Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2018, 06:57   #31

Re: Island Visitor Killed by World's Most Isolated Tribe

Yes. I was thinking of the Darwin award but same thing. I'm sorry he had to die but you just can't fix stupid (and unnecessary).

They don't want any outside interaction so let them be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Think of it as Evolution in Action.
Old 22-11-2018, 07:09   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
I'm sorry he had to die but you just can't fix stupid....
I'm pretty positive than the natives fixed it
Old 22-11-2018, 07:27   #33

Boat: Sweden Yachts

Guys!
This man probably has family and friends in distress and grief at the moment. I fail to understand how labeling a person none of us know as an idiot and so on contributes to anything constructive. Non of us know his emotional state of mind. He might have been totally brain washed, he might have been a religious fanatic or just a very naive guy with a strong will to “help”. He also might have been a mental patient for all I know. Either way, the guy is dead. Killed by tribe members who felt the need to protect themselves from an intruder. It’s a tragedy for all parts. I just don’t see anything entertaining in this story at all.

The guy is no longer around to enlighten us with the motives for his actions. Either way, it’s a personal tragedy.

He never hurt me. Unless he did something unforgivable to you personally, I think it’s time for us to be the bigger person, use our dignity and get back on track. I have come to
know most of you as eloquent and knowledgeable members discussing boat related topics. Let’s give this guy a break shall we?
Back to constructive boat related discussions, please.

For some strange reason I’ve been out sailing today. It’s -3 C/27 F In Oslo at the moment.. The sun just set, I just dropped the hook for the night, just to find out I’m out of coffee. Plenty of food, but no coffee.! Even though I don’t care for labeling people as idiots, I have to admit I’m probably the only idiot sailing the Oslo fiord today.

Fair winds fellow cruisers!

kjetil
Old 22-11-2018, 07:56   #34

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bliss- View Post
Guys!
This man probably has family and friends in distress and grief at the moment. I fail to understand how labeling a person none of us know as an idiot and so on contributes to anything constructive. Non of us know his emotional state of mind. He might have been totally brain washed, he might have been a religious fanatic or just a very naive guy with a strong will to “help”. He also might have been a mental patient for all I know. Either way, the guy is dead. Killed by tribe members who felt the need to protect themselves from an intruder. It’s a tragedy for all parts. I just don’t see anything entertaining in this story at all.

The guy is no longer around to enlighten us with the motives for his actions. Either way, it’s a personal tragedy.

He never hurt me. Unless he did something unforgivable to you personally, I think it’s time for us to be the bigger person, use our dignity and get back on track. I have come to
know most of you as eloquent and knowledgeable members discussing boat related topics. Let’s give this guy a break shall we?

For some strange reason I’ve been out sailing today. It’s -3 C/27 F In Oslo at the moment.. The sun just set, I just dropped the hook for the night, just to find out I’m out of coffee. Plenty of food, but no coffee.! Even though I don’t care for labeling people as idiots, I have to admit I’m probably the only idiot sailing the Oslo fiord today.

kjetil
Thank you, kjetil, for articulating what bothers me about these tragic threads. The general interest is in learning about what happened so that it might serve as a lesson for the rest of us (I'm thinking sailing accidents, specifically), but these do often devolve to personal attacks on the individual(s), which is unfortunate and doesn't reflect well on us.

As to your situation, you seem smarter than the average bear. Too bad to hear about the lack of coffee and the cold weather, but it sounds like you still had a darn nice day
Old 22-11-2018, 08:11   #35
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. The guy is no longer around to enlighten us with the motives for his actions. Either way, it’s a personal tragedy.
A personal tragedy indeed, but self induced and caused by stupidity.
This thread may not be to ridicule but rather to learn from.
Old 22-11-2018, 09:17   #36

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I can not even summon up sympathy for him. Why can not "missionaries" understand that some folks just do not want to be converted, saved, or made better by outside intervention, and are willing to defend their position with deadly force?

Jim

Score one for the pagans for a change. Or, were this darts, a triple 20.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 22-11-2018, 09:21   #37

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bliss- View Post
Guys!

kjetil

You must have great faith indeed to be sailing off Oslo today, but I'll wager you wouldn't have gone preaching to "We Kill All Strangers" Island after being told not to.

I live in Canada. Our native population is still dealing with the missionary abuses of nearly four hundred years. My sympathies will never be with missionaries as I consider them a force for evil, not good. I expect to have my biases confirmed in the South Pacific, where several distinct and interesting cultures have been destroyed by the heartfelt work of missionaries imposing foreign values and beliefs on people who had perfectly good ones to start with.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 22-11-2018, 09:33   #38

Boat: Grumman 17, Catalina 22

WOW! Only two members that understand this young man had a family and was loved, a sad bunch the rest. -bliss- & gamayun thanks for being a beacon in the darkness.
Old 22-11-2018, 09:35   #39

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Agreed! I have heard recent research proving that stupidity is highly contagious
Then they can ecpect more visitors.lucky there isnt oil or mineral wealth on the island or they would all be dead by now.
Old 22-11-2018, 10:18   #40

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
... The general interest is in learning about what happened so that it might serve as a lesson for the rest of us (I'm thinking sailing accidents, specifically) ...
There's a very important lesson here. When preparing passage plans to visit another country be thorough. There are many places in the world you can't just sail in to a pleasant looking bay, drop the pick and row ashore.

And there are many islands that have nil or restricted access. And I can't think of any countries that allow you to miss Customs/Immigration clearance. Half of friendly Fiji is forbidden, and at the other end of the scale let's not ignore the entire coasts of North Korea and Saudi Arabia. What landing rights does one enjoy along the coast of Russia I wonder? If I wanted to sail the North East Passage I'd certainly check that out.

When you travel to foreign countries you have to adhere to their laws and if you don't there can be very serious consequences. Even in New Zealand we have many many islands that people aren't allowed to visit and sea reserves you can't fish. And the penalties are severe including prison, fines and usually confiscation the boat.
Old 22-11-2018, 10:24   #41
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavereater View Post
WOW! Only two members that understand this young man had a family and was loved,
I'm sure we ALL understand that.

But, it isn't important to the overriding fact that this idiot decided to basically go out of his way to get killed. Maybe his loving family should have kept better track of him.
Old 22-11-2018, 10:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Darwinism 1 Creationism 0
Old 22-11-2018, 10:37   #43

It’s easy to make fun of what appears as foolishness. Because he went back three times despite knowing the danger he clearly felt the need to share his faith. I applaud him and wish I had the courage to share my beliefs despite personal risk.
Old 22-11-2018, 10:48   #44

Boat: Navigator Classic 50

Perhaps he will get nominated for a Darwin award!!
Old 22-11-2018, 10:49   #45

"Just to be clear, these people have a right to defend their border?"

++++++++++++

Just like the US has a right to defend its border! Hey, wait a minute .... Maybe they don't have a right to defend their border.

Now i'm wondering, why do we even need visas? Shouldn't the world be borderless?
Closed Thread

Tags
rib