Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 11:26   #1

Interesting perspective on Somali pirates

Fom The Huffington Post.

Jack
Old 06-01-2009, 11:44   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Good Artical

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:59   #3

Boat: Mutineer 15
Next time my neighbors dog does its business in my yard can I kidnap his children and ransom then back He is arranging the dumping toxic waste on my land. I don't eat the grass but but I would like to have the option. seriously though that was an interesting article and adds much needed context to the issue that we have been hearing about.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Which concludes:

“... The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor." Once again, our great imperial fleets sail in today - but who is the robber?”

Old 06-01-2009, 13:27   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wampler View Post
Next time my neighbors dog does its business in my yard can I kidnap his children and ransom then back .
Yes, I agree. This article appears to be another one: Blame it on middle America / western countries.

Do a Google search and see some way-out 'news' services that are reporting this. JihadChat is a good one. Somalia radiation sickness - Google Search=

From the London Times:
"Local warlords, many of them former ministers in Siad Barre’s last government, received large payments from Swiss and Italian firms for access to their respective fiefdoms. "
Somalia's secret dumps of toxic waste washed ashore by tsunami - Times Online
So before you blame the western world shove the responsibility for corruption back where it belongs: With the Somali's. Or as somewhere is written: Reap what you sow.

Pirates are criminal dogs and should have law put upon them.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-01-2009, 13:36   #6

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
MarkJ. I totally agree with you.

Paul
Old 06-01-2009, 13:44   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Thumbs down No Cheese Down this Hole

I can see no useful purpose to the CF Community in JackDale's post or additional responses. Such posts are merely antagonistic and increase the BS Coefficient of this Forum to no good end. If people wish to discuss/theorize/debate such matters there are social/political forums for that purpose and I encourage those that wish to pursue such issues to go there.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 06-01-2009, 13:54   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
HyLyte, I would argue that jackdale's post was merely a link to information. The only antagonistic posts I see here were from wampler, Mark and yourself. IMHO of course.

I do however agree that further debate or response is uncalled for...<gr>
Old 06-01-2009, 14:00   #9

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I'm sorry but I don't buy this story that Europe or the US dumped nuclear waste in water so shallow as to wash up on shore somewhere. Sounds a lot like the stories of the US introducing the AIDES virus to Africa .

If we (or anyone else) did dump nuclear waste in the ocean....which we don't, why would we drag it all the way to Somalia to do it?

Let's use a little common sense here. Some of us here have been to Africa and see the way that they deal with waste.....How was your last business letter from Nigeria,,,offering you millions to laundry their phony cashiers chaeck......I'm sorry but that is the way that those countries do business. It is NOT the way that the western world does business (speaking of dumping waste).
Old 06-01-2009, 14:22   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The only antagonistic posts I see here were from ....Mark ....
Ummm can you put me in the debative catagory please?

We are sailing up the Red Sea next year and Somalia and its problems are of critical interest to us. Granted the whose fault is it doesn't have anthing to do with how hard the sheets are on, but that whole part of the trip ain't about the sailing, its about getting through some dangerous waters.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-01-2009, 15:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ummm can you put me in the debative catagory please?

We are sailing up the Red Sea next year and Somalia and its problems are of critical interest to us. Granted the whose fault is it doesn't have anthing to do with how hard the sheets are on, but that whole part of the trip ain't about the sailing, its about getting through some dangerous waters.

Mark
Mark....If I were you, I'd turn left. There are some fun places to visit in the Indian Ocean and So Africa is a beautiful place to visit. Going around Cape of Good Hope is one heck of a lot easier than going up the Red Sea. That can be one crappy passage. That's the 1st and only time that our boat filled up with sand, 30 miles out at sea.

The pirate thing......it's not funny. As I have posted before, pirates tried to board us in 1996, 200 miles South of Bali. Another yacht, following a day or two behind was boarded and the wife was shot dead (she pulled out a gun).

I'm not trying to scare you.....................yes I am.....I have to be honest. I wouldn't sail those waters these days.
Old 06-01-2009, 16:02   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The problem with most modern crime situations is that the motive becomes the defense.

Somali fishermen cannot earn a living
Somalia has a broken society
Outside people allegedly are dumping waste (toxic or otherwise) in Somali waters

Therefore I am justified in taking ships and property that doesn't belong to me and in the process harming innocent people.

The versailles treaty was unfair, therefore I will start a world war and annihilate 20-30 million people.

Sorry - Not a defense.

The somali pirates would be better off organizing, overthrowing their warlord leaders and building a new society.
Old 06-01-2009, 17:29   #13

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Skip the Red Sea. Why why why would you put up with it?
Old 06-01-2009, 18:07   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Interesting corollaries.
Old 06-01-2009, 18:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Interesting corollaries.
You weren't supposed to eat it.....
Closed Thread