Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 16:31   #16

Boat: Etap 37 S
Re: Adelaide north up East Coast to Sydney

Or it could have been that he posted during the Australia day long weekend when most sailors with too much free time were at the Geelong festival of Sail?

I think a lot of crew probably got their experience racing and delivering racing boats... so in early Jan have also just burnt all their free time for a few months. Id love to do the trip, particularly on a Farr as im looking at buying a phase 4, but it would probably come with a free divorce and unemployment benefits at the moment...
Old 12-03-2014, 15:06   #17

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOI View Post
Or it could have been that he posted during the Australia day long weekend when most sailors with too much free time were at the Geelong festival of Sail?

I think a lot of crew probably got their experience racing and delivering racing boats... so in early Jan have also just burnt all their free time for a few months. Id love to do the trip, particularly on a Farr as im looking at buying a phase 4, but it would probably come with a free divorce and unemployment benefits at the moment...
ha ha , I have the time but not the offshore experience , isn't it all ways the case
Old 20-03-2014, 23:42   #18

Boat: Farr 38

Thanks for your suggestion so here goes some more information about me.
I have been sailing for 40 years since I was a teenager mainly in the Gulf waters around Adelaide and the Whitsundays. I have been a member of the Royal SA Yacht Squadron for over 10 years and was an active participant in club races such as the annual Adelaide to Port Lincoln blue water classic. I have owned a succession of yachts over the last 20 years starting with a Cole 23 trailer-sailer moored at Goolwa (near the Murray mouth) and then a Farr-Binks 30ft. larger trailerable and finally my current Farr 38. I spent the last 12 months completely refurbishing the vessel for this journey and have added additional safety, navigation and live-aboard comforts.

My plans at this stage are to leave Adelaide in April and sail initially via Kangaroo Island to Portland then around to Sydney.

I am particularly interested in crew members who have water sailing">blue water sailing experience to join us.

Cheers

Peter Mc
Old 23-03-2014, 04:52   #19

I am currently faced with a dilemma. The SA government began renovating the Birkenhead bridge in the Port Adelaide area last summer without consultation or warning. My boat is currently moored in the inner harbour at New Port quays upstream. Surprise surprise the project to complete the bridge repairs is slipping into April. So at this stage it appears there is no alternative but to wait until the bridge can be reopened despite my protests to the project's managers. Groan!
Old 23-03-2014, 15:10   #20

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McNamara View Post
I am currently faced with a dilemma. The SA government began renovating the Birkenhead bridge in the Port Adelaide area last summer without consultation or warning. My boat is currently moored in the inner harbour at New Port quays upstream. Surprise surprise the project to complete the bridge repairs is slipping into April. So at this stage it appears there is no alternative but to wait until the bridge can be reopened despite my protests to the project's managers. Groan!
Peter, after the problems they had with the expressway bridge last year, I have been too scared to go even that far for fear of losing my sailing liberty. I admire your courage going past the Birkenhead!

I cross the Birkenhead daily, if I see anyone slacking I will pull out the whip.

Matt
Old 28-03-2014, 17:59   #21

Well the good news is I have completed all my refurbishment tasks on the boat and the SA Government have assured me the Birkenhead bridge will open in mid April. So far I have not been successful in finding experienced crew who are available and willing to join me for the first leg to Sydney from Adelaide. If weather permits I expect a start date in latish April.

Cheers Peter Mc
Old 07-04-2014, 03:50   #22

Hi Guys

Well this will be my last post on this thread in an attempt to attract experienced crew members to join us. This Easter will be the culmination of 12 months of careful planning and preparation. "Farr Out" is ready set out. A senior crew member with the time and expertise to join us will make that happen. Special heartfelt thanks to everyone on this forum who has contributed their time and valuable advice here.

Fresh winds and fair sailing.

Peter Mc
Old 07-04-2014, 21:45   #23

Hi Peter,

Well, I WISH I could crew for you... but I'm stuck here in Adelaide for another year yet. Er... a bit like you actually.... went over the Birkenhead bridge yesterday at 4pm, and there was NOBODY working on it. So I got out of the ute and tightened a few bolts...

Anyway, when they do let you go, have a great trip, and if it is of any interest, on your journey I would make sure I stopped at Apollo Bay, that I spent lots of time on the East coast of Wilsons Prom, and (I'll cop flack for this one...) I'd drop into Bermagui if conditions permit because... well... I just really love that little town.

Sure, there are lots of other lovely places along the way, but they are my favourites and I could not imagine sailing past any of them, no matter how favourable the conditions to carry on.

Matt
Old 07-04-2014, 23:57   #24

Hi Pete, I would like to crew for you on your trip to Sydney. I'm a long time sailor and boat builder by trade please call me if you still need crew. James ph:0409654645. Thanks and look forward hearing from you.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:05   #25

Hi Matt

Yep I wish you could make it too. especially since you know how to tighten nuts. Er not that it will be necessary of course.

Many thanks for all your support mate.

Cheers

Peter Mc
Old 10-04-2014, 05:17   #26

Boat: Bristol Chanel Cutter 28'

Hi Pete, hope you have got the crew you need and are ready to cast off. Pretty rainy here on the southcoast of NSW but good weather windows between southerlys so you should have a lot of fun. I'm heading up to Ulludulla during Easter but guess you won't have got that far so early in your voyage. Let me know if you need any help re the southcoast ports. Save travel and good luck.

Cocosshane
Old 12-04-2014, 14:47   #27

This week I have given serious consideration to the initial task on this trip heading South East along the Coorong to Bass Straight. My colleagues who have attempted this passage at this time of year have counselled waiting till more favourable winds likely to occur at the onset of spring. If you have read this post you will know that delay till this late in the season was not my choice but rather enforced by circumstances. So reluctantly I have chosen to avoid what may have been a rather cold and uncomfortable effort beating (potentially for days) to windward and wait for the seasonal change.
Old 12-04-2014, 15:13   #28

Boat: Crowther, buccaneer, 33'

Well done for taking such a courageous and wise decision. You appear to have invested considerable time in preparing your boat for a great trip. From experience I know what it means to set off into weeks of adverse weather. It can set the mood for the whole trip and can be hard to get over.

Others will say it makes the good bits seem so much better. In my experience this is not true.

Also the liklihood of breaking something is increased and this can be really disheartening, especially since you have taken so much care to make things perfect.

I hope the six months waiting go well for you and that when spring comes you have the time of your life. Apart from being a bit older, little else will have changed.

Well done, good decision, and all the best for the coming months.

Rory
Old 12-04-2014, 15:41   #29

Hi Peter,

I am sorry to hear you have delayed the journey, but I applaud your logic. Enjoy the winter sailing on the Gulf St V instead, see you out there once you have been released from your Birkenhead confinement.

Matt
Old 14-04-2014, 07:17   #30

Re: Adelaide North Up East Coast to Sydney

Hey Matt

I am booked in for a week over Easter at the Squadron D10 birth any chance we could catch up?

Cheers

Peter Mc

Tags
east coast, sydney