Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 23:15   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Best Yacht Delivery Price to be Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
No....you get what you negotiate !
Perhaps but if you negotiate the "cheapest" price you'll likely get the cheapest quality.
Old 24-09-2016, 07:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Perhaps but if you negotiate the "cheapest" price you'll likely get the cheapest quality.
I am reminded of the old adage of you can get fast, you can get good or you can get cheap. Pick two of three.

Google designers triangle but it applies to many things in life.
Old 24-09-2016, 08:09   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Yacht Delivery Price to be Found

I've done a few 'new owner assists'.. in fact just finished one on a DuFour425GL..
I don't really instruct as such.. I encourage the owner to do as much of the boat handling as possible during the trip..
For example.. we entered Bonifaccio for fuel.. anyone familiar knows its a long narrow port with steep cliff/hills either side and very busy.
I put the owner at the helm for the entry then advised from the bow as we negotiated our way to the fuel dock and turned head to wind just past it while we waited some 1/2 hour to get alongside.. he sweated a bit at first using to much rudder compensation but after a few minutes he got the hang of using thrust and rudder to maintain good control.. he'll make a good skipper..
At the end of the trip we had a spare day while waiting for my flight so we went out for the day so he could master tacking and gybe sequences for when solo.. I demo'd the technique first for him.. then the rest of the day was spent with him working out his rhythm and sequences whilst I watched on and made an occasional comment.. like try and organise/tidy your lines so they are ready to use as soon as you have settled on your new course.. little things that folks often miss.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-09-2016, 13:17   #19

Boatman, I also do boat assisted voyages and it gives all of us a sense of achievement. Today I have returned from what should have been a 3 week Southampton to Gibraltar. Mid English Channel F4-5 slight to moderate and he said it was too much, confirmed he was scared and politely asked me to return to Southampton.

As a 68yr old I use my retirement to do this, having started sailing back in 1955.
Old 29-09-2016, 13:29   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
Boatman, I also do boat assisted voyages and it gives all of us a sense of achievement. Today I have returned from what should have been a 3 week Southampton to Gibraltar. Mid English Channel F4-5 slight to moderate and he said it was too much, confirmed he was scared and politely asked me to return to Southampton.

As a 68yr old I use my retirement to do this, having started sailing back in 1955.
Welcome to CF Katoema..
Beat me by 10yrs.. 1965.
You weren't one of the Famous Five by any chance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f5press1995.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	132017  

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-09-2016, 13:35   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Yes, that has happened to a lot of people I know luckily, not to me but I do know several of my owner assist boats have never moved since the initial voyage and were put up for sale shortly afterwards. I'm always slightly amazed that people will spend a huge amount of money on something that they don't understand- and haven't even found out before hand if they (or often - their wife/husband) are going to like it or not.
Old 29-09-2016, 14:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hope OceanVentures appreciates all these 'Bumps' his thread is getting..

Old 30-09-2016, 09:48   #23
Marine Service Provider

Come on guys: make fun of me on my thread , so I can get the traffic!
Old 30-09-2016, 11:15   #24

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Funny thing. I've taken a few friends with me on deliveries and paid all their expenses plus give them 1 or 2 thousand dollars but they never want to do another. Not that we had problems, I do all the cooking, cleaning etc look after them when sick. They are there mostly because insurance conpanies need at least 2 people. I believe that a lot, maybe most people think that going out in the ocean is somehow like living in a resort.
Anyone that does deliveries does it for different reasons than $$$. There is a reason why you get paid to get boats mostly upwind and in the wrong season.
Having said this I'm glad I'm too old. No more deliveries!!!
Life in the European canals is good!!
Old 30-09-2016, 11:19   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Funny thing. I've taken a few friends with me on deliveries and paid all their expenses plus give them 1 or 2 thousand dollars but they never want to do another. Not that we had problems, I do all the cooking, cleaning etc look after them when sick. They are there mostly because insurance conpanies need at least 2 people. I believe that a lot, maybe most people think that going out in the ocean is somehow like living in a resort.
Anyone that does deliveries does it for different reasons than $$$. There is a reason why you get paid to get boats mostly upwind and in the wrong season.
Having said this I'm glad I'm too old. No more deliveries!!!
Life in the European canals is good!!
Expense's yes.. but pay them 1 or 2 grand.. hell that's more than I got for my last trip..

Old 30-09-2016, 11:29   #26

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Expense's yes.. but pay them 1 or 2 grand.. hell that's more than I got for my last trip..
Sorry, I always did long passages. Mostly 20/30 days. So they got a bit messed up when they saw how big the oceans are.
Old 02-10-2016, 13:17   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Sorry, I always did long passages. Mostly 20/30 days. So they got a bit messed up when they saw how big the oceans are.
I prefer the long trips as well.. but when its quiet one licks the plate..

Old 02-10-2016, 14:04   #28

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
How about the Melbourne in Derbyshire in England? A bit further North and perhaps the source of the name stolen by the Aussies.

S/V B'Shert
And of course:-- Melbourne is a township municipality located in Le Val-Saint-François Regional County Municipality in the Estrie region of Quebec, Canada.
Melbourne is a small community located within Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada.
Probably find one anywhere Brits settled.
There's a Glasgow in Hong Kong; A Brisbane in Ontario, so forth and so on.
Old 02-10-2016, 14:45   #29

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
And of course:-- Melbourne is a township municipality located in Le Val-Saint-François Regional County Municipality in the Estrie region of Quebec, Canada.
Melbourne is a small community located within Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada.
Probably find one anywhere Brits settled.
There's a Glasgow in Hong Kong; A Brisbane in Ontario, so forth and so on.
Perhaps he named it~
Melbourne was a British statesman who was twice prime minister in the 1830s.

William Lamb was born on 15 March 1779 in London, into an aristocratic Whig family. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge University and in 1805 became Lord Melbourne. He entered parliament in 1806 as the Whig member of parliament for Leominster. Although a Whig, Melbourne was made secretary for Ireland from 1827-1828 in a Tory government, but was then home secretary in a Whig administration from 1830-1834. In 1829, his father's death meant he inherited his title and moved to the House of Lords. As home secretary he cracked down on rural and urban trade union movements, most notably with the suppression of the Tolpuddle Martyrs in 1834. He was a firm believer in aristocratic government and had little interest in reforms to help the middle or working class.
When the young Victoria ascended to the throne in 1837, she and Melbourne developed a close relationship, with the prime minister tutoring the new queen in government and politics. In return, the queen chose to ignore his past indiscretions and the scandal of his failed first marriage - his wife Lady Caroline Lamb had an infamous affair with Lord Byron. The queen's reliance on Melbourne resulted in a political crisis in 1839, when Melbourne resigned after a defeat in parliament. The queen invited the Conservative leader Sir Robert Peel to form a government, but he insisted that the queen's Whig ladies of the bedchamber be replaced with Tory ones, which was the usual practice. The queen refused, so Peel declined to form a government and Melbourne returned to office.
Old 02-10-2016, 16:58   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
Perhaps he named it~
Melbourne was a British statesman who was twice prime minister in the 1830s.

William Lamb was born on 15 March 1779 in London, into an aristocratic Whig family. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge University and in 1805 became Lord Melbourne. He entered parliament in 1806 as the Whig member of parliament for Leominster. Although a Whig, Melbourne was made secretary for Ireland from 1827-1828 in a Tory government, but was then home secretary in a Whig administration from 1830-1834. In 1829, his father's death meant he inherited his title and moved to the House of Lords. As home secretary he cracked down on rural and urban trade union movements, most notably with the suppression of the Tolpuddle Martyrs in 1834. He was a firm believer in aristocratic government and had little interest in reforms to help the middle or working class.
When the young Victoria ascended to the throne in 1837, she and Melbourne developed a close relationship, with the prime minister tutoring the new queen in government and politics. In return, the queen chose to ignore his past indiscretions and the scandal of his failed first marriage - his wife Lady Caroline Lamb had an infamous affair with Lord Byron. The queen's reliance on Melbourne resulted in a political crisis in 1839, when Melbourne resigned after a defeat in parliament. The queen invited the Conservative leader Sir Robert Peel to form a government, but he insisted that the queen's Whig ladies of the bedchamber be replaced with Tory ones, which was the usual practice. The queen refused, so Peel declined to form a government and Melbourne returned to office.
Funny enough this is around the time Melbourne, Australia was founded.. the one's in the Northern Hemisphere came later.. Florida late 1800's.. Canada much later..
The city of Melbourne, Australia was founded in 1835. The exact circumstances of the foundation of Melbourne, and the question of who should take credit, have long been matters of dispute

Tags
delivery, price, yacht