Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 11:57   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Pirate threat diminishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
[QUOTEthe entrepreneurial private sector will continue to be the most dynamic contributor to economic growth."]
Hmm... that sounds like a description of, well, piracy as practiced in Somalia!!

Hope that the trend is maintained...

Jim[/QUOTE]

Perhaps there is some sort of law of economics like that of physics wherein "Energy cannot be created nor destroyed just transformed."
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:11   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Thanks Gord. A good article.
Yes, lets hope its over. But I won't be visiting that scum part of the world again.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 16:51   #18

If this thread is still current ... Ivory Moon came through the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean this September and October (2016). Our stops after Port Suez were Port Ghalib, Djibouti, Salalah Oman, Uligan Maldives, Galle Sri Lanka and now we are in Malaysia. We were a bit unnerved by a small boat offering us a fish off the coast in Yemen in the Red Sea, but it was innocent after all and the only pirates we saw were those on land in Egypt!

We reported as often as we could to MSCHOA and UKMTO and were observed by the Combined Maritime Forces including air forces. We had an overflight from a Japanese plane every day in the Gulf of Aden. We heard the Saudi Arabian and US coalition ships along the coast of Yemen actively challenging shipping and small craft along that coast.

We chose this time because at the time we left, it was anticipated that 2016 would be the last year of the Combined Maritime Forces Combined Task Force. In fact we were told in Djibouti that its activities have been extended another 2 years. Its easy to imagine these extensions will go on.

Yes, I would think that the pirate threat in this area is well diminished.

Jeff
Ivory Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 06:10   #19

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Moon View Post
If this thread is still current ... Ivory Moon came through the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean this September and October (2016). Our stops after Port Suez were Port Ghalib, Djibouti, Salalah Oman, Uligan Maldives, Galle Sri Lanka and now we are in Malaysia.

Jeff
Can you explain why you sailed to Salalah before heading to Uligan. It seems to me that you went 800 miles North only to sail back again to Uligan.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 06:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
Can you explain why you sailed to Salalah before heading to Uligan. It seems to me that you went 800 miles North only to sail back again to Uligan.
He's going in the other direction

Suez Canal -> Red Sea -> Gulf of Aden -> Arabian Sea
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 08:39   #21

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
He's going in the other direction

Suez Canal -> Red Sea -> Gulf of Aden -> Arabian Sea
Sorry, but if you re-check his route it's from Suez Canal to Malaysia via Port Ghalib, Egypt then through the Red Sea to Djibouti. From there some 800 mile North through the Gulf of Aden to Salalah. From Salalah South East to Uligan, Maldives, then to Sri Lanka and finally on to Malaysia. That would be 0 to 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 on chart below. When he travels from Salalah (2) to Uligan (3) he is to some intent come back on himself. Why?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-01-31-16-31-09[1].jpg
Views:	188
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	140439
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 22:46   #22

Hi - I have not been on the public forum for most of this year, though I did reply to Albert by pm. Just to complete the thread, Salalah was a stop for fuel, after motor sailing most of the Gulf of Aden to minimise our exposure to risk.

Jeff
Ivory Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:47   #23

Boat: 32ft Golden Shamrock, Ron Holland Design heavenly modified. Bavaria 40ft
Send a message via Skype™ to emircedes

There is ALWAYS risk involved when sailing in those waters..
Last year I delivered a cat from Greece to the Maldives and in the gulf of aden there was an attack about 30nm away from us...we heard the commotion on the vhf....
It doesn't matter what noonsite or icc-ccs.org says regarding piracy... Attacks can happen anytime everywhere... Wether they are genuine pirate attacks, opportunists looking for valuables or simply fishermen claiming that you damaged their nets.....

I have delivered numerous boats from Europe via the Suez canal , Red Sea, Gulf of Aden to Dubai and the Maldives and from my experiences the risk is there... all the time, anytime, everywhere.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:07   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
I know that on Russian boating forums there are ads for armed merc hire for the trip or even for chartering in Seyshelles or Maldives. Usual hire for a regular charter (like Moorings and such) is two people with arms with one person on a lookout at all times. Though not everyone likes hiring them for a charter as their families don't feel comfortable having armed mercs live on the boat.
Really? Do you know of cases where people have hired mercs for a family charter?

Hey kids, I have a great idea for our next vacation! [emoji41]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:11   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

There is no armed guards on boats in the Seychelles. Absolutely not nessacary in the slightest. All charter boats are around Mahe, Praslin and La Digue. It's like saying you need armed guards to charter in the whitsundays Australia.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote