Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2014, 18:12   #1

Antarctic Climbing Guide Sailor. Mid-Feb, NZ

Antarctic Climbing Guide Turned Sailor

Summary: available starting mid-Feb from NZ for 5-6 weeks; will fly elsewhere as needed.

I have experience bareboat chartering sloops in the 29’-36’ range with one or two others. I’ve sailed on several week-long coastal cruises in different oceans and am keen to crew on monohulls with experienced sailors on coastal, offshore, or high latitude voyaging. I am highly motivated to actually sail and am quite disinterested in motoring between marinas or sitting on deck getting a tan. I come with a strong recommendation from the RYA instructor on my Day Skipper Course in Feb. 2013.

I have spent my professional life managing risk and working with a variety of people in hazardous terrain, operating in severe weather, navigating with map/compass, and on extended self-sufficient expeditions. I am quite familiar with limited resources and rescue not being a realistic option. I am a certified and field-experienced Wilderness First Responder.

Five months per year I work as a survival trainer and guide for scientists and serve on the Search and Rescue Team for the US Antarctic Program. Skills include VHF/HF radio use, GPS, pulley systems, marine radar. I also work as a rock climbing and technical mountaineering guide (Exumguides.com Susan Det). I am keenly aware of the importance of having the right people along in terms of fun and safety.

I am looking for new challenges and to explore the other 70% of the Earth’s surface. My ultimate goal is to crew along the Antarctic Peninsula.

My degree is in Biology/Enviro Studies and I am a keen naturalist. My Spanish is between “can get around” and “conversational” and I am in the process of learning celestial navigation. An athlete in my late forties, I enjoy swimming, snorkeling, sea kayaking.

Non-smoking, no drugs; do not want to be around those who do. I drink in moderation. I am in a committed relationship and distinctly not interested in anything more than friendship.

I will be available to crew starting mid February when I am done with my current Antarctic contract. Although I am most drawn to high latitude offshore sailing, I need more mileage coastal sailing/piloting. I enjoy coastal and lower latitude sailing and believe in developing skills in a logical order.

Honestly, I am more interested in finding the right skipper/crew than in exactly where we go, and for that I am willing to consider flying wherever reasonably necessary. I am seeking a skipper who truly enjoys and knows how to coach others, not someone who prefers to show off their skills and knowledge. I am looking for a skipper/crew that appreciates the finer points of sailing well; someone with a similar sense of risk management… and a light-hearted approach.

I am playful, motivated, and have a positive, upbeat attitude; send me a message and tell me about yourself, your plans, your boat. Fair Winds!

Tags
arc, sail