Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 02:52   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Leaving a Trimaran in langkawi permanently

Im going to buy a 70s Telstar Trimaran and drive it from the Uk to Malaysia on a Trailer it should take around 35 days taking it easy. They have recently opened up the Trilateral Highway between India and Thailand which makes this possible to do.
My plan is to then keep it moored in Langkawi full time and fly in and out as i want for a couple of months at a time.
I also want to cruise in the Gulf of Thailand so i could put it on a trailer and drive to the other side rather than go the long time consuming way round.
I wondered if anybody has experience of keeping a boat in Langkawi and could tell me the cheapest and best place to do this on long yearly rates.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 13:51   #2

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Re: Leaving a Trimaran in langkawi permanently

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmclaren1 View Post
Im going to buy a 70s Telstar Trimaran and drive it from the Uk to Malaysia on a Trailer it should take around 35 days taking it easy. They have recently opened up the Trilateral Highway between India and Thailand which makes this possible to do.
My plan is to then keep it moored in Langkawi full time and fly in and out as i want for a couple of months at a time.
I also want to cruise in the Gulf of Thailand so i could put it on a trailer and drive to the other side rather than go the long time consuming way round.
I wondered if anybody has experience of keeping a boat in Langkawi and could tell me the cheapest and best place to do this on long yearly rates.
I dont know the rates etc.. I am on my way slowly to Langkawi and spend a month or 2 there each year enroute to Australia to wait the EU winter out. Langkawi has 2 marinas and a 3rd on rebak island which is in swimming distance from the mainland but is a resort island with a yacht basin and hardstand attached to it. A lovely place but secluded. Sadly no cars on the island due to there being no roads. Did you end up driving there? Maybe Thailand would be a better option. Krabi lagoon has a nice fairly new marina which might be better access for your situation as the marina has a good hard standing available and you have all the islands available between Krabi and Phuket. Plus there will be more wind there.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 00:12   #3

Re: Leaving a Trimaran in langkawi permanently

Good advice from nautical nomad, but if you do go to Langkawi, check out the Marina at Rebac. It is rather remote and no car ferry there, but it's a good safe place for long term storage and rates are cheaper than the RLYC in Kuah by about 15%. Slip rates are MR 1.70 per foot. Not sure how they compute tris. Elec, water and wifi are reasonable. Wi fi is about $35 us per mo. Good luck.
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran