Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 21:12   #1

Boat: Tanzer,1976,26'
26 tanzer, crew must furnish outboard as mine in currently out of commission

No experiance needed. I recently purchased a 1976 26 foot tanzer. The boat is docked in Aransas Pass Texas. Use your outboard and we can go wherever you like for as long as you like. I'm currently refitting the boat, current project is painting it, and adding a windlass, electrical, ect. If interested send me a message. I will want to see a title to the outboard. I work alot, but am self employed so my schedule is very flexible. For the right person a partnership may be possible.
Old 17-10-2016, 21:19   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: 26 tanzer, crew must furnish outboard as mine in currently out of commission

Wow....Tom Sawyer has nothing on you....
Old 18-10-2016, 10:17   #3

Re: 26 tanzer, crew must furnish outboard as mine in currently out of commission

Update: I will be investing in the outboard, I'm looking for someone to split cost with. This journey is being planed now and will be a trip down the ICW, from Texas to Florida, adjustments to course can be made but will have to be done in advance with sufficient time to do the research needed to ensure a safe trip. Ideal candidate will have some level of technical or useful skills, also: references will be needed. A priest, former employer, or the like will be a sufficient reference.
Old 18-10-2016, 15:51   #4

Note:motor will cost around 500 to 1000 USA dollars. If split two or three ways the cost drops substantially. Input is welcome so post replys.
Old 18-10-2016, 17:09   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Have you sailed or motored this boat at all?

I'm asking as someone who has done the icw from port A to Florida. You won't be sailing much if at all, there are several rivers you'll need to go upstream in, and fuel stops are quite spaced out at times.

Given the option I'd concentrate on getting the sailing rig up to snuff and coastal hopping there.

Not saying it can't be done, but an icw trip on a 26' boat with an outboard won't be all roses.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-10-2016, 19:15   #6

Yeah you said it. Costal hopping will be the only solution. Why I didn't explain this earlier was simply to give the impression that we won't be going to far out off the coast.
Old 21-10-2016, 18:46   #7

Re: 26' tanzer, looking for small group to plan a voyage around.

Update: I have acquired a replacement 4hp Suzuki out board. At this point I'm looking for someone interested in organizing and planning a trip on the 26' tanzer. I think it would be important to at this point encourage discussion on the topic of long term travel on smaller vessels. I myself have not organized a trip such as this before and thus am looking for qualified individuals to assist with planning and management of such a trip. Input welcome.
Old 21-10-2016, 20:12   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but as a cruiser, you should write all your plans in the sand at low tide...

When we first started sailing and then cruising for long periods, we made fairly detailed plans. We soon discovered that nothing much ever followed those plans. Rather, the cruise morphed into other forms as situations developed, and all the details became meaningless.

My view of planning is to be sure that the boat is ready to encounter the most severe conditions that you are likely to encounter. There is no real need to prepare for cyclone force winds out of cyclone season, for instance. Then, make a general plan that keeps you from being in cyclone country during the season... or in ice/snow country in the winter. You will likely plan where your first few stops will be after leaving your home base, but beyond that, wait a while... new ideas will pop up as you travel down the weeks. You will meet folks who invite you to visit, or who will suggest a unknown to you anchorage that is worth a visit. And you will have things go wrong with your boat or your body that enforce stays or detours that never were considered. The plan changeth!

For instance, when we left San Francisco in 1986, we were thinking (like so many new cruisers) of a circumnavigation. thirty years later, we've not been further west than the west coast of TAsmania. Why? Well, we decided that the South Pacific was what we really liked, so we stayed on, and on, and on, circulating between Oz, NZ and the various and varied island cultures and locations. Repeated and lengthy visits to some remote place mean that you become more than a tourist, and can learn and experience things that the short stay visitor just can not. But, I'm rambling...

My point is, don't get too hung up on a great plan, with advice from gurus of various styles and strangers on the internet. Beyond the technical advice yu need for boat prep, only you can determine how a long cruise will proceed, and that determination will for sure change along the way.

Oh... don't expect volunteer crew to bring outboards along... kinda unrealistic, ya know! And I would never rely upon a reference from, what were they... lawyer, priest, or whatever. You yourself are the only one to judge the potential crew's usefulness and compatibility, for those folks ain't got a clue about going to sea!

Enough for now... perhaps too much, so good luck.

Jim
Old 21-10-2016, 22:30   #9

Yeah, last post has it figured out. I bought a out board tonight, as of now, writing this I am sitting in a Volkswagen bettle with the Suzuki 4 HP in the back srat. Its 12:07 am. My buddy Wesley is driving and I'm here typing away on my cellphone, nothing about buying a boat has been to plan, the outboard is a late Friday night road trip. Im learning to barter for everything, and at this point I've sold all I have. Except my boots, either way I've got a motor. Might not be much but if I keep this up much longer I'll never have to work again. I bought the motor for 180 only to get to his house and act as though I wasn't that interested in it. He then said he wanted 160 for. That's 20 dollars saved for tacos. Nothing is going to plan, but messing around with the boat is fun, enjoyable, and rewarding. At this point I just need to find some people that know how to sail, if not I'll teach myself. If I can't find crew then I'll do this on my own, but with the way things are going I'll keep meeting great people and keep having fun. Any advice on how to navigate? I know little about sailing. Gps, charts, email, compass, idk. How to I find my way on these forums, live and learn. If your reading this article then cheers and no worries, if I don't sink I'll swim, and sail my way to becoming a sailer/ bigist next step is naming the boat, anyone opposed to "Theroria Logos".
Old 22-10-2016, 03:59   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
No experiance needed. I recently purchased a 1976 26 foot tanzer. The boat is docked in Aransas Pass Texas. Use your outboard and we can go wherever you like for as long as you like. I'm currently refitting the boat, current project is painting it, and adding a windlass, electrical, ect. If interested send me a message. I will want to see a title to the outboard. I work alot, but am self employed so my schedule is very flexible. For the right person a partnership may be possible.
Welcome aboard.
Not sure you need a windlass for a 26' boat: Unless you are disabled or plan to anchor in really deep waters, I would skip the windlass and haul in anchor and chain by hand. Easy.

I sailed a 44' boat for 3 years without a windlass and I am no athlete.
Old 22-10-2016, 05:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 26 tanzer, crew must furnish outboard as mine in currently out of commission

As your coast hopping I'd plan out secondary ports lying between your 'hops'.. its good to have preplanned knowledge of escape ports if the SHTF..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 22-10-2016, 06:36   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I spent the first two years weekending on my IP38 with no windlass and I think I am way older than you and my anchor is twice as heavy as what you need. A windlass on your boat would be like a TV, nice maybe, but a luxury.
Old 24-10-2016, 14:04   #13

Yeah I have a bad back, if it goes out I'm done. I'll have no choice but to be very careful when pulling up anchor. I'm still looking for crew for a trip. I have a Suzuki 4hp long shaft outboard. Runs great. Starts up first pull. Anyone have any advice on windings?
Old 24-10-2016, 16:42   #14

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
Yeah I have a bad back, if it goes out I'm done. I'll have no choice but to be very careful when pulling up anchor. I'm still looking for crew for a trip. I have a Suzuki 4hp long shaft outboard. Runs great. Starts up first pull. Anyone have any advice on windings?

Windings????

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-10-2016, 16:46   #15

Windmills* for sailboats.

Tags
crew, current, outboard