Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 02:19   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: SE Asia to the Med via Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea

Check out piracy gulf of Aden thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=146383

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 09:22   #17

Boat: Bavaria39

I am planning to leave Masawa Eritrea where my 40 ft monohull cruising yacht is currently moored, in mid Sept 2016. After the gulf of Aden I plan to circumvent the designated high risk area in the Somalia basin and then heading down to the Seychelles.Is there any advice which can be offered in sailing in this area other than linking to MSCHOA.
Any other yacht which might be taking this route at a similar time?
Ric Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 06:32   #18

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Burns View Post
I am planning to leave Masawa Eritrea where my 40 ft monohull cruising yacht is currently moored, in mid Sept 2016. After the gulf of Aden I plan to circumvent the designated high risk area in the Somalia basin and then heading down to the Seychelles.Is there any advice which can be offered in sailing in this area other than linking to MSCHOA.
Any other yacht which might be taking this route at a similar time?
Sorry maybe I'm not reading this properly but the title says "SE Asia to the Med via Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea". Why are you heading to the Seychelles the Med is surely the other way?

One confused person!
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 01:42   #19

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
Sorry maybe I'm not reading this properly but the title says "SE Asia to the Med via Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea". Why are you heading to the Seychelles the Med is surely the other way?

One confused person!
If only I had read it properly. You have drifted the thread ever so slightly. Sorry.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 06:42   #20

Boat: Beneteau 456cs

SE Asia to the Med via Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea
Hi,
I'm looking for any information on conveys Thailand to the med via gulf of Aden.
Can join India.
Dept Jan 2017
Thanks
Stephen
Kyanparsons@gmail.com
Stephens dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:42   #21

I would like to add to this thread, Our boat was stranded in Massawa for three months owing to a number of sinario's I stopped there for a change of crew as the crew I had couldn't carry on. Please all check dates and holidays carefully before reaching Eritrea. It was their independence celebrations and nothing happens during that time. My new crews visas were refused for no reason. I sat in the Port at over 40 degree for nearly a month not a nice experience. I became sick and had to return home, the winds had changed and I was fortunate enough to be able to moor my boat safely near the hotel but had to get military permission to even move her,
Luckily I returned to the boat last week to find her in good condition, Again getting visas for my self and the crew member took time but beware flying into Asmara to collect the boat I still needed a travel permit within the country, I was out of the Port in two days,
There are some fantastic people there but their hands are tied,
Also beware no credit cards and fuel is ridiculously expensive.
Old 28-09-2016, 12:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post

One confused person!
Sorry to confuse you but which ever way you go you still have to register with MSCHOA.
Old 29-09-2016, 20:43   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I would agree about going the South Africa route. We found the sail from Bali to Mauritius was incredible. It is a battle from there to Richards Bay but once you are in SA it is not hard to get to Cape Town so long as you listen to the weather forecasts. We loved SA and went to game parks and into Lesotho for three weeks - a terrific experience. Enjoyed Namibia and loved St Helena - one of our favourite spots. Could do without Ascension but it breaks the trip. We did not stop in Fernando de Noronha as friends set it was not pleasant and pricey.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:26   #24

Boat: sunmagic44

We sailed that route,stopping at Socotra,Eritrea,Sudan,Egypt this March/April,2016.We were in loose contact with about nine other yachts and no boats had any problems to report.Check out our blog 'latagh456'
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
davehen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia