Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2008, 03:58   #1

Flotilla: Red Sea to Seychelles

We will be sailing eastward through the "pirate stretch" towards the end of November 2008 and would be interested in forming a flotilla with other yachts. If you are doing something similar at a similar time, please contact me: yonatanpreminger (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk
Thanks,
Yonatan
yonatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 02:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
GULF OF ADEN SUGGESTED WAY POINTS FOR TRANSIT

GULF OF ADEN
SUGGESTED WAY POINTS FOR TRANSIT

Goto:
MARAD - Welcome to U.S. Maritime Administration

In a notice to mariners received from Sean T. Connaughton of the US Maritime Administration (MARAD), suggested waypoints are given for vessels wanting to transit the area, as follows:

* 1. This MARAD advisory provides suggested waypoints for commercial vessels to transit the Gulf of Aden.

* 2. Marlo Bahrain sent a message on August 25th which stated that the Commander, U.S. Naval Central Command has directed the establishment of a Maritime Security Patrol Area (MSPA) in the Gulf of Aden.

* 3. FURTHERMORE, A force of Coalition Navy warships will patrol the AREA, and aircraft will fly in the airspace above. Commodore Bob Davidson (Canadian Navy), commander Combined Task Force 150, will command naval forces in the patrol area. The MSPA is being established in support of the International Maritime Organization's (IMO) ongoing efforts. Coalition actions will give the IMO time to work international preventative efforts that will ultimately lead to a long-term solution. Coalition ships are in the area as part of our continual presence in this region. While they have conducted routine operations in the area in the past, the establishment of the MSPA will focus the efforts to counter destabilizing activities in the region and improve security while long-term initiatives mature.

* 4. Coordinates of suggested corridor through the Gulf of Aden:

Waypoint: 12 15N 045E

Waypoint: 12 35N 045E

Waypoint: 13 35N 049E

Waypoint: 13 40N 049E

Waypoint: 14 10N 050E

Waypoint: 14 15N 050E

Waypoint: 14 35N 053E

Waypoint: 14 45N 053E

* 5. Marlo Bahrain may be contacted at +973-3940-1395 or email: marlo.bahrain@me.navy.mil for regional information.

* 6. For further information regarding this advisory, contact:

Mr. Owen Doherty, Maritime Administration, Office of Security, CODE: MAR-420, ROOM W23-312, 1200 NEW JERSEY AVE, S.E., Washington, DC 20590,
Phone: 202-366-1883,
FAX: 202-366 -3954,
Email: owendoherty@dot.gov

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 03:03   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonatan View Post
"pirate stretch" towards the end of November 2008 and would be interested in forming a flotilla with other yachts. If
I wouldn't be interested in going with other yachts! LOL More like a big fat aircraft carrier

Gord is on the ball. I hear from a nicely placed source in the military that within a few weeks you might be able to ring on the 2-way and join a convoy. Worth seeing if this info is correct.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 22:46   #4

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
Be carefull! We have travelled the piracy area and all I can say is, stay close (within 10 miles) of the yemen coast up untill Oman, than head south. Most of the attacks occur this year from Mukkalah north east.
look for detailed Piracy map on Noonsite, if you have any questions email us.
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 22:48   #5

oh yeah, fly one light (white) low only, use 2 watt on your radio, and convoys are easy to pick up from anywhere trhoughout the red sea as everyone is facing the dilemma. Look in Suez, Hurghada, Port Ghalib, and most likely Aden to hook up. Many boats there always.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I live in Sana’a Yemen, and make fairly frequent road trips to Aden.
If you guys will be stopping in, let me know when, and I may be able to give some ground assistance if I’ll be in Aden.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:51   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
The year we transited the Gulf of Aden, we sailed straight up the middle of the Gulf, 70 miles from Somalia and 70 miles from Yemen. We only approached the Yemeni coast when we went into Aden for fuel.

The year we transited the Gulf of Aden, two yachts were attacked by pirates from Yemen. They were sailing only 28 miles off the coast of Yemen when they were attacked.

We paired off with one other yacht when we sailed through Pirate Alley. If you would like to see two video clips dealing with Pirate Alley, you can check out Episode 2: Pirate Alley and Episode 3: Welcome to the Wild West at the following URL:

dvd

Those clips have actual recordings of people talking about getting attacked in Pirate Alley.

If I do another circumnavigation, I will do the same strategy and sail right up the middle of Pirate Alley not favoring either shore.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:05   #8

I would strongly advice to stay close to the yemen coast! Look at the current situation which is very, V E R Y different this year from previous years. Look at the map and you will know why. The number of attacks have increased dramatically and 70 miles out is looking for trouble if you ask me.
Old 14-01-2009, 15:44   #9

red sea southbound

We are hoping to go through the red sea to Darwin in 09. Does anyone have information that could help or is anyone intending to do same. Kosta
kosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 16:48   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
GULF OF ADEN
SUGGESTED WAY POINTS FOR TRANSIT

* 1. This MARAD advisory provides suggested waypoints for commercial vessels to transit the Gulf of Aden.

Don't commercial vessels travel a bit faster than the average cruiser?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 18:01   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

* 4. Coordinates of suggested corridor through the Gulf of Aden:

Waypoint: 12 15N 045E

Waypoint: 12 35N 045E

Waypoint: 13 35N 049E

Waypoint: 13 40N 049E

Waypoint: 14 10N 050E

Waypoint: 14 15N 050E

Waypoint: 14 35N 053E

Waypoint: 14 45N 053E
Very kind of them to provide the pirates with the coordinates!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:59   #12

gulf of aden

I have just completed another delivery,sailing from seychelles to the med via the gulf of aden.Going through the gulf you want to keep going.I refueled in salalah in oman.then stayed 1 mile outside the safe channel.I didnt use any lights radar or vhf from the seychelles untill well into the red sea.with the vhf my idea was if they hear you they will look for you.Note the safe channel or patrolled channel is being changed to give a wider route for shipping.A list of new weypoints can be found on noonsite.I stayed way over to 60deg in the indian ocean and still had a large fishing boat come and have a look this was nearly 600 miles off the coast.If you have a sat phone you can talk daily to the ukmto.for updates.
Another thing is everybody must speak to there insurers.as they may ad a clause for your route.one thing to consider is that the pirates are taking tankers for millions in ransom,and we are just very small yachts and not worth the same.
Skipper David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 16:48   #13

kosta

Thank you for your info. How much would it be to have a 48foot yacht delivered to Singapore or Thialand? Approx woll do. Kosta
kosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:54   #14

kosta

Hi Kosta
Just a couple of questions ref delivery.where are you starting from,and what yacht is it.model make.delivery is priced by distance and time.
If you want to have a private conversation contact me on contact direct under my profile on the left
The other thing is are you coming along,this will help calculate crew required.
Skipper David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 17:06   #15

I have been doing this from Turkey to Thailand recently. Contrary to what David believes I would not hold to the shipping lane. Depending on the yacht I would go much closer to the coast of Yemen, anywhere between 6 to 10 miles as the coast is very well guarded by Yemen Coast Guard. Further I would seek a (small) convoy of boats (always waiting in Aden, Mukallah or Red Sea). Most pirate attacks appear in and close to the shipping lane. (Look at the map on NOONSITE). If you need delivery, let me know. I have some options for you that might be interesting.

Tags
Seychelles