Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: A cool post?
yes 38 95.00%
no 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-08-2011, 19:28   #136

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Re: Sumatran Cruise

Ahoy, Banyaks for 6 weeks was wonderful, huge swells at Lolock point, great left hander, long rides ending in over knee deep coral reef, three times overhead!

Now in Lagundri bay, Nias, for 1 month.
Pulled in yesterday at midday after an overnight passage from Sibolga, and got 20 set waves before dark!

Now solo, crew has gone back to London, as planned.

Fair winds from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BANKARUS.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	30560  

Old 24-08-2011, 06:11   #137

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Hello Keith,
Love all of your posts and soo informative.
I am from bells beach in Vic and hope to sail my 45 ft cat over there next year from Darwin and surf along the way and then leave it in HKT for a year or three.
I have been on a 2 week charter in the Mentawis and fell in love with the waves and place itself.
My cat has radar and all the interlinked raymarine gear.
Whats your thoughts on sat phone, forward looking sonar and any other gear.
I figure i will just try to copy what you are doing so you are the best to ask.
Thanks Harvey

Old 25-08-2011, 23:26   #138

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. http://photobucket.com/eloise_01

Ahoy Harvey.

Great plans that you have? It's easy, just do it , as Nike' says?!!!
Must, must have the best radar with a loud alarm, also, forward looking sonar is sooooo good when amongst the coral. I should have had them last year??

Sat phone is good, but if you are within 10 miles of the land then you have the best mobile phone network in the southern hemisphere here in Indo, Thailand, Malaysia. Then there is the broad band internet network. No reception at Bankaru's and you have to climb a tree in the bay of plenty. HF radio is great to listen to the ABC in the morning and the BBC at night.

Get a really strong Muir/Lofrans, 1.5Kwatt anchor windlass and 100m of 10mm chain on a BIG delta style anchor, carry 2 spares and a scuba tank as you get hooked up easily on the coral and can break the windlass unless you use a chain grabber to hold the chain and no strain on the anchor windlass, with remotes in the cockpit and at the windlass.

Hardly any sailing up here, just squalls and storms on the nose, at night!!!
I have another chart plotter mounted over my bunk for an anchor watch and also to watch the course when the crew is at the helm, speed etc, data repeater at the nav station and radar can be swivelled to view from the helm, nav station or from the lounge, where I rest when it is raining and blowing a gale up topsides, always at 3am in the morn!!

Just in from surfing Lagundri bay at Nias for 2 hours, got 7 set waves in 1.5 hours, went down heavily half way along on the last one, so paddled over to the dingy for breakfast. Only 4 guys out when I got there, but after 1 hour there was 12. Best right hand barrels I have ever seen in my life, and such high performance surfing!! Amazing place, such a perfect wave, but really heavy if you make a mistake or get caught inside.

Best of luck with your plans Harvey, from Keith.
Old 26-08-2011, 02:21   #139

Thank you so much for he advice,
I now need to add 50 of chain to the anchor and grab a 3rd spare.
It's 1-2 ft here and 10 degrees, i am jealous.
The repeater i will set up, i have been using the i pad for the anchor alarm and navigation while i am in bed, but i will add the radar to the tv for the 3am squalls.
Interesting on the mobile network, i was in the mentawis in 2007 and there was nothing.
What do you do for internet? Is it all satellite? I was going to get the mobile handhld sat phone.

I just need to get there, have the boat but not the time at the moment, will need to change that.

Thanks so much Harvey
Old 27-08-2011, 06:50   #140

Ahoy shipmates.

Surf is way better here since the quake of few years ago, whole reef has lifted about 8' up in the air, waves are superb.

Had best day of surf, maybe, in my whole life today. 7 set waves before brekky, pushing 8' to 10' sets, waves the size of the gables on my house, a two story house, then 20 set waves in the arvo from 3pm to 6 pm, absolute glass, only 2 waves didn't get all the way. 6 guys out, the rest pounded out of the arena!!

Absolutely amazing waves here in lagundri bay. 30 foot faces easy!!!! riding my 7'5" I made at christmas, 4" thick round tail thruster, paddles onto anything and is really loose to surf and turn on the face.

These waves are like gold here!!?

Lovely fresh tuna for tea last night, from local fishing boat.
was going for roast chicken dinner ashore trhis evening with simon, old mate from Kuaii, but the indos bought him a pidgeon or quail, not enough even for 1 person, another day.

Will stay away from the Mentawis, too crowded, after 1 month here I move to Bawa, Asu, Afulu, then back to Bankaru and the Banyak Islands until October 10th, when I return to Sibolga for a 1 month visa extension, then maybe the Mentawis as I have to pick up a lot of gear from Padang. Back in Langkawi in late November.

Will be looking for a crew to help with passage back to Langkawi from the Banyak Islands or Mentawis in October or November, join the yacht in Sibolga, Padang or Sinabang?

Keith
Old 01-09-2011, 20:26   #141

Still at Lagundri Bay

Finally went ashore via the beach, swell has droppen enough to attempt a surf landing and hired a motor bike and went into Teluk Dalam for a look. Kids had been playing in the dingy and opened the inflaror valves on the side air chambers, didn't realise until I started the motor on the beach and launched the dingy into the surf and My arse got plenty wet as the water flooded in over the side!!! Got out through the beach break ok and closed off the valves! Will check that in future!

Plenty of storms here shipmates, last night it rained and thundered and big light show, allllllllllll nightttttt!!!!! Yacht was rocking wildly, strong southerly, a lee shore here in Lagundri Bay, but now offshore, from the NW and the surf is pumping on the right hand point break out if front of my yacht! Just finish the morn coffee and out for a few glassy wave faces!

Got into cruising because you are totally in your own world out here, might as well be in a spaceship? totally self reliant, make your own power, except when motoring, contact with the rest of the world when you choose, via HF radio, ABC, BBC, listening to the ABC from Melbourne at present and talk to the world via the net and best mobile network in the southern hemisphere up here in Indo/Malaysi/Thailand.

I cruise a lot by myself, really enjoy it, and the surf up here is amazing, stuff of dreams!

http://surfmachine-surfmachine.blogspot.com/

Cheers sailer!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 00:41   #142

G'day Keith, just discovered your thread and spent a lot of time reading it from the beginning and clicking on all your surf shots! You lucky bugger - living the Surfer/Sailor dream...
Yeah I know mate, it's not all fun and games. Living aboard a cruising yacht has it's up's and down's but that's what makes your life rich - good onya!

I haven't been back to Nias since I was there in '86. I was living in Bali 10 years ago and nearly bought a Mentawai surf charter boat but ended up not. My wife lived there for 8 years and then I brought them (her and 2 kids) to Oz. She had a good business there and I was a kept man, surfing every day - my mates in Oz were totally envious but the reality is that I got bored (apart from the surf). The average person goes on 2 weeks holidays to Bali and that's there memory - a holiday experience. The reality is there are no parks, sporting fields and services that westerners take for granted. A lot of the ex-pats hang out in cafes or play golf at the 5 star resorts at Nusa Dua. That bores the ***** out of me. Don't get me wrong, I love SE Asia, the people, the food the anything goes and I've spent years travelling. But when you 'live' there....

What you're doing on the other hand - that's living life! I have done it and want to do it again but for now I've got 3 kids and the R word - responsibilty. LOL! Your life is real; up's and down's, problems with the engine, epic surf in the morning; got to get your visa extended, fresh tuna cooked in Banana leaf in the evening!

Had to laugh about all your 'fees' to the immigrasi to extend visas, etc. Typical Indo (typical 3rd world actually) - in the west we call it corruption; over there it's just doing business . If you want something done quick then a 'donation' (like the fishing rod you had to buy the chief immigration officer) will help enormously

Your new yacht looks good. Unusual keel design - not a true long keel which normally begins from the forefoot; not really a fin keel which doesn't sweep all the way aft to the rudder. Yours is kinda an amalgam of the two...

Anyway, just wanted to say that I enjoy your thread and good onya for doing it and getting stuck in at 60!

Selamat Jalan, Markus

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:19   #143

Selamat Tingaal Markus.

Thanks for your kind words!

There is another Markus up here on a wooden charter boat out of Sinabang, on Simalue Island, just north of the Banyaks. Boat is called Gaia Calistomen?? I think, he comes from the great ocean road area of Victoria, around Lorne, do you know him?

Yes, the new Feltz has a great design, very, very strong, the ship yard that made her, well, they used to make submarines for the Nazis in the second world war!!! the shoe, extension of the fin keel, protects the propellor and also supports the rudder post, 15 mm thick alloy in there! 4 tonnes of lead, 500 litres of diesel, under a welded in floor.

I wont go back to Bali for a while, used to stay at Ulu's at Thomas's on the padang padang cliffs, then the padand padang inn, but it is now over run with cars and tourists, 70 in the water at Ulus, and it never stops, they used to all go back to Kuta in the evening, but now heaps stay up on the bukit and only get a decent surf when the outside corner is 10 foot plus! Spent, maybe 10 seasons there.

Desert point is stuffed, with losmens on the beach etc...etc.
Up here, surf a lot by myself, or just the crew, when aboard.
28C air temp, 32C water temp, glassy conditions in the morn and evenings, Lagundri waves, when over 2.4metres at 16 seconds rival back door pipe, best barrel riding I have ever seen here, in the world, Markus!!!

Well, better go ashore and get my laudry from the cook, before he sells it and then have an arvo surf at the point.

It's a good life Markus, as long as you are drawing breath?

Selemat sore from Keith.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:19   #144

Wow aweome waves and what a place.
As i am hoping to get over there in 2012 we are busy getting the boat ready.
What do you do for internet over there and in the Mentawis?
Have you had any security issues anywhere along your travels?
Taking your reconmendations and adding another 50 m of chain now and trying to source the forward looking sonar.

Happy barrels

Harvey
Old 04-09-2011, 06:54   #145

Ahoy Harvey, another 7 set waves this sunday morning, a sleep and then 10 set waves in the afternoon, 8 hours total at the point at sareoke beach, Lagundri Bay, Nias. Big swell has not arrived yet?

Internet is good along the coast of sumatra, Malaysia, Thailand. Wherever there is a mobile phone signal. Best to have a phone that can connect to your email, then you can check emails whilst sailing etc.

I buy a telkomsel usb modem, a sim card, for about 70 aud, then for 25 uad you get unlimited access to the net via the phone network for 2 months, prepaid. The net on the phone you just recharge the credit with prepaid vouchers. Net here at lagundri is slow, but reliable.

Net and phone access is very limited in the mentawis.

Good phone in the banyak, at bay of plenty, if you climb up a tree, called the tree of knowledge! Balance the laptop on the branch and email away!!!

Essential to have a heavy delta style anchor and 90 metres 10mm chain, and a very strong anchor winch. As you spend 95% of the time at anchor, and the wind often goes onshore and you need the best anchoring systems you can get. Seen so many yachts and charter boats drag anchors in the night, when it blows 50 knots, with blinding rain. And a good anchor alarm in your bunk! Then you can sleep soundly at night?

Interphase, sell reconditioned probe units for 800usd landed in aussie, I got one and I use it a lot. This is the forward looking sonar.

Never a worry about security, never lock the yacht, but dont leave boardies etc hanging over the rails at night, everything is tied down and the outboards are padlocked onto the rail mounts or in the dingy. Least of your worries here. Muslims are very honest?

The locals here at Lagundri Bay are some of the nicest surfers I have had the pleasure to surf with. Always welcoming, polite, offer you waves, hoot at you and shake your hand when you score a very good wave and ride it to the end. Lovely people!! Of course, I do the same with them, makes for a very postive surfing experience.

All the best Harvey, from Keith.
Old 04-09-2011, 16:39   #146

Thanks soo much keith you have inspired me to no end,
Happy doing the hard yards in cold Torquay now with a image of Nias in my mind,

Thanks again Harvey
Old 04-09-2011, 18:23   #147

Keith, with all those set waves before breakfast after breakfast and later in the day, you must be one of the fittest 60 year olds on the planet!

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 20:12   #148

Surfer girl, I am so fit it hurts!!

I sit out the back and go for the biggest waves and dont fall off when I catch one, makes it a lot easier when you are surfing on top of the waves, rather than checking out the crayfish underwater???

I dont/cant paddle for the close out barrel take offs, if a section pops up I will backdoor it. Ride a 7'5" round tail thruster, 4" thick, so paddles onto them real good, made it myself this Christams just gone. The locals, who all sit inside, give me a lot of leeway, wait for the second or third wave, put up my arm and look at them, they say "go poppa!", turn and paddle into it and then try and outpaddle the brazillians, whoeee!!!

Turn 61 tomorra mate!!! Got the heart of a 25 year old?

Fair winds from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stoiksys wave at zicatella1.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	31171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6918.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	31172  

Old 05-09-2011, 05:27   #149

Happy birthday from Bells Beach.
Have a bintang or two
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27   #150

Avast Harvey,
Gave up the demon booze 2 years ago!!

Got 2 nice big waves, no problems, but.....
Had to swim into the beach tonight, over the reef, string that ties the leggy to the board snapped, I took off on a huge wide mega bomb, and it shut down half way along, but there was 3 more bigger ones behind it, fuuuuuu####!!!!
So, swim in over the reef and negotiate with a fisherman who "rescued" my board, 100,000 rups, ok, tomorra, no, not ok, tonight, so a passing local surfer has to paddle back out to the dingy with me, come to boat, tries to hit me up for another 100,000, I say no and take him back to the reef and he paddles ashore with my 100,000, I dont think I have heard the end of this.

Last time, lost the board, cost me 500,000 rups to get it back, the next day!!!

Flamin, huge, perfect surf here today Harvey, getting bigger tomorra! absolute glass this arvo!!

All the best and thanks for the birthday wishes mate.

Keith, the humbled surfmachine?????

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: