Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: A cool post?
yes 38 95.00%
no 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 15:45   #151

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Bit rough about the Rp charges! Must think you are a surfing atm.
Bet you feel better for no booze too.
Waves sound amazing, pumped to get there next year more than ever.
Regards Harvey

Old 05-09-2011, 16:34   #152

Re: Sumatran Cruise

Yeah, Happy Birthday Keith!

Those rupiah charges to recover your board are a bit much - 500,000! That's Aust$55. I'm assuming that's the bargained down price - so where did he start? A million?
They're 'greedy' prices...

Anyway, keep surfin' and good onya for giving up the booze.

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:58   #153

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy, picked up Brian in Nias, a 43 yo vet from Sydney, as crew, will saty for the rest of the trip!

Just doing a 9 hour offshore passage to Asu island, daytime, 3 nmiles offshore at present, no wind, sea glassy, 4.5 knots. eta 9 hrs from now, amongst the coral on an offshore island, at 3pm local time.

Safe sailing
Old 12-09-2011, 23:15   #154

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Wish I could join you Keith, keep posting and hope to see you in Phuket in November.

M
Old 12-09-2011, 23:36   #155

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01

Thaks Capn....

Now 12 nautical miles, 20 kilomtres offshore, can see the famous Bawa Bombie 6 miles off on the straboard bow, the Hinako Islands coming up fine on the starboard Bow, 3 hours to dropping the pick at Asu, meant to be really beautiful anchorage with a long, smokin, barrelling left hander?? Internet still good, but slow, must have good phone towers on Nias?
Crew cooked yummy banana pancakes for brekky, I will bake some fresh bread for lunch, with fresh tinned butter from Holland and mulberry jam, gee I am getting hungry again.

Got 7.1 knots on the port boew at 35 degrees and ther jib pulling us along at 5.4 knots, motor sailing.

Fair winds from Keith.
Old 16-09-2011, 18:14   #156

Ahoy, had 3 days at Asu, but a very dodgy anchorage, in 33m of water, with a lee shore!

Wave was wonderful, costs 100 usd per person per night, to stay at the lodge in front of the break, free on surfmachine. But very exposed to all the storms that roll off of Nias! Wave is like margaret river peak take off meets the screaming wall of the red bluff left, holds a big size!!

Second day got caught inside by a huge 7 wave sneaker set that the third one pitched straight onto my head and just tore the leg rope off and a fair bit of skin and severe bruising to my right ankle, swam to the dingy and board on the rocks, ouch!!!

Surfed again the next day but ankle was too sore after 12 waves! So sailed downwind on a sw squall, 6 knots with the jib poled out and gull winged sails to Afulu.

Avast, now anchored in beautiful Afulu, the sydney harbour of the nw coast of Nias, a right and a left out the front, a very, vey calm night, 3 other yachts here as well. Having a rest from surfing today due to an injured right leg from having the leggy torn off by a mega set at Asu, what a wave that is!!!

Rained all night, water tanks are full from the rain catcher canopy.
Its all good, keith of the black feet tribe! Crew has paddled off sat dawn to surf the lefts, ! am listening to the bbc news.

Cheers, Raku and Black Billy are anchored here.

Cheers.............
Old 17-09-2011, 02:34   #157

What a trip, 33 meters of water to anchor that is one deep anchorage, dont think i have ever done more than 8-10 meters.
Has there been any issues surfing waves with those surfcamps there re being excluive to guests only?
Thanks harvey
Old 17-09-2011, 18:32   #158

Ahoy Harvey, no problems with the surf camps yet? They were all very welcoming. In fact, one guest rescued my board from the rocks and carried it out onto the coral reef and handed it to me after I swam over from the dingy. The coral reef is all dead and sticks 5' out of the sea, due to the whole island beeing lfited 8' last year out of the water. That is one reason the anchorage is so deep, shallower is only like 10m from the beach and big chunks of dead coral.

At Macaronis, you cant anchor, only use the buoys, and you must book them well ahead, and pay. If you come in at night they will tell you to leave by 1000 hrs!

Went ashore at Afulu, lovely, clean and bright Christian village, got some bananas and essentials, met 3 other captains from cruisers, now have 5 yachts in this anchorage. 2 aussie, 1 sth african, 1 usa, 1 spainish( leaving today).

No surf until wednesday!

Had two grilled crayfish in garlic and butter sauce for tea last night and a loaf of fresh boat baked wholemeal bread, bought them on the beach as I was leaving for 50,000 rups. Yummy!

Crew is washing the clothes and tea towels in the dingy, it is half full of rain water, had the tanks filling all night after a few spectacular lightning storms through the night!

Fair winds from Keith.
Old 17-09-2011, 19:18   #159

I think when i get the boat over there i will base out of Phuket and just do the area you are in and not worry about the Mentawis too much,from your current trip i can not see any reason to go anywhere else?
Still dribbling uncontrolably after your crayfish dinner.

Hope the sore foot improves before wed.

Regards harvey
Old 18-09-2011, 02:50   #160

Keith, I'm sorry to hear about your ankle injury but copping a few big sets on the head occasionally is good for you - reminds you that you're still alive!

Mate, you are having the adventure of a lifetime, I'm stoked for you...

So, you've got a Vet for crew?!? Well, at least they'll be able to stitch you up if you cop a few nasty reef gashes. Keep posting your tales of sailing/surfing adventure

Old 18-09-2011, 03:44   #161

Thanks Harvey and surfer! The vet has serious ulcers on his leg rope foot, very sore and weepy, I covered them up with elastoplast wround around the whole foot to try and let a scab form, the one on the heel, covered with fixumul, adhesive tape, he is on antibiotics, I am still on the daily dose of doxycycline, a tetracycline, and glad of it, 2 mozzies in the back bunk last night despite every hatch closed due to the pouring rain. 3 people carted off from the Banyaks with the dreaded Malaria!!!

The lightning was awesome, some strikes right next to us, tremendous bass, reminded me of seeing ACDC live in Perth!!!!

Crew has baked 2 loaves of bread this arvo and I made a new surfboard cover for my 7'5" as the old travel bag has disintegrated in the sun, stitched it up with fishing net twine bought ashore and curtain fabric offcuts!

Also, went through all the fishing gear and set up new lures on strong stainless leaders, and set up some good bottom fishing rigs. First days off of work, "surfing", since July the first, when I first got to Bangkaru and it was head andf a half high.

"Cheers", the south african cat, skipper, Steven, left for Lagundri bay this morning. "Turtle", with American Nick, lost his autopilot, not to be confused with "one eyed nick", sailed into the anchorage yesterday,under full ketch sails in his 32' wharram cat, accompanied by the gorgeous Carmen, late of Victoria, Vancouver Island, Canada. She might as well be wearing no bikini bottoms when surfing as her string bikini is very, very small, good duck dives!? They have Alex from Spain and Alice from Thailand aboard, they both fly out tomorrow for Spain.

Also Ian and Michelle, aboard "Raku", from Moloolaba, and Shaun and wife aboard "Balck Billy", from Coffs Harbour. Quite a cruising community?

My calf muscle is too sore to touch and the ankle and foot is very swollen up and a nice shade of black. Ian, from Raku, got whacked at Asu a few days before me and bruised all his left side and thigh, just from the force of the wave landing on him!!

Sure lets you know you are alive, though, when bouncing along the bottom and being twirled around like a dead cat on the end of a piece of string and trying to relax so you dont use up all your air before you eventually try and swim for the surface, you wonder how much longer you will stay alive? Without that surfboard to hang onto when you surface you cant get your head out of the foam for a breath and often get sucked back down again, only a surfer knows the feeling and learns to relax and not panic.

Its all part of the fun?

Bread smells good, crew made eggs on bread with onions, grilled tomoato, salt and pepper and hot mocchas this morning, he is good value is Brian! I make a roast dinner tonight.

Fair winds from Keith.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:15   #162

Ahoy shipmates.
Been back in sibolga for 4 days, and have got a new 30 day visa extension, thanks to my friend Edard in the immigrassi and 700,000 rupiah for helping!!??
Crew went and got one extended the next day, cheaper!

Well, finally bit the bullit and went down to Padang to see my rescuer from the charter boat last year and collected a truck load of boating gear from the old Eloise. She was washed away by the tsunami, 10 days after I left her sitting on the beach, sans her keel. Found out today. So luckily, I did not stay on the beach of the desert island where she was aground, and attempt to salvage her?

So, I now have most of her gear to be stored on the deck of surfmachine, or in the crew cabin, and taken back to Langkawi, when I return in November. Lots of nearly new stuff that I had installed on her 10 months before she went aground. My rescuer got a lot of very good stuff, includingthe diesel motor, which had done about 1100 hours, now a genset aboard the charter yacht. But, he was an absolute prince and a saint for helping me when I stuffed up! It's all put to bed now?

Actually sitting at a little one room warung, a small eating room, on the road from Buckatinggi, on Sumatra, whilst the driver of the truck I hired has a sleep, been on the road since 1900 hrs yesterday, loaded the truck and 3/4 of the way back to Sibolga, without a break. He is a asleep on the eating table inside.

A beautiful view back to the SW of a huge volcanoe, wreathed in cloud and lovely rice terraced valleys stretching off into the afternoon sun at 1708 hrs. Quite cool here, for beeing just above the equator, up high?

So, my crew and I, a 43 yo vet from Sydney, called Brian, will enjoy another 30 days around Nias and the Banyaks, then come back to Sibolga and check out and take about a month to return to Langkawi in Novemeber. Everything is going very well at the moment and I am really enjoying the crising life on the new yacht, she is a beauty!

All the best from Keith in Western Sumatran highlands.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:28   #163

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Isn't it just wonderful how corruption works? Rather than pay the state, just buy the visa from a private enterprise!!! I should know, I'm from the third world...

Brilliant Keith, another excellent post. I can just see in my mind what you describe. Wish I was there.

I won't be able to come to Phuket in November but perhaps in January with a little luck. Just work commitments.

Have fun mate, see you soon.

M
Old 06-10-2011, 22:06   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Brilliant Keith, another excellent post. I can just see in my mind what you describe. Wish I was there.

Ditto, what Capn Morgan said!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:11   #165

Avast shipmates, did see a bad crash just after we went mobile on the trans-sumatran highway, a big low loader semi went off the road, which is barely wide enough for a single car, way up high in the jungle and mountains, and the wheels unk into the mud and over she went, smashed the fibreglass acb and spilled the load of 5' diametre stel pipes across the road!!! About 6am in the morn, no one stops, just drives past on the shoulder in the mud. Were stopped by a mob of Indos in the night, had a big fire going in the road and were armed with hoes, demanded money but tghe driver just accelerated over the edge of the fire and kept going, earn't his 2,000,000 rupiah!?

Nearly ran over about 50 pedestrians walking in the road, in dark clothes at night, clipped one guy!!

Worst road I have ever been on?

Cheers from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	32448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	32449