Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2017, 18:31   #1

Beaufort, NC to St. Augustine

We're first season boat owners that were traveling down the ICW from Annapolis to Florida and are currently stopped in Beaufort, NC. As we do not have blue water experience, we are looking for an experienced captain to show us the ropes for the short ocean passage to Saint Augustine, as we're looking to pop out of the ICW.

We are open to suggestions on going straight through or jumps and are flexible to leave any time after November 26. We are also considering continuing on the ICW to Charleston, and departing from there.
SingleHandedMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 18:44   #2

Boat: Columbia 57
Re: Beaufort, NC to St. Augustine

Sent you a pm
Dylan843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 02:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

PM sent
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 04:36   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

The jumps offshore from Beaufort to Charleston are easy and you avoid some problem areas with respect to shoaling, bridges, the Rockpile. Beaufort to Wrightsville Beach, ICW to Southport and then on to Georgetown or all the way to Charleston.
Old 22-11-2017, 09:00   #5

Thats just about a hop skip and a jump all the
Way down..nearly day sailing all the way and if
You are not in a hurry,,pick your weather,you will
Have a great time,,plenty of places to pull into
And anchor along the way...
If you are in a hurry to get away from the cold,
Yes,get crew that know the way...
ST.Augie gets cold in the winter too,bbbrrrrrrrrr
Safe sailing and enjoy.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 09:24   #6

I intuit that you're a sailboater, but could be mistaken. Sailing Beaufort to St Auggy (offshore) can be a delight, should be a delight, but can give you an experience never to be forgotten no matter how hard you may try. Choose your weather wisely (with little concern for the calendar) and it will likely be the former. That's the problem with hired crew: if you're paying some guy (girl) $2-300 daily, your incentive is to "get it done". That can lead to an unpleasant cruise.
If you're a 20+ power boat, it really is the "piece of cake" that a previous poster commented on. A two day run spending the night in Charleston.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 11:12   #7

We are in a 36' sailboat as the previous commenter mentioned.

I have 2 years experience racing on the Chesapeake bay, and my girlfriend has 1 season experience sailing with me on the bay, and we have about 8 months experience living aboard. We have zero offshore experience, however, which is why we'd like an experienced sailor to join us on the trip. I'm also a one-handed sailor, so we only have 3 good arms between us, so some extra help would be nice for the first offshore.

Very familiar with the 'just get it done' mentality, and we don't have it. We have been taking our time motoring on the ICW.

With no offshore experience, and with me mostly being crew for races, we wanted someone competent to assist us in what would likely be our first overnight, and hopefully more experienced in dealing with problems that could arise on our way!
SingleHandedMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 15:22   #8

another tip, if you decide to do a atraight shot: do not “cut the corner” [curve] off charleston/savannah/st augustine. you may very well find yourself in a 3-4 kn adverse gulf stream current. instead, pick a point 40 mi off charleston and use that as a guide to follow the curve of the s.e. coast.

having done this passage many times as a delivery captain, i usually do it straight shot unless forced in by sw sinds of an approaching front.

BUT - if you have never been through this section before - you should not pass by all these lovely towns. charleston and savannah especially are worth seeing. do the straight shot *on the way back*, in the favorable gulf stream and in less volatile may/june weather.
jim0123r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 15:37   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim0123r View Post
another tip, if you decide to do a atraight shot: do not “cut the corner” [curve] off charleston/savannah/st augustine. you may very well find yourself in a 3-4 kn adverse gulf stream current. instead, pick a point 40 mi off charleston and use that as a guide to follow the curve of the s.e. coast.

having done this passage many times as a delivery captain, i usually do it straight shot unless forced in by sw sinds of an approaching front.

BUT - if you have never been through this section before - you should not pass by all these lovely towns. charleston and savannah especially are worth seeing. do the straight shot *on the way back*, in the favorable gulf stream and in less volatile may/june weather.
I’m sure it’s my lack of knowledge of the area; can he not just follow the curve just offshore, or does the stream come that close? Are you suggesting leaving Charleston, go out 40 miles crossing the stream, head south and then cross again at Savannah or St. A.? Not critiquing; just want to understand for my trip down someday!

Thx,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 15:47   #10

Many of the inlets along your route inlets are challenging to sailboats. This can be due to depth or simply the time/distance to get in. Having done this, I would suggest Beaufort-Little River-Charleston-Port Royal. From there you can either choose to stop at Cumberland Island or go direct St Augustine.
This time of year, the weather is often good but can be very volatile.
Most of the good choices for legs are 1 overnight. Probably a good start for less experienced sailors. Long passages are more difficult than you might expect especially in volatile weather.
I have done both this route both ICW and Offshore. Very experienced sailor and Navigator. Feel free to contact me. Right now my availability is limited to 3 day weekends. So I could only do one leg at a time.
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 17:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I’m sure it’s my lack of knowledge of the area; can he not just follow the curve just offshore, or does the stream come that close? Are you suggesting leaving Charleston, go out 40 miles crossing the stream, head south and then cross again at Savannah or St. A.? Not critiquing; just want to understand for my trip down someday!

Thx,
no - the gulf stream is about 60 miles seaward of charleston. choosing a point 40 miles offshore ensures you stay inside of the current...which is the primary routing goal in an offshore trip south. coastal hopping, you would always be inside the stream. NOAA forecasts for florida and PassageWeather.com are good free sources for locating the stream’s most recent meanderings as well as the next few days’ projections.
jim0123r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 17:50   #12

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim0123r View Post
no - the gulf stream is about 60 miles seaward of charleston. choosing a point 40 miles offshore ensures you stay inside of the current...which is the primary routing goal in an offshore trip south. coastal hopping, you would always be inside the stream. NOAA forecasts for florida and PassageWeather.com are good free sources for locating the stream’s most recent meanderings as well as the next few days’ projections.
Ok, now I’m with you, which brings my next question- why go 40 miles offshore? Why not stay near shore? I’ve sailed transatlantic so I have no aversion to being offshore, just wondering why the need.

Thx!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 17:51   #13

Boat: Columbia 57
Beaufort, NC to St. Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Ok, now I’m with you, which brings my next question- why go 40 miles offshore? Why not stay near shore? I’ve sailed transatlantic so I have no aversion to being offshore, just wondering why the need.

Thx!

Yeah 40 seems a bit far unless you’re trying to hit a waypoint curve
Dylan843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:34   #14
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

What kind of boat do you have?
Today the wind would be at your stern as you headed south but maybe a bit rough. Such a trip is all a function of weather. This would be a good confidence builder for you. Pick Charleston for a first run. Leave early and get through frying pan shoals in daylight. Lots of water but the red and greens are unlighted.
If you go in at Charleston, be aware that the rock jetties go out quite a ways and are not all that easy to see.
Ran Beaufort to Stuart Florida last fall at this time and it was easy. Of course I had the wind on the stern all the way. Came back in April and the wind was still out of the north.
Be very careful at any inlet you choose.
A little confidence will be a big help to you in the future. You can do quite a lot more than you think.
As has been pointed out, a captain is going to force a schedule on you.
Watch the weather and it will be fun. You will be much better off offshore than in the ICW.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:50   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan843 View Post
Yeah 40 seems a bit far unless you’re trying to hit a waypoint curve
The stream curves in a bit between St. Augustine and Charleston, @ 50-60 miles, so staying a maximum of 40 miles offshore keeps you clear of it.

I don't think he's saying sail straight out 40 miles then head south...he's saying stay within 40 miles of the coast. A straight line between the cities will take you +/- 50 miles offshore.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaufort