Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 23:12   #1

Dubai to The Med

Has anyone had any experience taking a motor yacht from Dubai to The Med via the Suez Canal? I'd be interested to read of your experiences and if you'd ever undertake the voyage again?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
deansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Dubai to The Med

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, deansy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:51   #3

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

Unfortunately there remain Somali pirates out on the waters one would need to pass through that would see a private yacht as an easy target.
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:52   #4

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansy View Post
Has anyone had any experience taking a motor yacht from Dubai to The Med via the Suez Canal? I'd be interested to read of your experiences and if you'd ever undertake the voyage again?

Make sure to have plenty of gifts (cigarettes etc.) and cash on hand to give to Egyptian civil servants. Many of them are corrupt. Put expensive stuff out of sight.

Should you have a woman / girl on board and decide to go sightseeing in Egypt stick to the tourist places and don't ever let her out of your sight. Rape is one of the most common crimes in Egypt. 99% of all Egyptian women have been the victim of sexual abuse and western women are considered 'fair game'. Rape in Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:54   #5

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

http://eunavfor.eu/wp-content/upload...ingWarning.pdf
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 17:42   #6

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I did the transit by 48' sail yacht back in 2008. 65' FP Cat also in 2008 but from Egypt. Many time by ship. If your yacht is a superyacht, I bet your insurers would have a opinion.
When I did it by pleasure yacht we had lots of trinkets to hand out to part time fisherman/possible part time pirates. They have very fast vessels.
Suez pilot is compulsory, as the size goes up the more assistance you would probably be told to take. North RedSea many places to keep your vessel in a marina while you do sight seeing. I remember Port Galib just north of Herguada, another entry port down south but I can't remember name. The Suez transit is a pleasurable experience in my opinion.
Egyptians on this coast are fine, Fuel cheap in Red Sea, Fine diving many places in RedSea, Fishing pretty good.
I would suspect that other fisherman jumped on the Somalie band wagon, knowing the somalies would get the blame, but its probably no more dangerous than back in 2008. Trouble is with next to none doing it, there is no information. If your vessel is smaller, trucking to gulf of Aquaba is a option.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 08:30   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Hello Dean,
How did your plan go in moving your boat from Dubai, I am thinking of moving my sailing boat from Dubai to the Med and would like to learn from your experience.
thank you
my email is adel dot lootah at gmail dot com
Old 27-10-2014, 00:03   #8

I'm yet to undertake the voyage & after reading that pirate activity is still a 'clear and present danger', I'm seriously re-evaluating the exercise. I have quotes to ship the vessel to the Med and that may yet be the cheapest, certainly safest option. I was working toward next year so still have. Plenty of evaluation time. Thanks to those that commented.

deansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 02:04   #9

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

I have sailed Oman to Med and other way too, once single handed and its easily doable. Winds are strong on the nose both ends of Red Sea.

Sail close to Yemen, drop into Aden for really cheap diesel.

I had some followers one night and met a Somali fishing boat near Socotra on another voyage, Thailand to Med, after running over a tuna wire, they got me off and took a bottle of whisky, but left some dried fish on deck in return....

On the 2nd time I did it I was armed but always thought I wouldn't show it as what really was I going to do so dumped it...

Have agood trip
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 11:20   #10

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansy View Post

Dear Deansy,

We are the organisors of The Red Sea Sailing Safari, we are in Egypt now and having a ball. Check out our Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/redseasaili...ref=ts&fref=ts

If you or anyone else are really interested send me a PM with your e-mail address. One of our participants shipped his yacht from Dubia to the Med before joining us. I'm sure he will be willing to point you in the right direction.

Most of the Red Sea is safe but way down south Yemen etc still has problems with piracy and I would not recommend going there yet.

As for all the other rubbish you see on here corruption etc. These people and many other people need to come out of the dark ages.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote