Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 12:41   #1

Advice and help in sailing the Atlantic

Hi all. Would like some advice. I have a 34 ft sailboat irwin.it's in New York. And would like to meet a few good people to sail it from New York to Bulgaria with me. I have over 8000 miles under my belt and am an engineer by trade. It has always been a dream to sail the Atlantic and then the Med. If any one is interested in helping to sail and plan the trip please get in contact. I'm also happy to join in a group sailing fleet to cross the ocean.
I'm not after snotty replys from know it all's . Only decent honest people that want to genuinely offer sound advice or help. ie costs involved approx.ect ect. Dates and what extra on board equipment would be benificial and help making the trip more pleasent as well as safety equipment. ect. I want it to be a fun trip for all those involved with there upmost safety being my main concearn aswell as a comfortable enjoyable long distance passage. And hope to gain life long friendships with all involved and the hope that after the trip you come and use the boat as often as you like . It's main port of residence will be probably some where within the Black sea. Varna.All the best Tony.
Aqua-taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice and help in sailing the Atlantic

What would be helpful is a list of the equipment currently on the boat.. nav, safety etc.

You've two routes to choose from.. direct NY to UK then S through the Biscay and along N Spain, Portugal to Gibraltar..
Or down to NC, Bermuda, Azores, Portugal, Gib.. for your boat this is the better route IMHO.. the time is now.
PS: NOT touting for a job.. lolol.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:05   #3

Re: Advice and help in sailing the Atlantic

I concur with boatman61, more info is required. As for lifelong friendships, well boatman61 and I would be shorter than younger possible crew members! I have on the books from Halifax to London probably later this month, according to my client, and it would be via Azores. He's flying into the UK tomorrow to discuss this. Bermuda is getting late for this time of the year, as the first TS waves have started to cross from Africa. If you are going, go NOW!
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 20:47   #4

Hi Tony, I live in Long Island and I am a licensed Skipper of international waters 40GT. I have my own boat but have planned going to Europe on my own only a year or two from now. I am Bulgarian and I would love to meet you and discuss the possibilities of joining your crew or getting to know each other and keeping in contact as I plan to do the same trip soon. Looking forward to hear from you.
TirstyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:44   #5

Thanks for the reply will get in contact soon. Thanks Tony
Old 27-07-2017, 02:24   #6

Hi that would be good. Do you know anywhere I could put the boat that reasonable in costs. It's at a boat yard along the conneticut river at present time.
Old 27-07-2017, 14:13   #7

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-taz View Post
Hi all. Would like some advice. I have a 34 ft sailboat irwin.it's in New York. And would like to meet a few good people to sail it from New York to Bulgaria with me. I have over 8000 miles under my belt and am an engineer by trade. It has always been a dream to sail the Atlantic and then the Med. If any one is interested in helping to sail and plan the trip please get in contact. I'm also happy to join in a group sailing fleet to cross the ocean.
I'm not after snotty replys from know it all's . Only decent honest people that want to genuinely offer sound advice or help. ie costs involved approx.ect ect. Dates and what extra on board equipment would be benificial and help making the trip more pleasent as well as safety equipment. ect. I want it to be a fun trip for all those involved with there upmost safety being my main concearn aswell as a comfortable enjoyable long distance passage. And hope to gain life long friendships with all involved and the hope that after the trip you come and use the boat as often as you like . It's main port of residence will be probably some where within the Black sea. Varna.All the best Tony.
Here's some solid advice for you, find a bigger, more rugged boat. Irwins are fine for inshore or near shore sailing, offshore, they're far too wimpy and if you run into a blow, you'll be wishing you had a better boat under you. If you insist on sailing in the Irwin, take the southern route from the Caribbean to the Canaries then north. Stay away form the northern route, too dangerous for a lightly built boat like the Irwin 34.
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing