boat.

Kind Regards,

Antonio
Old 09-01-2016, 15:14   #14

Hi, lucidsalt!
I'm interested in your itinerary and am sending you a PM now (:
Old 12-01-2016, 06:34   #15

I have just arrived in Martinique. Are you nearby?

Tags
Caribbean, rib, south pacific