Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: A cool post?
yes 40 95.24%
no 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 17:31   #256

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Re: Sumatran Cruise

Beautiful areas Keith .......if you do check out James bond island as well best done early or late because it can be super busy with 100's of tourists on a very small island....read very small island
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 19:39   #257

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Hi Keith

Good to hear from you again and your news are great.

You can anchor in Nai Harn as late in the season as April and with a bit of luck you'll have the whole bay to yourself and your first bride. After that it gets very rolly.

What can you say about Krabi Boat Lagoon? Would it be a good place for long term berthing?

Cheers!
Old 11-03-2013, 20:23   #258

+1 on the Maya Bay advice. Maybe arrive even a little earlier to make sure you get a mooring.

After all the tourists leave (the mass exodus of longtails and other tour boats is impressive), take the dinghy and a bucket of beer to the beach - you'll have it all to yourselves. We did this at >Christmas<, and we still had the beach to ourselves!

Also, there is a nice little cove on the NW corner of Mai Thon island (a few miles SE of Cape Phan Wa on the main island of Phuket) that has some excellent snorkeling without a lot of traffic.
ExpatInKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 23:44   #259

Boat: Catalina 42 MkII
Thumbs up Re: Wife is coming sailing!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Ahoy shipmates.
Latest news is that my lovely wife of 37 byears is coming sailing with me aboard Surfmachine in the Andaman Sea in Thailand on April 18th, for 3 to 4 weeks!!!!

We are flying over to Krabi boat lahoon marina on the 13th April, will do the anti fouling and splash Surfmachine back into the waters of Phang Nga Bay and go cruising around Phi Phi island and all the areas near by. Maybe head over the West coast to the Similans and anchor at Patong and Ao Charong for a while!!!

I am really excited about finally having her aboard our yacht, will be another honeymoon?

Fair winds from Keith.
Excellent! You should have a great time.
Hoges
(are those pics in Prevelly Park?)
hogesinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 17:40   #260

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy Hoges, yes, pics are from Margaret River, Prev, at aussie day!! Are you still in Bunbury mate? 0404542756.

Ahoy Felix, got the PM, thanks, chin up and wallet open!!! See you there soon? Last saw Wildflower swinging happily on her mooring.

Ahoy Expat, thanks for the advice, really looking forward to some nude sailing with the wife!!!? Scuba dived on 3 sides of Ko Phi Phi Ley, along the cliffs, in the other little bay and on the SE end, nice clear water and great coral walls! This was with my daughter Claire, in 2010 and 2011.

Ahoy Mike, only spent 2 nights at Krabi Boat lagoon marina, but it seems really well run and organised. Professional workers and travel lift was first rate, clean and new!!!
Best bit is the 50% discount on all charges if you pay upfront!!! Entrance is a bit tricky to find !!!

Fair winds from Keith...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	56783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	56790  

Name:	IMG_0668.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	56792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	56799  

Old 12-03-2013, 23:54   #261

Hi Keith,
We came back to the boat in late Jan from WA. Did a Paris trip (airfare is only $60 each way from here). Getting ready to head out east end of March. Out in the countryside on a wet day in Tunisia today headed for Dougga with some French & Spanish friends. Driving is interesting! We may not make it in one piece!
Old 12-04-2013, 19:07   #262

Hi Keith,

we are near east Java and i wanted to check with you if you have been around there, anchorages, the coast, hazards..if you have a minute to let me know, and i keep looking for some info. Thank you..
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 19:17   #263

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Have you got the book 101 indonesian anchorages?
If so how have you found it?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 07:52   #264

i'll check..might just venture out carefully..looks beautiful..thanks
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 18:31   #265

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01

Ahoy Joseph.
Never been there by boat!
Never sail near the coast at night or when you have low visibility! Coral!!!
Send in the dingy before you for anchorages and stay offshore until you have checked, sounded the bottom, use a portable gps for a track!
Locals are cool, officials will want to see the CAIT and visa, for all the crew.
Fisherman are very curious and come very close, buy some fish?
Just splashed back in the Phang Gna bay yesterday, heading for Phi ?Phi at 1000 hrs and then Langkawi to pick up my new hypalon tubed dingy.
Bloody hot and wet here!!!
Cheers from Keith.
Old 11-07-2013, 23:59   #266

Ahoy shipmates!! Well the Surfmachine is back in the surf zone!!
Had a great trip across the Malaccan Straits from Phuket to Bandah Aceh!! 45 hours door to door!!
Then another 48 hours non stop to Bangkaru and wonderful surf from day1!!!

Spent 6 weeks in the Banyaks and now at Lagundri Bay on the island of Nias. Surf went flat at the banyaks.

Lagundri Bay goes off and catches all the swell, not too crowded either!

Will stay here for 6 weeks or so.

Check out the video of me surfing the small right hander at Teluk Mariabah, or the bay of plenty, taken with the gopro camera mounted on the front of the board?

Cheers from Keith....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	63978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	63979  

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	63980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	63981  

Attached Files
Old 12-07-2013, 01:21   #267

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Hi Keith

Great news, boat and board looking good!
Old 18-07-2013, 08:55   #268

A nice day at the Bay of Plenty in the BanyakIslands, I am on one of the smaller waves for the day!
Cheers from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	keith.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	64253  
Old 18-07-2013, 09:22   #269

Very nice!
Old 29-07-2013, 18:04   #270

Ahoy shipmates!!!
Hi, surfed for 3 hrs in the morn, then 8 hrs in the arvo, from 11.30am!! Many barrels, one large stand up barrel, made it out of em all. Got caught inside once and nearly drowned, leggy stretched 3X length!!

Was riding the 6'10" little pig in the morn and the 8'8" weapon of wave destruction in the second 8 hr session. Caught and made 21 big waves in the second session, fell off 2 others as too deep and had a drop in!

Saw, maybe 70 long tube rides by other surfers as i was sitting or paddling out.
Best day of surf I have ever seen!! Only 2.3m at 16 seconds,sometimes gets to 4.2m at 18 seconds, then goes like mini taepho??

Very daunting and scary waves!! they seemed impossible to make, but the legends would pull in, hands in the air and stand tall in a swirl of foam and spray and come out the end, everyone screaming and hooting, right from the take off to the end.

Whenever I paddled for one they would all start screaming and hooting and yelling, "go keith..go surfmachine yeehaaaaa!!", and off I would go!!! Best and biggest barrel my brazillian friend got on video, sitting in the channel.
An absolutely priceless experience!

Damo cooked dinner on the boat. Two eggs on toast, pumpkin chips in butter and salt and pepper, and then two big slabs of mahi mahi cooked in butter and lime juice. Mmmmmmm!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2331.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	64827