Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 19:20   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Army Officer wants sailboat delivered from Seattle to Honolulu ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people interested in sea-miles on an oceanic crossing are doing so to gain experience and learning in the company of significantly more experienced fellow crew mates and skipper.
I've done it this way on my own boat, sailing home from Hawaii, where I'm the skipper and the crew is a mix of old friends (with experience) and relative greenhorns. The crew is not paid, although I do provide the food and transportation as required. I've seen other boats where the crew chips in for food.

One time I couldn't do the passage back to the mainland so a good friend was the skipper and we had an experienced (unpaid) crew. I paid for provisions and transportation. The friend / skipper wasn't expecting to be paid, but when the boat arrived home I gave him a gift that coincidentally happened to be quite close to what a professional delivery skipper would have received.

The very first time I did a mainland / Hawaii cruise I paid a licensed captain to come along (he was also a friend). I learned a lot and the insurance company was kept happy. Yes, insurance to cover an ocean crossing is definitely more expensive than coastal coverage. And insurance companies can be quite particular about the amount of required the skipper and crew must have.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 19:38   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Poseidon has five stars and he doesn't give a damn what the Army says.

Going trans-Pacific, you need to allow a good TWO WEEKS for a shakedown cruise of at least 48 hours, plus time to order parts and spares, plus time to ship them and install them, plus another two days to shake it back down again and make sure you've got everything.

So you should to plan on two weeks after taking possession of the boat, with active hands-on help, and express shipping of anything not locally available.

I was going to say "need" two weeks, but you don't NEED them, you can find out the hard way what happens when you try giving orders to the ocean. We've all heard enough posts here from folks who said they were doing the same thing, buying a boat and taking off. And sometimes we've heard about the rescues and boat losses as well.

A boat is not a railroad. Even Mussolini couldn't make the ocean run on time.

If you aren't on board and shaking the boat down by October 1st...good luck with that. Oh, and if you haven't considered this? You're going to need a good weather window for that trip too. Could be a nasty ride if you can't wait for weather.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 03:32   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Could be a nasty ride if you can't wait for weather.
Perhaps not for the OP... he'll be in Hawai where the wx tends to be nice.

And your two week get ready and shakedown might work if the boat is exceptionally good when purchased. If issues arise, the time required escalates a bit!

Jim
Old 13-09-2017, 04:26   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, heck Jim/Ann. I do try so hard to be an optimist. Why, I even put my boots on in the morning without shaking them out to see if any scorpions have nested in them overnight. I mean, how much more trusting and optimistic can a guy be?! (G)

Pilots might trust their ground crew, and get away with just doing a walkaround and preflight check. But...all those minions face the wrath of someone if the plane falls out of the sky. I don't think small craft "support personnel" ever quite have the same motivation. "If we sink and I die, I'm going to come back and haunt you!" yeah, it just doesn't motivate anyone these days. New boats or used, sad to say.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 19:51   #50

Send a message via Skype™ to stoicsailor
Author: Army Officer wants sailboat delivered from Seattle to Honolulu ASAP

Third message from the guy who posted the original add. GREAT responses, thank you. I am reading what you all said at least twice.
Some responses:
1. Yes, I have been following the Hawaii market for six months. Strikes me as overpriced and picked clean. I estimate that the type of boats I would want are about 40% more than their stateside equivalents. Rather put that difference, as I am NOT in a hurry, into a better yacht, and build connections.
2. I would have a full survey, both mechanical and hull and sea trial. I am already arranging having rejected two boats. Glad to spend money up front including professional to deliver.
3. Of course I am willing to pay. That was my original plan, but am trying to economize where I can. Cheap? No, thoughtful. Recall that overall delivered price needs to be less or equal to a local boat, following delivery. This allows much more choice.
4. Will wait for favorable weather. There is NO hurry but have been told planing must occur now.
5. Agree with shake down. That is why WA state to California, then Hawaii. That was built in, close to coast. I am not asking to learn to sail, was asking to have someone who has intimate knowledge of my craft give me insight on my boat before they return. I would pay for that and any make-ready, etc.
6. Glad to have some wind knocked out of my sails, but also a pilot and well used to forums. At 56 I have spent 1/2 my time running other businesses. Latest responses more useful.
7. Agree that there is not replacement for experience. My only regret is not having time for journey at this point, and not having started sailing earlier.
8. Quite honestly, I like the challenge of setting this up. One day, I hope to seek my Captains license and also ferry.
9. Again, thanks ever so much- Especially those who suggested one can only get feedback when they commit to an idea.
10. Final point: I have sailed offshore in Hawaii, where I sought further ASA certifications. I accepted orders there so I might up my game there! Get that Chesapeake is sheltered.

** Those who reached out with a potential offer, I will contact all of you. If anyone wants to know what I am looking at now, contact me privately if that is possible. Cape George needed too much work. Looking at a Fuji 35, CSY 37 and Cal 46 as well as some custom metal boats (Professionally built Bruce Roberts 37). This forum has been my companion for months Especially interested if anyone knows of a blue water on or about to hit the market "they" would sail, following inspections, including your own. God bless you all, sincerely!
stoicsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 20:10   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Regarding flying (or sailing) " the cheapest thing in aviation is the pilot". Should be a bargain somewhere in the Carribean or south Florida about now, some of them even float and are suited to the task. I have come across a number of Water boats">blue water boats in the island chain, many of them came by way of the Atlantic- you just have to take them through the canal to find the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 21:43   #52

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

One major suggestion: Watch out! There are going to be a bunch of boats (damaged in hurricanes, but not destroyed) that will be appearing on the market. Mostly obvious, but not always. Just pay attention and investigate. The reverse of the same problem will perhaps drive up the cost of decent vessels. Best of hunting and sailing.
Old 13-09-2017, 23:48   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Author: Army Officer wants sailboat delivered from Seattle to Honolulu ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicsailor View Post
5. Agree with shake down. That is why WA state to California, then Hawaii. That was built in, close to coast.
The WA to CA passage will very likely be the most difficult and dangerous part of the entire trip. Close to the coast doesn't help here, if anything it makes it worse. Yes, it can be fairly easy, but more often it's somewhere between challenging and brutal. WX knowledge is crucial for this passage.

I suggest a true shakedown *before* leaving the Strait of Juan de Fuca and turning south.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 23:51   #54

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes

Quote:
Third message from the guy who posted the original add. GREAT responses, thank you. I am reading what you all said at least twice.
Some responses:
1. Yes, I have been following the Hawaii market for six months. Strikes me as overpriced and picked clean. I estimate that the type of boats I would want are about 40% more than their stateside equivalents. Rather put that difference, as I am NOT in a hurry, into a better yacht, and build connections.
2. I would have a full survey, both mechanical and hull and sea trial. I am already arranging having rejected two boats. Glad to spend money up front including professional to deliver.
3. Of course I am willing to pay. That was my original plan, but am trying to economize where I can. Cheap? No, thoughtful. Recall that overall delivered price needs to be less or equal to a local boat, following delivery. This allows much more choice.
4. Will wait for favorable weather. There is NO hurry but have been told planing must occur now.
5. Agree with shake down. That is why WA state to California, then Hawaii. That was built in, close to coast. I am not asking to learn to sail, was asking to have someone who has intimate knowledge of my craft give me insight on my boat before they return. I would pay for that and any make-ready, etc.
6. Glad to have some wind knocked out of my sails, but also a pilot and well used to forums. At 56 I have spent 1/2 my time running other businesses. Latest responses more useful.
7. Agree that there is not replacement for experience. My only regret is not having time for journey at this point, and not having started sailing earlier.
8. Quite honestly, I like the challenge of setting this up. One day, I hope to seek my Captains license and also ferry.
9. Again, thanks ever so much- Especially those who suggested one can only get feedback when they commit to an idea.
10. Final point: I have sailed offshore in Hawaii, where I sought further ASA certifications. I accepted orders there so I might up my game there! Get that Chesapeake is sheltered.

** Those who reached out with a potential offer, I will contact all of you. If anyone wants to know what I am looking at now, contact me privately if that is possible. Cape George needed too much work. Looking at a Fuji 35, CSY 37 and Cal 46 as well as some custom metal boats (Professionally built Bruce Roberts 37). This forum has been my companion for months Especially interested if anyone knows of a blue water on or about to hit the market "they" would sail, following inspections, including your own. God bless you all, sincerely!

Now that's better

Best of luck to you.

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 06:55   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Looking at a Fuji 35, CSY 37 and Cal 46 as well as some custom metal boats (Professionally built Bruce Roberts 37). This forum has been my companion for months Especially interested if anyone knows of a blue water on or about to hit the market "they" would sail, following inspections, including your own. God bless you all, sincerely!
Some comments on your boat list.

CS& 37. Beamy and roomy compared to most 37' boats. One of the few boats with hull and deck built ALL glass, no core in deck or hull, wood stringers. Very solid but somewhat heavy so not a rocket on the water. Can happen but rare to have structural problems. Only areas that could happen would be in the wood bulkheads, floors, etc.

Cal 46. Old but a classic. Three versions, 46, 2-46 and 3-46. All same hull, mainly modifications in the layout and ketch offered in later models. Good performer, moderate displacement, well built. Concerns, the deck is cored with plywood which can be a huge problem if there were unaddressed leaks through any deck fittings.

Fuji. Don't know much about this one.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 07:59   #56

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Third message from the guy who posted the original add.

SNIP
And still no mention of insurance details.

Do you have any idea who will insure the boat you buy?

More to the point do you have any idea what any insurance company will require in terms of the number of warm bodies that must be on the boat for any passage longer than 24 hours? Not to mention what scraps of paper the insurance companies will require at least one of those warm bodies to have?

Not sure about the marinas where you are heading but it is not uncommon for marinas in popular areas to require $US250,000 liability insurance at a minimum; sometimes even more.

As someone who has sailed since my Dad moved to South Florida in 1954 I have seen huge changes in sailboats. While I may not agree with it I have to say the biggest change is how insurance has become a requirement for a lot of sailboats.

While I don't like paying my insurance bills

I still do it because of the limits not having insurance places on where I can take my boat.

You may be in for a shock unless you call insurance companies now and ask some pointed questions.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:19   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
And still no mention of insurance details.

Do you have any idea who will insure the boat you buy?

More to the point do you have any idea what any insurance company will require in terms of the number of warm bodies that must be on the boat for any passage longer than 24 hours? Not to mention what scraps of paper the insurance companies will require at least one of those warm bodies to have?

Not sure about the marinas where you are heading but it is not uncommon for marinas in popular areas to require $US250,000 liability insurance at a minimum; sometimes even more.

As someone who has sailed since my Dad moved to South Florida in 1954 I have seen huge changes in sailboats. While I may not agree with it I have to say the biggest change is how insurance has become a requirement for a lot of sailboats.

While I don't like paying my insurance bills

I still do it because of the limits not having insurance places on where I can take my boat.

You may be in for a shock unless you call insurance companies now and ask some pointed questions.
One word says 90%: Florida
Old 14-09-2017, 11:00   #58

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
One word says 90%: Florida
Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Every insurance company I have contacted requires minimum crew for passages longer than some specified period like 24 hours and it does not matter where in the world that passage is.

Passages like crossing the Atlantic or Pacific (I know Hawaii is not all the way across) also usually require other things.

It is common to get a policy for coastal cruising and then get a rider for a specific period to go to the Bahamas, Mexico, or the Rio.

I would advise the OP to get a coastal policy for the Pacific Northwest when he buys the boat along with liability for the marina the boat is in. After the shake down cruise get a rider for the trip to Hawaii and once in Hawaii get a policy limited to Hawaii (assuming he does not intend to cruise longer distances) that also covers the liability for the marina he will be keeping the boat in.

And as for Florida specific stuff I suspect after Irma there will be even more insurance requirements for boats there. Sad to say.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 15:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not sure what point you are trying to make.

And as for Florida specific stuff I suspect after Irma there will be even more insurance requirements for boats there. Sad to say.
My point was, and is, that the world does not revolve around Florida. And this is not intended to be a reflection of the recent horrendous events in the area.

Very few governments (Australia, New Zealand?), probably including Florida, "require" insurance for boats. Sure marina's may, and lessors and banks almost always do require various types of insurance, but I am unaware of any requirements for a boat in transit (exceptions probably exist in commercial activities) except to the extent the owner may want to protect his financial interests according to his or her own feelings.

It is not just your post, but the entire theme of the responses (but not all) seems to be, "do not do it, it is risky, and only something for the very, very experienced." Most of us are able to evaluate risk, and seek to accomplish things we enjoy that involve a degree of risk, not to wear a tin hat because there is a small risk from them that space aliens in UFO's. Otherwise we would not sail or travel by automobile at all.
I urge the OP to continue his quest, and wish him or her (for some reason I think he is a he, but that could be incorrect) the best!
Old 14-09-2017, 15:57   #60

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

We keep our Pearson 424 in Honolulu. Monthly slip fees run around $600 with liveaboard fees also around $600. Electric runs about $50 monthly (liveaboard). Slips are available in public marinas. There are many boats for sail in the islands at all price levels. You may want to check the local inventory and buy here. Great sailing here!!
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, boat, sail, sailboat, seattle