Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2011, 13:36   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Worse and 'Worser'. . .

Tell me more about pizza in every port. That might get me off my whazoolamonkey and go sailing!

Old 17-07-2011, 13:53   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

got pizza here, me friend....in 2 places or more.... was decent pizza in ensenada, just a block or two from boat.......in fla--lotsa decent pizza, close to boat... come on down,smb--we waiting!!!!

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 14:14   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

This might seem odd but in zacatexas, mex. I had a tomato pie that was really good ..and a hotdog that was really good also..Zee if your reading this there is a place called Somberetie(little hat)maybe two hrs. dr.from Mazitlan that is so cool ..its a silver mine village and the people are wonderful.. if you like Ill call my friends and they can pick you up and show you a good time ,they own a hotel(colonial era) and a ice cream parlor and liquer store in town and its very nice ..another friend across the street is a doctor and they own the local pharmacy. you know how to tell a good town from some that arent as good as others is to count the money exchange bureaus ..that means that they have lots of relatives in the states and therefore they are hard working and since they have relatives in the states they are keen to see that you are taking care of.A village with 4 or more money exchanges is a good indicator that the folks are good to go...DVC
Old 17-07-2011, 15:13   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

sounds cooool.... and interesting!!!
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 17:11   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Folks, No matter the issue at hand there will always be cheerleaders who will declare everything you say is exaggerated and or your concern is overblown, (with and without an ulterior motive), people who are very lucky and or who have managed to always be in the right place at the right time, and people who are quite happy to remain uninformed. Ultimately we must make our own decisions about the relative levels of risk we are prepared to take. Anybody considering a trip through South East Asia can begin here: Travel Advice for Indonesia - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Travel Advice for Malaysia - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Travel Advice for Thailand - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade I was not aware of the advisory below until I checked this site for travel advisories. So, I may have to consider modifying my plans to see more of Madagascar. Especially since even Nose Be, a popular tourist destination and location I visited in 2003, is said to have participated to some degree in the upheaval mentioned in the advisory. Travel Advice for Madagascar - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade And yes, I do see things as if the cup is half empty.... Tom, You do not need to wonder any more. I am not going with the rally. I am no longer honour bound since my assumed crew member failed to show for the rally BBQ. This is allegedly "because she went to a birthday party out of town and couldn't snag a ride to the Darwin Sailing Club". Learned this because she sent a text message to one of her friends who she knew was looking for a crew position during the event. What ever happened to taxis, bus travel, hoofing the distance, hitch hiking and simply asking if there may be a possibility someone at the club could come get her? I am wont to tell you my alternate destination since I understand at least one pirate has admitted to selecting his targets from a cruiser's web site that told of his next destination, departure time and more..... Best of luck to all. Out of here. Svarmido
PorkLoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 18:48   #21
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

There is pizza in Madagascar !

Pizza restaurants in Madagascar - Lonely Planet

and pizza hut in Mauritius!!!

Mauritius Pizza Hut

SaltyMonkey sail there yes?
Old 18-07-2011, 09:47   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter

Svarmido - State Dept. travel advisories are a perfect example of what I was saying earlier. They are typically (though not always) little more than CYA documents that tend to exaggerate the scope and severity of the situation. If there's violence in Manila or in the south of the Philippines, for example, the advisory puts the whole country off limits. Ridiculous. They are meant to make sure the State Dept. can say "I told you so."
Old 18-07-2011, 11:23   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Sneuman, I believe the advisories are pretty specific as to the most dangerous locations. It is important for travellers in areas where credible threats have been made to remember attacks are most likely to occur where foreigners congregate (possibly a rally event). Terrorists are after maximum effect. Does this mean an individual is immune from attack. No. Nor do specific warnings about particular locations mean attacks will not occur anywhere in the region. Terrorists are highly mobile, canny and determined. I concur with your assertion that media coverage can make an incident to appear larger or more significant than it really is. Does this make the danger any less real, or worthy of avoidance? Perspectives of those unaffected by violence means little to those affected by the same. Only difference is that the victims were in the wrong place at the wrong time and the observers were not. A high level of certainty that one will be immune from injury or death can only be attained by avoiding an area or region where credible threats are known to have been made. Svarmido
Old 18-07-2011, 12:27   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter

All I can say is that I have, on many occasions, been required to go to the very areas covered by State Dept. travel advisories. Their specificity has improved in recent years, but it is still overly general and I believe ultimately unfair, because a SD advisory, hastily issued, can kill a local economy. I have seen it happen more than once.

Think of downtown Jakarta like any big American city. There are parts you wouldn't want to go. As an outsider, you might be inclined to say the whole city was "too dangerous." But, as you become more familiar with the area, you realize that it's neither as dangerous anywhere as first thought nor does even that lesser degree of dangerous exist outside very specific areas. Sure, if a terrorist is going to strike, he/she may do so in a crowded "tourist" area. Like Manhattan's financial district or the Olympics pavillion.

I'm not suggesting you don't need to be careful, but I just don't think you should allow a fear of crime -- and, in one form or another, that's what we're talking about -- to become debilitating. I've lived in India, Thailand, Hong Kong, have been on assignment in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam. The only time I have been seriously threatened on the street (i.e., mugged) was when I lived in Brooklyn in 1998, right at the time when Guiliani had declared New York the safest big city in America. Go figure.
Old 18-07-2011, 13:08   #25

Boat: Maxum 37'

I can only comment on those places I've been to.

