Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 10:19   #76
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
There is a "safe corridor" supposedly patrolled by navies. Were they in it?
No there were not in the IRTC as they were still heading towards it. They next stop was Salalah, Oman where people normally form close convoys for the run to the red sea. However they were NOT going to use the IRTC but hug the Yemini coastline - a manner that I have often and vehemently opposed in posts on this forum.

Their website has a planned route (see below) from their website.

The area where they were attacked I have also previously posted as being dangerous in many posts since we went through just under 12 months ago.

Further reading: My website Somalia Pirate Attacks and our Conovy. Wittnessing a Pirate Attack in the Gulf of Aden near the Red Sea 2010
Advising the route across the Indian Ocean to Salalah is dangerous: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/we-made-it-safe-from-pirates-4-500nm-passage-in-two-legs-37622.html Post 36
Advising the route across the Indian Ocean to Salalah is dangerous: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fer-41505.html Posts 1 5 and 9
Yemen Coast Line unsafe and Al Al Mukalla is a pirate supply base but still visited by cruisers. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...map-49624.html Post 2

So, Pullllease, its not a new thing or a 2011 thing. People have been forwarned for ages.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IndianOcean.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	23955  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 19-02-2011, 10:23   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Thinking before posting

If you are hoping this thread will stay open, I would suggest giving your post a read before hitting the submit button then asking yourself if the language of your post is inflammatory in nature. Need I remind you we take the "Be nice" rule very seriously.

These pirate threads have a way of getting out of hand.

* this wasn't aimed at Mark ... our posts crossed path in the night.

Old 19-02-2011, 10:30   #78

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
I wonder if "Quest" was a documented vessel?
Sorry for my

Can you explain this term ? Is it the same as in the UK Part 1 registry i.e. a legally owned vessel, rather (again UK term) a Part 3 (sometimes called Small Ships Register).

Thanks

Tim
Old 19-02-2011, 10:39   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Nick do you know a single foreign cruiser who has been kidnapped in South Africa? As I said we have never heard of one.
I'm not sure why it has to be a cruiser? Do you really think kidnappers in SA actually avoid cruisers? Why would they, when Somalia shows it's good business?

cheers,
Nick.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:48   #80

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

Yes, St Helena is one of out all time favorite stops.

I sound like I am on the SA tourism board, but I really remember it as a special place and the weather was just not that tough (we were in a 37'er).

Below is a snip from the January pilot chart, so you can see the easterly component to the wind. You can also see the current is behind/helping you.
Well, thanks for the tip, Evans. Maybe I'll save the Med for its own trip...because I'd need the money from the book I write about the circ!

Speaking of scribbling, your missus wrote an excellent book, by the way. Next to the Nigel who wrote about the metal corrosion in boats and the other Nigel who wrote about engines and electrics (what is it with "Nigels"?), Ms. Leonard clear-eyed account really gets a handle (for me, at least) on how it's done and what it's likely to cost to get the gear and experience you need to stay on your course and off the rocks.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:49   #81

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Documented is generally the term used when a US vessal registers with the US Coast Guard.

The Navy Seals are in the area. So to are other countries Navys and private contractors. The 5th fleet is just around the corner in the Persian Gulf.
All are activally at war with the pirates.
The main problem, IMO, is that business interest within countries that boarder the region are allowed, with their Governments blessing, to offer rewards to pirates for revenue producing product.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:49   #82

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
sailing though Muslin waters giving away Bibles. what else is there to say!

I never cottoned to sailing through muslin waters. It just seemed dacron somehow.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:58   #83

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
From the Huffington Post

The pirates from Puntland are not hardline Islamists and the fact the Adams carry Bibles is not likely to be a problem. Pirates in Puntland are known to spend their ransom spoils on alcohol, drugs and prostitutes.

Sound like good old boys to me.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:59   #84

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. SV Quest spent some time berthed in our club marina in KeriKeri a couple years ago during one of their stays here in New Zealand. Drummond Island, Michigan was the home port on the stern at that time. I have not looked yet in the USCG documenttion database to see if the vessel is listed.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:12   #85

1. Advertise your destination.
2. Advertise your intended route.
3. Advertise your Bible mission.

4. Place target squarely in the middle of your back.

What was expected to happen? If one desired to spend time with Somali pirates, then I'd suggest this was the most efficient means to do it. We can't be protected from ourselves.

Sad, but really - WTF were they thinking???
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 19-02-2011, 11:13   #86

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Well, "dying to get into the Med" is probably an unfortunate phrase, but yes, most of the Med places I wish to take the boat and family are in Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, Turkey and Greece, so coming in at the western end was not the plan.
Sounds like a "curcumnavigation" of the Mediterranean is in order.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:19   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
Somalia is not in "SOUTH" Africa.Look on a map.
We know. We are discussing the possibility of an alternative route via S Africa. We don't really need to look at a map since we have acutally BEEN there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

Well, thanks for the tip, Evans. Maybe I'll save the Med for its own trip...because I'd need the money from the book I write about the circ!

Speaking of scribbling, your missus wrote an excellent book,
Thanks.

Quite honestly on our first time around I simply got a really big kick out of rounding a 'Great Cape'. We did it at sunset and there was a magnificent rosy red light on the cliffs and seals playing in our bow. One of those special moments.

I do understand the appeal of the Med. I actually have going into the Med (from the west) and down the Red sea as something I am interested in for our next big trip. I am hoping the Chinese get fed up with pirate situation across one of their key supply lines and clean it up by the time we get there.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:20   #88

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Documented is generally the term used when a US vessal registers with the US Coast Guard.
There are currently 131 USCG documented vessels named "Quest."
Old 19-02-2011, 11:21   #89
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
From the Huffington Post

The pirates from Puntland are not hardline Islamists and the fact the Adams carry Bibles is not likely to be a problem. Pirates in Puntland are known to spend their ransom spoils on alcohol, drugs and prostitutes.

Sound like good old boys to me.
If folk want to donate I will be willing to organise a collection - just send a PM to the usual address

I will leave another to collect more bibles.........
Old 19-02-2011, 11:53   #90
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Here is the post I was looking for showing the route from India/Thailand to Oman (ie before the Gulf of Aden) is dangerous.

Look at the Live Piracy Map in that post (attached below and see that there were many attacks in that area last year. the only ones that have dropped off are the attacks inside the IRTC.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post538176
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	23960  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht