Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2019, 11:44   #1

Antigua to Bermuda race

We were scheduled to sail in the Antigua to Bermuda race but the boat decided not to enter the race AFTER we booked a one-way ticket to Antigua and a one-way ticket from Bermuda back to the States. We (DM & EF) are still planning to go to Antigua. Even though we started to make alternate plans I didn't want to rule out the possibility of still making it to Bermuda on a different boat.

The bad news here is that we probably aren't really great crew and when I say 'we' I mean me.... I mean, we're nice, respectful, non-smokers, and all that but I'm the DM of DM & EF and I have only day-sailing experience. My skills include things like pulling ropes I'm told to pull, turning winches I'm told to turn, and I've stayed on course in tame waters. I'm also pretty good at staying out of the way, holding on tightly, and not falling overboard - arguably great skills to have.

The EF of DM & EF grew up sailing and has sailed quite a bit, including a Newport to Bermuda trip on a 37' monohull with 4 other crew, but EF has not sailed competitively. Regardless if you see us as crew or passengers, we aren't looking for a free ride.

If you're still reading ... I'd say a good match for us is a boat that wouldn't have super high expectations. Like, maybe a boat that is 'racing' for fun, like the majority of runners in a marathon have no intention of winning but who are enjoying the physical & social experience; or maybe you don't need crew but have space for a couple passengers; Are you making that kind of passage, do you need a couple extra helpers, and do you think we're a good fit?

Thanks for considering,
-DMEF
DMEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, Bermuda, race