Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2009, 13:30   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific Seacraft 31 Mariah
Talking Buying a Boat in Malaysia or Thailand

Hello, I would like to inquire if anyone has bought a boat in Malaysia or Thailand. I am seriously looking for a steel cruiser (35 to 45ft) to sail and surf in Indonesia and Thailand areas during my summer breaks from teaching. There seems to be a few brokers, ie Lee Marine, Pippen Marine etc......... and I was wondering if any of you has any good or bad experiences, or just some advice for me. I would like to buy there so I won't have to sail all the way from California as I only have two months per summer. (I know that is generous). I plan on flying there from California in December to check some boats out. Any advice or firsthand experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
dingoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 15:47   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Hi,
we have almost bought a boat from Pippenmarine, but finally found better one sold by owner and the sale was mediated by Simpson Marine in Singapore. Everything went quite smooth and especially Michele Pippen gives the whole thing a very personal touch.
However, it is (or was in 2006) difficult to find a surveyor. The ones we approached (three if I remember correctly) were asking US1000/day and the survey would take minimum 2 days (the second day writing the report...). When we saw a report by one of the recommended surveyors (barely one A4 with keen observations like, boat has one mast and golden stripe on the hull, looks good...), we decided to do the survey ourselves.
Naturally great thing is the cheap repairs. If you buy in Singapore or close to Singapore, I recommend to refit from Marintech, who will deliver and might give generous discounts on larger orders.
Good luck
Petr
Old 18-11-2009, 16:01   #3

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
dingoman

Not sure if sonnysoh is still a member of this forum. He berths his Hunter at Admiral Marina in Port Dickson, and has friends who may be able to find you a boat that suits you. You could PM him to check.

FYI, Malaysia does not have any taxes on boats.

Cheers.

JohnC

Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 03:11   #4

Location: At present in Turkey, after a good 10 weeks in the Red Sea
Boat: 50ft Cruiser
Buying yacht in Malaysia

Hi
We sold our boat in Malaysia , worked well for us. Did it through the internet. Maybe we were lucky didnt take long to sell , some take a while. We do know of a yacht that is for sale that meets your criteria, very nice steel 38ft, ideal for this area. It is well appointed, all the cruising gear and a well maintained yacht. Not sure how much they want but I can put you in touch if you wish.
Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 10:14   #5

Hi,
I want sell my 43 ft steel sailing vessel. The boat is in a very good condition and I stay of langkawi. If you want, i can sent you a pdf-file.
inouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 01:31   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi dingoman and welcome to Cruisers Forum.

The issue with buying in the SEA region is really one of selection. The market is very small for cruising boats and the supply is weak. For local buyers it is a matter of staying ready and then buying when a boat that meets most of your criteria comes on market.

This search link is one I periodically browse through. It is sailboats in the Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Philippine markets. You might consider expanding your search to Australia and sailing the boat up here.

Sailboats for Sail in SEA

There are quirks to buying in any of these places and you may have a challenge to register a boat in any of these countries if you are not resident. I don't know how it would work to buy a boat in Asia, register it in the USA without the boat actually going there and then keeping it here. Most countries have a max stay for foreign registered boats.

I do know of a 38 foot steel boat for sail here. It is not being advertised yet and the owner is motivated. The boat is well known here in Singapore. It was built in New Zealand and sailed to Asia. The owner then discontinued cruising plans and sold the boat into the local market here.

The current owner is a friend of mine and I have sailed her a couple of times. I have attached a few snaps from a recent sail. We were short sailed and pulling 7+ knots in about 15 knots of breeze. She is not perfect and could use a bit of tlc but the hull is sound, the motor is new and the sails are average. Current owner doesn't have time to sail her.

If you are interested in more info post here or send me a PM.

Now - Just an observation - Boats deteriorate just sitting still. If you plan to leave a boat in Asia for 8 months a year and then sail for 4 you might reconsider steel. There are a couple of river moorings and the brackish water results in less fouling but plastic boats can be wrapped/covered and I have seen several boats left for a few months. I reckon plastic will survive better left untended.

Another option is to get a caretaker or partner in the region to care for the boat with a 6-month/6-month type of arangement. I have seen airplane partnerships like that. As a resident he/she can then be the registered owner. But the legalities and trust of a partner are hard to forge long distance.

Another option is to think about putting your money into a charter boat like moorings or sunsail. I understand you can do the deal in the US and actually swap your "owners" weeks for boats in the network. Sail magazine has an article this month by a couple who do that. The downside is you are limited to the local cruising ground pretty much. There is a flourishing sunsail operation in Thailand.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130255.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	11274   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130256.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	11275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130253.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	11276   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130257.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	11277  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 08:16   #7

Yes I would be interested. Please send details to randyfox13 at yahoo dot com

Thanks!!!
Old 23-11-2009, 08:17   #8

Yes I would be very interested. Please send me anyway to contact owner!! Thanks!!!!
Old 23-11-2009, 15:43   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Why not. Try to avoid boats that spent years there without crew onboard - they may be pretty moldy.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 16:06   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingoman View Post
Yes I would be interested. Please send details to randyfox13 at yahoo dot com

Thanks!!!
Randy - I sent an email to you with the owners contact details.

I also reformatted your email address to try and avoid email bots that sniff up emails from the internet.

Dan
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 16:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by inouk View Post
Hi,
I want sell my 43 ft steel sailing vessel. The boat is in a very good condition and I stay of langkawi. If you want, i can sent you a pdf-file.
I know this boat - it is one of the best condition used boats I have ever seen. (I have no connection with the owner whatsoever)
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 21:29   #12

Boat: William Garden Ketch
I also know this boat and the owner. It is a very good boat and the owner is still living on board. She is building a house in Langkawi which is almost ready and hopes to move in next week. So the boat is imaculate. I was on board this morning and am impressed with the space and amount of spares etc.

I suggest you contact her.
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 15:29   #13

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Hi mate, I will be at Langkawi, Malaysia, to buy my boat on Sunday, so I will have a look for you at what is on offer there, steel boats are a big maintenance items , frp is the way to go, lock n leave, apparently leaving a boat here for long periods is really cheap and they look after it, start the motor once a week, clean it etc?
Cheers .
surfmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:31   #14

If you would like to look at my boat which is in Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, I will be back late on Sunday afternoon in Langkawi. If that is too late for you please call me and I will ask somebody to show you the boat. My contact is + 60 (0) 14 2711302
inouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48   #15

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Hi Inouk, I have already paid a deposit on this boat at rebak marina, if I have time I will go to your marina and check it out, but I will not have any transport, apart from a tender at the present moment, I get in there 3.05 at langkawi airport.
Cheers from Keith.
surfmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Malaysia, Thailand