Malaysia for the most part was fairly stable when I was there last. Some bribery is expected, (not required but it makes things alot easier). I did have a couple of incidents, but at least one was somewhat self induced by leaving the usual tourist areas and trying to circumvent the "system". (see fish story)

Thailand has never been "safe". Millions of tourists visit there regularly, but general lawlessnes, and what is basically a monarchy means you could always get into trouble if you looked for it. (Yes I know Thai people are the nicest and most friendly people on earth), but at least one major US actor died there in recent years.

Singapore has a strict government, but as long as you follow their laws you will be fine. I was never asked for a bribe there. Officials are generally helpful if you ask them for help and indicate a willingness to follow their directives. Just be sure to dump any chewing gum or other contraband before entering their waters.

I've never been fed a rat, (that I know of), but anyone who has eaten meat from a street vender has most likely eaten something that normally wears a collar.

I would not be afraid to go to any of the asian countries. The piracy there is somewhat overstated, but thre are areas that are under dispute that would be best avoided.
Old 18-07-2011, 13:35   #26

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Obviously all things deserve due respect, but without my own experience (yet), I find myself thinking more about leaving my boat alone whilst I've gone ashore (Somalia excepted).
Assuming some level of Streetwise behavior, is one's unattended boat more at risk than one's self?
Is there anything special that Sailors do in that regard?

Wondering,
Extemp.
Old 18-07-2011, 15:50   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
All I can say is that I have, on many occasions, been required to go to the very areas covered by State Dept. travel advisories. Their specificity has improved in recent years, but it is still overly general and I believe ultimately unfair, because a SD advisory, hastily issued, can kill a local economy. I have seen it happen more than once.

Think of downtown Jakarta like any big American city. There are parts you wouldn't want to go. As an outsider, you might be inclined to say the whole city was "too dangerous." But, as you become more familiar with the area, you realize that it's neither as dangerous anywhere as first thought nor does even that lesser degree of dangerous exist outside very specific areas. Sure, if a terrorist is going to strike, he/she may do so in a crowded "tourist" area. Like Manhattan's financial district or the Olympics pavillion.

I'm not suggesting you don't need to be careful, but I just don't think you should allow a fear of crime -- and, in one form or another, that's what we're talking about -- to become debilitating. I've lived in India, Thailand, Hong Kong, have been on assignment in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam. The only time I have been seriously threatened on the street (i.e., mugged) was when I lived in Brooklyn in 1998, right at the time when Guiliani had declared New York the safest big city in America. Go figure.
When I think of jakarta I think of the worlds 4th largest natural gas reserves and then I think about who owns those reserves (western countries)and then I think of how I would fill if I had those reserves but could not beneifit from them(because my gov is corrupt and wont share)..then I think about what I would do to those that did benefit and then had the nerve to sail to my country in a big nice boat that I cant afford and then..aah you get the picture no wonder they hate us and attack us and I didnt do anything to them on a personel level.....dvc
Old 18-07-2011, 17:49   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Sneuman, You say; "I'm not suggesting you don't need to be careful, but I just don't think you should allow a fear of crime"... We are not talking about your run of the mill crime here. Anywhere in the world I choose to go is going to have what I would normally consider to be "crime". But for the most part, simply avoiding areas known to be frequented by criminals; returning to one's boat or hotel room before dark, and at all times being alert to one's surroundings will suffice. In South Africa white folks would warn me against going into some areas. I went anyway, but on a bicycle. If there were suspicious looking people on one side of the road I'd move toward the opposite side, and or speed up to pass them quickly. When I saw someone I judged to be "safe" I'd often stop to talk. But then, I was not likely to suffer injury or death from an explosive device designed to kill and maim at maximum effect as many people as possible. This kind of criminal act is called "terrorism". The perpetrators of terrorism are willing to take their own life and have no respect for other people's lives. They are driven by a kind of fanaticism foreign to most westerner's mindset. We have a false sense of invulnerability. We tend to believe it will never happen to ourselves. We go blithley about our business, confident the locals appreciate our money enough that they will never harm us, indeed will keep us safe. We are lulled into a place where we believe all people are the same, have similar needs, viewpoints and for the most part are happy living the way they do. Thus, we become prime targets for people like those referred to in tropicalescape's post. Svarmido
Old 18-07-2011, 18:05   #29

So why do you have to go to those places? There are lots of other interesting areas to go in the world where terrorism is not a problem cruisers have to worry about. Sure, things can happen any place, but most of us, no matter what we do, will die of some mundane disease, whether we like it or not.
Old 18-07-2011, 18:27   #30
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Simplistic assertions about so called terrorists are very wide of the mark. In general " they" don't hate us , whoever they are. They tend to hate our western interference. We tend to foster this "Hate us " attitude as it's part of a dehumanising process that we subject such people to. Ones mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. ( see Washington )

I agree with the comments that travel advisories are often very wide of the mark. They use to exist fir Belfast yet the troubles there were always contained within small conflict areas.

Tourists are rarely targeted, unless inadvertently. Terrorists see no gain in harming externals, in general.

Dave.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: