Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2019, 03:24   #16
Registered User
 
Sojourner's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: On the boat!
Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Posts: 396
Re: A New Twist I Think

Wow. This is beautiful, and I so hope you find a perfect couple to do this with... There is less and less respect for age in our world, but in the sailing community I think that is the opposite, and the amazing gift you could give the right young people is something difficult to even grasp. And the gift they can give to you. Lifechanging for both of you, I'm tearing up at the thought..... You should share this also on maybe some Facebook groups.... I think more people on this site have boats already, but there I know plenty of amazing younger people who are dying to take to the sea, but have no (and never will have) the resources to do it alone. You would change their lives. I am so happy I read this post, it gives me a lot to think about for when my own time comes....
__________________

__________________
3 cats, 3 queers, endless wake, endless love!
https://www.facebook.com/anendlesswake/
https://anendlesswake.com/
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 03:51   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 534
Re: A New Twist I Think

Good on you, great idea.
Maybe you could consider some sort of “paying it forward” arrangement in the contract, so the folks who end up with your boat don’t just turn around and sell it.
Would probably help filter out the users as well...
__________________

olaf hart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 10:17   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Re: A New Twist I Think

Bill, we received your pm but was not able to respond on that page? We are vey interested to talk more and learn about each other. We will be heading up your way around the first of May on our way to Alaska. This would be at great opportunity for us to get to know each other and to see Scorpius!
marciaanddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 15:12   #19
Registered User
 
Scorpius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Madeira Park, BC
Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Posts: 115
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great idea,but in reality 5 years is a long time to share your home with people who effectively have a stake in your well being,property and expectations.
perhaps this would suit a more elderly couple than a younger couple.

perhaps also read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Sea_Will_Tell



Well, I've gotten a number of interested, positive replies - so it seems to be working. And the idea was to get some young blood on the boat. Another elderly couple might not be able to help when the anchor gets stuck or someone has to go to the top of the mast in a seaway.


I'm not unhappy the way it is working out.
-Take care
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 02:30   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 289
Re: A New Twist I Think

It was a very basic question.. which I think is important.. details are everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Sorry, I'm not interested in a single guy nor someone who is more interested in the value of the boat than the adventure.
windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 03:55   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 10,213
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great idea,but in reality 5 years is a long time to share your home with people who effectively have a stake in your well being,property and expectations.
perhaps this would suit a more elderly couple than a younger couple.

perhaps also read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Sea_Will_Tell
....or incentive for your demise.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 04:15   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 23,277
Images: 2
pirate Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
....or incentive for your demise.
Complications could arise if it happens at sea.. claiming the boat if there's no written agreement beforehand.. proving it was not induced to accelerate inheritance.. fighting off family claims.
Could be a lot of thorns with the rose..
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 04:39   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 10,213
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Complications could arise if it happens at sea.. claiming the boat if there's no written agreement beforehand.. proving it was not induced to accelerate inheritance.. fighting off family claims.
Could be a lot of thorns with the rose..
Yes, could get messy. Wills often include a foul play clause, but proving/disproving such could be a challenge...esp if happened at sea.

Could defeat the primary purpose of turning the boat over to a responsible new owner if the whole mess got caught up in legal issues...while the boat sat and rotted.

Something to consider.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 09:28   #24
Registered User
 
Scorpius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Madeira Park, BC
Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Posts: 115
Re: A New Twist I Think

Don't you just love the naysayers of this world. And I probably shouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning as I might be hit by a bus crossing the street.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 09:38   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 10,213
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Don't you just love the naysayers of this world. And I probably shouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning as I might be hit by a bus crossing the street.
Just to clarify, in case that was regarding my comment, I think what you propose is an admirable idea. Only discussing a potential complication above.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 09:44   #26
Registered User
 
Scorpius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Madeira Park, BC
Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Posts: 115
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, could get messy. Wills often include a foul play clause, but proving/disproving such could be a challenge...esp if happened at sea.

Could defeat the primary purpose of turning the boat over to a responsible new owner if the whole mess got caught up in legal issues...while the boat sat and rotted.

Something to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion

1. There WILL be a written agreement. And I can visualize a clause that says that during the term of the agreement, unless my body is available for an autopsy after death and it is established by legal authority that no foul play was involved (or some such thing), the deal is off, and
2. I've already cleared the plan with all of my family and they are good with it. They all have their own (very successful) lives to lead and none of them plan to sail offshore. Scorpius would be a burden should I leave her to any of them and they don't need either the money from her sale or the hassle of selling her. They're busy.



Sorry, but there are just too many boats disintegrating from neglect because their owners can no longer care for them. This is my attempt to avoid that situation with Scorpius and establish a continuum of care. I prefer to be a glass-half-full kind of guy - and I've already received several positive and very wonderful replies.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 09:55   #27
Registered User
 
Scorpius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Madeira Park, BC
Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Posts: 115
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Good on you, great idea.
Maybe you could consider some sort of “paying it forward” arrangement in the contract, so the folks who end up with your boat don’t just turn around and sell it.
Would probably help filter out the users as well...

It's a thought to consider.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 10:02   #28
Registered User
 
Scorpius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Madeira Park, BC
Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Posts: 115
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Wow. This is beautiful, and I so hope you find a perfect couple to do this with... There is less and less respect for age in our world, but in the sailing community I think that is the opposite, and the amazing gift you could give the right young people is something difficult to even grasp. And the gift they can give to you. Lifechanging for both of you, I'm tearing up at the thought..... You should share this also on maybe some Facebook groups.... I think more people on this site have boats already, but there I know plenty of amazing younger people who are dying to take to the sea, but have no (and never will have) the resources to do it alone. You would change their lives. I am so happy I read this post, it gives me a lot to think about for when my own time comes....

I'm not a facebook person. I'm already spending too much time online (and it's not a lot). Also, I really only need to find ONE appropriate couple and I've received some wonderful replies here.


But thanks for the suggestion and perhaps I will consider it if none of the possibilities here pan out. Take care.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 10:54   #29
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 23,277
Images: 2
pirate Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Don't you just love the naysayers of this world. And I probably shouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning as I might be hit by a bus crossing the street.
Far from a naysayer.. but view me as you choose..
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 11:27   #30
Registered User
 
Scorpius's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Madeira Park, BC
Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Posts: 115
Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Far from a naysayer.. but view me as you choose..



Yes, your earlier post(s) were much more positive. Be well.
__________________

Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New (to me) twist on the Schengen dance.. sv Grateful Europe 2 26-10-2018 07:41
Think your boat is well anchored? Think again!!! yahtzee Anchoring & Mooring 4 02-08-2018 09:06
A New Twist in the BMW/Oracle vs Alinghi Showdown TaoJones Multihull Sailboats 13 01-02-2010 08:39
Survey with a twist GrayGoose General Sailing Forum 1 21-03-2005 11:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.