Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:00   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_ellison View Post
Just spoke with the manufacturer of this : WatchStander# at the Annapolis boatshow.

This is a military technology already sold to DoD that they are trying to downscale and bring to the commercial market.

This thing has a 12 million candle power bulb which can be focussed to a 1 degree spot then strobed at a rate and duty cycle especialy chosen to disrupt the senses of an attacker. Even on one of the brightest days here for weeks, the demo was quite impressive.

They have an even brighter model and one which can automatically lock on to radar targets, in case anyone complains, which is doubtful.

Don't get carried away though .... you are looking at $20K+ ! They do have a hand held version but even that is ~$5K.

Duncan
Backed up with a 50 caliber swivel gun, that would be just the ticket.

Phase 1: Extremely loud warning over focussed loudhailer in Somali to not a approach or be fired on.

Phase 2: Blinding laser or strobe or whatever that thing is.

Phase 3: Blow them out of the water with the 50 cal.

Make high resolution videos to document that you were threatened with weapons and that you gave proper warnings.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39   #92
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
, its merely a response to the armchair "dont go there" responses.
Sometimes risk analysis from afar is less emotional. Someone sitting the other side of the world thinking is it worth it to lose ones whole cruising life as opposed to losing a month or two of that life?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:42   #93

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
I think the don't go there response is really the only reliable answer to the question posed.

There are other ways to try to minimize risk, but there's only one way to avoid it - don't go.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33   #94
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post

There are other ways to try to minimize risk, but there's only one way to avoid it - don't go.
Agreed.

One part where we tried to minimise the risk was on the way to Salalah from thailand.

See the map below. Its shoing a red line from the maldives to Salalah over the confirmed attacks for 2010 from Live Piracy Map

I was worried that the area on the route had too many attcaks and decided to go 150nms north east of a mid point there.

Remember the transit from the Maldives or thailand to Salalah is without a convoy - its too far! Convoys are brought together in Salalah to aden. (Look at the number of attacks from Aden into the Redf Sea!!). So a yacht is by itself along that red line.

The convoys of other unarmed yachts go in the area of the brown line.

And then its by yourself again for the yellow line for Aden into the Red Sea. Look at the number of attacks from Aden into the Redf Sea!! Compare that with last year when the Red Sea was much less active.

So the danger area is quite a long way.

The last part of minimizing risk is to have all the imformation possable to make informed choices.
I'm just trying to help with some of the information thats available. People can then go make their own personal choice.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	20023  

Old 11-10-2010, 08:46   #95

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
I rather suspect there will be more attacks on yachts before it gets better.

It seems the merchant fleets of the world are starting to take this seriously. They're talking about armed guards, and private navies and the like. Also many of the worlds goverments are taking it seriously, sending larger and larger fleets to correct any pirate attacks.

All that says to me is that the pirates are going to be looking for "softer" game. A decent yacht probably isn't worth the multi-millon dollar pay out ransoming a merchant ship might be, but if they could catch enough of them, it's probably worth their time.

Eh, it's alought of specualtion on my part. Good luck to all.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56   #96

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
As much as Mark may have survived the experience, I've taken to heart his message. Just don't go there. Time and distance isn't really a problem for cruisers, West coast of Australia, Reunion, the Cape, Brazil then the Med, tis all do-able.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23   #97

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Seriously Mark, would you have gone around the outside to get into teh Med, ...
Seriously, Dave, I wouldn't attempt a circumnavigation in a mere boat. I don't think it is enough more safe than in Magellan's time, and he didn't make it although his historian did. And they carried cannon then.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:46   #98

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
yeah..we gotta widget does that with voice...you can talk to a guy a hundred yards away...like that guy on watch three piers over with his hands in his uniform pockets..."Sailor, This is god speaking..take your hands out of your pockets and stand a proper watch.." Done in the James Earl Jones voice...

Priceless.

If you yell into it however...ouch. it does "other" things too..
That is the one I want.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02   #99

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
RING-RING
"This is 911. What is your emergency"
"I heard a noise and I think there is a prowler in my yard who is going to try and break in."
"I am sorry sir. All of our squad cars are busy right now and it's not clear that there is a crime in progress. "

CLICK

RING-RING
"This is 911. What is your emergency."
"I just shot a man in my yard who I think is a prowler."

5 minutes later 3 squad cars and an ambulance arrive and the police catch a man at the window trying to jimmy the lock."

Policeman - "You said you shot the prowler."
Homeowner - "You said you didn't have any squad cars available."
This is SOOOOOO funny - I really enjoyed it ...... VERY true to South Africa as well
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:08   #100
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
Why dosen't someone run an overland Yacht haulier service from Kuwait to Jordan?

The pro's :It would totally bypass the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea , the Somali Pirates and the Suez Officials.

The cons: No Cape red
It is totally possible to ship your boat overland on the ARabian peninsular. If you are serious, start by contacting Jassem Transport, who's General Manager is a yachtsman, and he has moved a lot of **** between these countries.

If you were local, you'd just cut out the middle man, and rent a driver and truck yourself!!

You'd need to have a cradle made locally, of course, but that is affordable here.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:15   #101

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
As a profwssional Seaman I will only say this:
Anyone who sails anywhere near a known pirate area is a FOOl and I dont beleive that any Government or family should pay a cent to get you out of the trouble you could of avoided.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 15:58   #102
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
so Mark, given all your views, why did YOU sail through that area. (on a convoy whose route you felt was idiotic)

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 23:21   #103

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
As a profwssional Seaman I will only say this:
Anyone who sails anywhere near a known pirate area is a FOOl and I dont beleive that any Government or family should pay a cent to get you out of the trouble you could of avoided.
OK, do you apply the same rules to driving on a highway that has had many accidents, or driving through a neighborhood that has had thefts and assaults? If you apply these rules to driving, you will not be going anywhere.

Bill
s/v BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:12   #104
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post

Bill
s/v BeBe
Hi Bill,

I see next year theres a convoy heading along the Yemeni coast and stopping at Al Mukalla.
You are aware that coalition warships are not allowed to go inside Yemini Territorial waters?
Also we had some trouble with the Yemeni Coast Guard wanting to board boats at sea. They were not understanding of the convoy at all.

If you are going in convoy it would be good to clarify the details now as people seem to get their miinds set.

Phone calls to UKMTO will confirm +971505523215 the Navy position.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:13   #105

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As to whether you do the Red Sea route to the Med or the South Africa to Carib then back to the Med is all a matter of risk analysis which has been discussed in other threads. Risk analysis is a really personal thing as only you can know what the difference in time and costs means to you and your plans.
- - Not being able to go reasonably "straight/direct" to your next destination is enough of a problem with sailboats without having to divert around a whole continent or two. So the personal pressure to transit "risky" areas versus diverting for months or a year is understandable. Add in the perpetual trait of hope and "it only happens to the other guy" attitude and you will understand why so many still travel the Red Sea route.
- - If you are really set on getting to the Med from the Indian Ocean and you have the finances, the safest way is to ship your boat on a container ship and fly to meet it at the first appropriate port in the Med. WAG it at about US$20K but that is a lot cheaper than the US$1Mil as a hostage or having relatives collect your life insurance.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote