Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 06:14   #31

either stay away or sail in the company of larger more expensive looking vessels.

It's like swimming with sharks,, you don't need to be able to swim faster than the shark, just faster than your swimming buddy...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 06:47   #32

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I just (finally) put my piece on our Gulf of Aden transit on the website.

If you have a moment to have a look I'd be pleased. Some of the photos take a while to ,load. I am not sure they are all there etc.

http://ourlifeatsea.com/pirates.html

Mark
Mark, Just read the post on your website. Thank you for sharing your experience. It scared the 'you know what' out of me! Glad you and Nic made it through without harm.

In one of the photos a boat had red canvas along the railing. It 'looked' like a mounted machine gun pointing out the back, but surely not?...

Kitty
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:28   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
I just (finally) put my piece on our Gulf of Aden transit on the website.

If you have a moment to have a look I'd be pleased. Some of the photos take a while to ,load. I am not sure they are all there etc.

http://ourlifeatsea.com/pirates.html

Mark
Thanks Mark. A good read and informative.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 09:50   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post

In one of the photos a boat had red canvas along the railing. It 'looked' like a mounted machine gun pointing out the back, but surely not?...

Kitty

Did you notice that photo was directly under this paragraph?
"Yachts can be defended. Our defences were just enough to make obvious to pirates we were not the easiest catch in the fleet. I won’t detail them, enough said that a terrified blank mind is wonderfully creative."

He's a legend in my mind. Not only did he have that foresight but backed it with action too. When the first Skiff had finished with us it went and harassed the smallest boat in the Convoy. I turned around and went back to help. Bryce on Silver Fern saw me turn and he put the thunder of his huge engine and had caught me up within moments. Together we ran at the skiff and then shepherded the smaller boat back to the Convoy. Not a moment too soon either as the skiff had somehow managed to stop the smaller boat. The woman onboard had a face that appeared rather relieved.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 13:27   #35

Great post Mark. Love those photos. I swear that one guy looks like he is holding an RPG. Those Somalis were definitely "sorting the herd" as wolves do with elk herds. They look for the weak one, get it away from the rest of the herd, and then pounce.

This thread may have saved my life. I think that I might just head back across the Atlantic with ARC and then head for the South Pacific via the Panama Canal after a summer in the Med.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 14:32   #36

Location: Temporarily in Iraq. My home is in Michigan. My mind is in the Caribbean.
I have spent 2 years in a combat zone with the US Army. But, I would not put myself in a position where I had to worry about Somali pirates where I am armed with only a flare gun(s). I agree with Ex-Calif, a 1% chance is not worth your life.
MAJ_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 14:45   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
markj-thankyou for sharing--wow---i dont know about going over that part of the world--mebbe if i make an error with my charts--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 15:01   #38

There's a good article here
Tiptoe Through the Pirates - Cruising World
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 18:20   #39

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulfborealis View Post

If you are going around the world, is there a way to avoid this problem?

I don't want to go around Cape Horn.
Cape of Good Hope perhaps?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:51   #40

Quote:
Did you notice that photo was directly under this paragraph?
"Yachts can be defended. Our defences were just enough to make obvious to pirates we were not the easiest catch in the fleet. I won’t detail them, enough said that a terrified blank mind is wonderfully creative."

He's a legend in my mind. Not only did he have that foresight but backed it with action too. When the first Skiff had finished with us it went and harassed the smallest boat in the Convoy. I turned around and went back to help. Bryce on Silver Fern saw me turn and he put the thunder of his huge engine and had caught me up within moments. Together we ran at the skiff and then shepherded the smaller boat back to the Convoy. Not a moment too soon either as the skiff had somehow managed to stop the smaller boat. The woman onboard had a face that appeared rather relieved.

Mark

MarkJ,

If we ever pass that way (not likely!) then I want you guys with us! I've got several ideas for 'guerilla' weapons. Not sure if they're practical (on a boat) or useful (against guns), but my mind is also very sneaky. I agree you never want to look like the weakest animal in the herd.

Glad you all made it through. Also very glad your solo crossing went well. Sounds like you'll be in the Canaries for awhile. Enjoy!

K
Old 29-09-2010, 11:18   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
I was thinking about ways to fend them off if you were ever in that situation. I'd prefer to avoid it completely myself - I figure why take the chance.

Anyway, what about a molotov cocktail? Have some prepared and if a skiff comes close and you feel threatened, toss a few into their boat

Perhaps it will ignite their fuel supply. Perhaps they will catch on fire. Perhaps they'll be so busy trying to put it out..etc that you can get away. The only other perhaps is that they put it out quick an start shooting at you.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 13:11   #42
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Anyway, what about a molotov cocktail? Have some prepared and if a skiff comes close and you feel threatened, toss a few into their boat

Far to inaccurate and the glass needs to break.

There is something else on your boat right now that you could use as a subsitute that would be vastly more effective.

Think.

Thats what I mean. When you think about it there is lots of things.

If you think about it before you leave Asia then theres lots of shops to help you out.

That 'machine gun' in the photo we were talking about a few posts ago.... thats just a few bits of plastic tube cut and painted.
Looks real enough just to momentarily make the pirates think another boat is a better target. Thats all you want.

Old 29-09-2010, 13:14   #43

I'm wondering how hard it would be to rig up a flame thrower from your fuel supply...
Old 29-09-2010, 13:23   #44
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
I'm wondering how hard it would be to rig up a flame thrower from your fuel supply...
Diesel doesnt work in flame throwers. Its petrol (gasoline) and a gell mixed. (I believe the substance mixed in the petrol is (was) made by a multinational corporation that is synonymous with baby care products - but I could be wrong

You can add a little oil if you want it to stick better.

Old 29-09-2010, 14:20   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i like propane stoves and large tanks. i guess small ones might work better.... dunno--never tried all the twists in my bain....
i dont want to sail around the world.
i want to sail in some nice warm water after i find it...catch fishies and sail a lot.... travel a bit.... i am not presumptuous..... then there was gentlemen never sail to weather--inadvertant trip around the globe--backwards..LOL....
but i never had a desire to see the other side of africa......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote