Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: A cool post?
yes 40 95.24%
no 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-09-2010, 19:43   #46

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Good morning shipmates, maybe I was singing the praises of the mechanic in Nias too early?
Just pulled the diesel injector pump out again and the cut down spring from the mitsubishi brake master cylinder that John put in at Nias is broken, so off to the diesel machanic in Sibolga. It did last about 20 hours though, and I have 3 spares for emergency use!!
Got a tooth filled in sibolga square, an old chinese dentist, 60 years old, same as me, a huge filling from one of my molars came out whilst chewing butterscotch candy at Nias, a very pretty female,Thai dentist from Patong beach replaced it when it fell out in March. He charged me 50,000 rups, about $6.00 aud, and we sat and talked about boats for 30 minutes. Just walk in from the satay stand and no waiting, his assistant pulled out my card, from a previous replaced "fallen out thai filling", a piece of recycled A4 paper straight away. He did a "cement pour" on the molar and said it would last 2 weeks!!! We shall see?
Cheers mateys.
Old 24-09-2010, 20:10   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Dentistry and injector pump repair that both last 4 weeks?

You be in Asia, dude...

Maybe John and the dentist are cousins?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 07:28   #48

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Ahoy Ex-calif, we put a another new spring in the pump and had to cut it though. I cut it a bit longer than the original as it was about 20% softer, got the cut end made flat and ground flat so that both ends look like the original.
Problem is, it all worked great, but the exhaust is pouring out black smoke. So it is running too rich.
The diesel mechanic left and his flunkys reassembled the pump, couldn't bench test the pressures and flow rates as the pump needs to sit on a cam shaft, they can only test gear driven pumps.
So, the question is, is it the length of the spring that is important or the strength of the spring? I have put in a spring 5 mm longer than the original, but it has the same compressing strength as the original. However, it is running really rich, so should I cut the spring to the same length as the others, pretty closely? The number 2 pump has a spring 27mm long and a 10 size spacer, number one has the broken spring and a 20 size spacer.
We can't source an original Kubota spring in sibolga, cant get one in Medan, but we got one from another pump that was identical width and thickness, but 20 mm longer, and 20%weaker.
What advice do offer, cut the spring to the original length, or what?
Do you know how the nanni, kubota, diesel injector pump regulates the amount of fuel delivered to the injector? The throttle plate slides and rotates the needles, but the length of the spring must be crucial, as the "new" spring that broke, was shorter than the original and 20% stronger, and it did not blow rich while it worked?
Thanks for any advice, from Keith.
Old 25-09-2010, 19:51   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spring rates are a science unto themselves.

Without a bench and the right parts it is pretty much trial and error. Both compressive strength and length must be important but given both I would say length is more important. The strength is about rebounding - closing when it's supposed to. The length is about lift and opening far enough.

Based on what you have I would try taking the current (5mm too long spring) and cut it down.

I'd also get the "proper" spring on order. You're gonna need it I think...
Old 25-09-2010, 20:11   #50

Ahoy Ex-calif, the springs are on order, but getting them out of Indonesian customs is another thing!! Meanwhile, I am trying the local resorces to get the boat moving again.

Is it the spring length or the spacer width that controls the pump stroke?

Number one pump is now delivering way too much fuel and the exhaust smoke is very black!

Time to get the tools out!

Thanks from Keith.
Old 25-09-2010, 20:16   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Honestly, Keith, you are beyond my knowledge here and your guess is as good as mine. Without a manual I couldn't say.

But making the spring like the next one is probably a good start. What I don't know is what is happening to that pump when it operates many "cycles" with the wrong part in it? Are the moving parts getting beat up/chewed up?

High pressure pumps are a pretty delicate thing as you know requiring a good bench test rig and some precise tools.

I hope you can get it going again.
Old 25-09-2010, 20:57   #52

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
All you guys have absolutely juiced up this forum with this thread. I am reading with rapt attention. Thank you for the posts.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 22:52   #53

Ahoy Ex-calif, my crew has flown to singapore, there today and he will see the local nanni engine dealers and see if he can get the part, for the 3.75HE nanni diesel fuel injector pump. Part number 970142159
Marine Diesel Services Pte Ltd.

1 970307860 ASSY PUMP,INJECTION 1
2 970307603 ASSY PLUNGER 3
3 970142147 VALVE,INJ.PUMP 2. 40HE 3
4 970142148 SPRING,INJ.PUMP 3
5 970142149 GASKET,RING INJ.PUMP 2.40 3
6 970307604 BRACKET 3
7 970142151 O-RING,INJ.PUMP 3
8 970302918 FLANGE,SLEEVE 3
9 970302919 PIN,JOINT 3
10 970142161 O-RING,INJ.PUMP 6
11 970303946 SCREW 6
12 970307605 WASHER,TONGUED 6
13 970142165 TAPPET,INJ.PUMP CPL. 3
14 970303947 PIN,TAPPET GUIDE 3
15 970307865 PIN,CLAMP 1
16; 970142159 SPRING,INJ.PUMP 3
17 970303949 SEAT,SPRING -UPPER- 3
18 970303950 SEAT,SPRING -LOWER- 3
19 970303951 SHIM 1
20 970307866 RACK,CONTROL 1
21 970307867 PLATE 1
22 970303954 SCREW 4
23 970142168 SLEEVE,CONTROL 2
24 970307609 SCREW,FOLLOW 1
25 970307610 GASKET,COPPER 2
26 970307611 SCREW 1
27 970307612 GASKET 1
28 970307868 BOL

Do you know these guys at all, a Mr Andy Yang is the engine contact person, 65-92365492
andyang@mediesel.com

Cheers from Keith.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Nanni injector pump.doc (128.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 26-09-2010, 05:54   #54

Ahoy shipmates!
It's very annoying when people post a problem and never say if there was a solution!
Well there was for this one, its going again, without any black smoke!!
The flamin "diesel mechanics" in Sibolga, I call them hodads!!! had put the plunger needle in back to front on number 1 cylinder pump, so it was pushing full power fuel all the time, just straight through. After a rest I pulled the pump out twice, put a shorter spring in, still smoking! Then checked the orientation of the plunger with the slot at the end, with number 3 and could see it was reversed, so put it back in the right way, after pulling the pump out again. Bingo, it works great, no smoke, nearly full power, as the spring is a bit shorter by 1mm than the original.
But, hey!!! it sounds wonderful and nearly 7 knots under power!! Yippeeee!
Now its 8pm local time and time for lunch, phew!!
Now .... what will be the next catastrophe??
Old 26-09-2010, 06:06   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Now .... what will be the next catastrophe??
Small swell with an onshore breeze?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:26   #56

Oh! I don't think I will be able to fix that one?
Old 29-09-2010, 21:33   #57

Ahoy shipmates.
Well I have just returned from Immigrasi with my third and final 30 day visa extension!!! My backside is still hurtimg!!!
Had an interview with the biggest boss and he wanted an new fishing rod and shimano reel, ok, then his 3rd ic took me down to the fishing shop and we picked a nice rod/reel combo.
Then down to the foreshore for something out of the french connection!!! He hits me up for office fees, ok, then fees for him to travel to Medan to ask for an extension and then extras, well ok???
I paid up and then appears my passport with the new visa, Miraculous!!! But a hell of a lot easier than going to Medan myself and leaving the boat unattended?
Me and Immigrasi are now "family", so future dealings should be a lot smoother?

But, really, passport exchanges on the beach? Almost felt like James Bond!!!
Reprovisioning now, crew returns tomorrow, new springs for the injector pump here on the 5th October, from France via Sydney with DHL. My local chinese mate at the engineering shop is the delivery address.
Come on the Mentawis!
Fair winds from Keith.
Old 07-10-2010, 15:50   #58

Surfing the Mentawis

Ahoy Shipmates!
We are anchored in the Mentawi island chain. At a place called Telescopes, just south of Playgrounds. A beautiful long left hander, with a nice barrel section, surfed for 8 hours yesterday, in 2 sessions. The NW storms have abated and it has been glassy all day and night. The swell was 2.4m at 17 seconds, pretty solid and some double overhead waves.

Once you cross the Malaccan straights you can anchor in the sw end of the Banda Aceh bay, or around near Pulau Wea, where you can check into cutoms and immigration, then continue around the corner down the nw coast and there is a good anchorage down at bay protected from the swell and winds about 45 nmiles down the coast, a days sail from banda aceh, then a few more anchorages along the way to Sibolga, or just head straight to the bay of plenty in the banyaks, 2 days sail, as I did, or stop at bangarus, or at simalue, sabang? I haven't got the gps coordinates in front of me, can write them later or show you on a chart?

Lots of problems of untangling the chain from the coral in the Mentawi anchorages, but starting to relax again. The injector pump appears to be holding up!
Fair winds from Keith.
Old 07-10-2010, 16:20   #59
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi Keith,

Wonderful to hear you are going well!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:35   #60

Malaria in the Mentawis

Ahoy shipmates, it's actually very comfortable out here on the Northern Indian ocean, we are below the equator now!!

I always sleep with a fan on and a light throw rug over me, got down to 26.9C in the cabin 2 days ago during the storms!! 32C yesterday.
As long as you have deck awnings its good below decks, without them it gets too warm!

It was hotter in Phuket and Langkawi, actually!! Out on the ocean its a dream, really nice, we bake bread every 2nd day and its still ok inside, mmmmmm!!!

For malaria, I take teracycline as "doxycycline", 100 mgs every day as a prophylactic against malaria, it is endemic in the Mentawis and resistant to chloroquinine etc, large infant mortality rate here?? You can buy 3 months supply for 20K rupiah, about $3 asd in the apoteks, chemists.

Actually I have seen very few mosquitos! Also, I have full mosquito nets on hook and eye strip fasteners over the 2 hatches and companionway opening.

Been on the doxycyline antibiotics for 6 months now, no side effects except for a bit of jock thrush early on when surfing every day for 8 hrs plus, but liberal applications of betadine killed it quick, never been healthier mate? The shoulders get a bit sore with "god knows how many kilometres of paddling on a good surf day? maybe 10 k's? If I catch 35 set waves in a 2 session surf?"
I have 4 fixed fans and 1 moveable fan for the boat, one blows onto the motor bay for cooling when working on the engine.
Cheers from Keith.