Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 13:31   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
As many others have mentioned in this thread, the governments of the free world need to pursue coordinated action against the pirates. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

Perhaps fly a few of these:

into a few of these?

Then again, maybe not. Don't really want to get in the flying things into buildings racket. That's the kind of shifty stuff "Those People" do.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 19-02-2011, 13:55   #107

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
These poor people and their families must be going through hell at the moment. My heart goes out to all of them.
Our plans to fly to the Med, buy a boat and cruise back to Australia via the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans looks more and more attractive to me. While there are risks in any adventure, sailing through the Suez via the Indian Ocean seems to have reached tipping point.
What are the real risks though ? How many boats transited this year v's those that had piracy issues ?
Old 19-02-2011, 13:55   #108
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mata'irea View Post
Bill,
I was wondering if after you made the decision to take the northern route across the Indian if you continued to collect data about the activity South of the Seychelles. For crews that can not afford to ship their yachts into the Med and who fear the southernmost route, data about the activity around the top of Madagascar and in the Mozambique Channel would be quite useful. If you have charted that data, would you be willing to post it here?

Best,
Danika
Better still - add to the information already on the World Cruising Wiki - Indian Ocean section - South Africa section.
Old 19-02-2011, 14:32   #109

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sounds like a "curcumnavigation" of the Mediterranean is in order.
At the rate the world is going, yes.
Old 19-02-2011, 14:34   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
Sounds like bible thumpers to me. They got caught smuggling contraband (illegal goods).
Much as I dislike missionaries, they still didn't merit this, so I prefer to see them as sailors who made bad choices, like announcing their itinerary.
Old 19-02-2011, 14:46   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

So we as cruisers do need to be culturally sensitive. And perhaps there is a need to reinforce cultural sensitivites on this forum to folks planning their trips.

Lets hope it does not affect the negotiations. I doubt it will have any affect - they are just after money.
I agree, but I also think that people trying to hand out Bibles in the heart of Islam are thinking with their faith and not their brains. Cultural sensitivity includes pretty simple things like women wearing full-length skirts and men wearing long pants in certain countries, and not beach gear, knowing that some cultures find some gestures (like eating food with the left hand or displaying the soles of your feet) really insulting.

Certainly, when I see certain "newcomers" discharging wads of phlegm loudly onto the sidewalk in my city, I can identify.

Still doesn't buy them a kidnapping, but if they misjudged how distributing Bibles in the middle of the Arab world would go over, I have to wonder if they are expecting a rescue by Lt. Jesus of the Navy SEALS.
Old 19-02-2011, 14:50   #112
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Come on guy's... its not their fault... remember...
"The lord giveth... and the lord taketh away...."
There's a message there somewhere....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-02-2011, 14:53   #113

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Much as I dislike missionaries, they still didn't merit this, so I prefer to see them as sailors who made bad choices, like announcing their itinerary.

That's ridiculous.
Old 19-02-2011, 14:57   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
That pretty much sums up this thread I'd say. It's closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
yacht