Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2013, 12:41   #1

Boat: Najad 460
Which is safer, Durban or Richards Bay?

I am hoping to cross the Indian Ocean from Phuket to Africa next Spring and would like to leave my boat, either in a marina or on the hard for a few months. Richards Bay or Durban seem the obvious choices. Any recommendations for marina's or haulouts?

Richard Iddon. sv Robyn. Najad 460
riddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:23   #2

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Re: Which is safer, Durban or Richards Bay?

Durban would have more facilities. And probably less expensive
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15   #3

Boat: Catamaran 55

I think Richards Bay would be a better bet. Durban isnīt very save and itīs hard to find a friendly face there now. I agree that Durban has more facilities but Richards Bay isnīt too far away and you will get plenty of friendly helpful people in the clubhouse there. Forget Durban Point Yacht club, went there a few months ago and was very disappointed with the club and staff.
KKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:00   #4

Hi:
I spent 6 weeks in Richards Bay, hauled out. The Zululand (www.zyc.co.za) yacht club is very friendly and they have secure yard and knowledgeable folk around to help. Did not go to Durban as you must check out of RB and check back in to all authorities in Durban. Same country, you understand. (?)
I heard nothing but bad stuff about Durban, but that was the city, or parts thereof. The haulout facilities might be secure but don't know.
There is another spot in RB called Tuzi Gazi where you check in but they have only a slipway for short hull work. A tight little spot to get in and out of and no one answers radios except the port control.
Pete
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28   #5

You both may be right. I have not been in RB or Durban in a while, Zululand YC is a great place. When I was there, the Point YC in Durban was a great place. Probably the friendliest YC I have ever been. Has it gone down hill that much or is that just an opinion? I was mugged in Durban but would still go back. I found Cape Town and the Royal Cape YC
to be the worse.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Having been to both places I would choose Richards Bay. Nice place to stay and services are generally available. Sailmaker in Durban picks up in RB regularly for example. Shopping is far from the yacht club, need a ride or a cab.

We stopped in Durban for a time and is a decent place to stay. Need a car to get many things though. We went into the downtown and along the shore during daylight wouldn't do it at night for sure.

When you are in this area give yourself at least a week for sightseeing. We did three weeks and went to Kruger and other parks for the sightseeing and into Lesotho for a week which is very different than surrounding South Africa.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10   #7

Boat: Freedom 32

If you consider Cape Town -
Saldahna bay has a 17km long lagoon alongside it. (Langebaan) It is about an hour north of Cape Town and has a naval base as well as a fair size fishing industry, so there is plenty of marine supply and tradesmen about.
These are the local yacht facilities:
Saldanha Bay Yacht Club | Smitswinkelbaai | Western Cape
Marina | Club Mykonos
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 18:09   #8

Boat: Catamaran 55
Thumbs up Re: Which is safer, Durban or Richards Bay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
You both may be right. I have not been in RB or Durban in a while, Zululand YC is a great place. When I was there, the Point YC in Durban was a great place. Probably the friendliest YC I have ever been. Has it gone down hill that much or is that just an opinion? I was mugged in Durban but would still go back. I found Cape Town and the Royal Cape YC
to be the worse.
I guess it is just my opinion. The club house and everything surrounding it is still in pristine condition and running well by the staff , but it is quite dead when you go there, even the main restaurant is closed down except for functions, it used to be a hive of activities and you could hardly get a table during lunchtime any time of the week , but since most businesses have relocated out of town you donīt get the crowd there any longer. I go there every year and see the decline in numbers and in foreign yachts and each feeds of each other. The two yacht chandlers very friendly but are struggling, closing down or moving into smaller premisses .Durbanites are friendly people, but I wouldn't walk up to West street now even during the day . I would still recommend Richards Bay and agree with Saldana Bay , but that is so much further down the coast that stopping first at Richards bay is a good idea. And yes please enjoy the Parks while there, if you don't have time for Kruger or Umfalosi Game Reserves , I can recommend Tembe Elephant Park, very wild and rustic with none of the western frills. Largest Elephants in South Africa , sleeping in Tents , early morning coffee brought to your tents, good food, morning and evening drives and looked very well after by the staff. The taste of he real old Africa . Please enjoy South Africa it is a beautiful country with very friendly people.
KKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:26   #9

Yes I agree with KKat, South Africa is a beautiful country with wonderful people. It was the highlight of my circumnavigation.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:20   #10

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

If you want to haul out in S Africa, be prepared for sticker shock. The "yard" at the RBYC is run by an individual (not the YC) & he knows how to charge. The YC has a single car they can haul you out with cheaply enough for short jobs, but we thought long term storage & in/out costs were ridiculous. However, we spent 2 years at Tuzi Gazi (the marina is a bit cheaper than the YC) & had essentially NO growth. Not sure why, as we'd painted in Langkawi 1 year before we arrived.

A fair amount has been said about safety in S Africa. We bought a car & traveled 30,000+km in greater southern Africa with no problems. However, EVERYONE in S Africa knows someone who's been shot (I know 3, & we were only there for 2 years). Folks complain about guns in the US, but I don't personally know anyone who's been shot there, despite growing up there.

Do whatever you have to to get to Kruger for a week or 2.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:43   #11

I hauled out at Port Elizabeth Yacht Club, I hauled on a Friday till Monday, It seems
that no one wanted to use the lift on the weekend, so they didn't charge me any laydays.
I had a Zulu, young man, clean the bottom and help me paint. I gave him twenty bucks and everyone told me i gave him too much. Sorry. The whole deal cost me $150 including paint.