Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 05:25   #16

Boat: Wooden sailing yatch-53ft-Contessa
Hi!
I am just new in cruisersforum.
I just bought my sailing yatch in Thailand this year. Wonderfull one..
Contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:57   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contessa View Post
Hi!
I am just new in cruisersforum.
I just bought my sailing yatch in Thailand this year. Wonderfull one..
I just had a look at your album...she is gorgeous...congratulations!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:44   #18

Boat: Wooden sailing yatch-53ft-Contessa
Thank you very much !
I am looking for some friends here, maybe we can share some sailing experiences..
Does anybody of you sailes in Thailand and on the near of Pattaya?
I have experience about buying a board in Thailand. Sometimes its not easy. But I love my yatch, she must has everything what she needs..
Contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48   #19

Boat: 1980 Pacific Seacraft 31 Mariah
any pics of boat your buying? How are prices there?
dingoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:50   #20

you can buy boards in Chalong in Phuket, near the rounder intersection........there is a dive shop near there too..good boards, fair prices................it's very near the warf........
Old 10-12-2009, 15:59   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Its all happening in Langkawi by the looks!

One thing to remember or investigate is the visa differences between Thailand and Malaysia. Malaysia its pretty easy but Thailand its getting a bbit more difficult: a propper visa gives you 2 months, but renewing or just coming in only gives 14 days. Its necessary to check it out if you want to stay for a while in either place.

I dont have the full details as we are not intending staying in Thailand for long.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 17:07   #22

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I just had a look at your album...she is gorgeous...congratulations!
That she is
Old 11-12-2009, 06:56   #23

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Boats rarely sell for the asking price, there are several here at rebak marina, for a lot of money, but you need to be on thr ground and have the cash and you can get them a lot cheaper. The mozzies are incredible here!
I went for a 3 hr sail this arvo, first one in the new adams 31', it wnet great, 6knots plus in around 10 to 12 knot breeze, heaps of palm fringed island here! It is proving to be a fantastic boat?
Cheers from Keith
surfmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 23:16   #24

"There are quirks to buying in any of these places and you may have a challenge to register a boat in any of these countries if you are not resident."

You are able to register a yacht on the Malaysian Registry - no probs - the office is in the government building on the harbour at Telaga - Langkawi (duty free port) and you do NOT have to be resident.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 21:57   #25

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Yes, the Malaysians welcome cruising people, the Rebak Marina will even organise a 2 year visa, no problems. Did another 8 hour sail yesterday, saturday in very, very strong winds, down amongst the smaller islands, incredible scenery!
surfmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 22:32   #26

Boat: Vagabond 42
2 YEAR VISA FOR MALAYSIA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Yes, the Malaysians welcome cruising people, the Rebak Marina will even organise a 2 year visa, no problems. Did another 8 hour sail yesterday, saturday in very, very strong winds, down amongst the smaller islands, incredible scenery!
I'm not sure how that works. Depending on your nationality, you can have a 3 month tourist visa and in the past, you could renew that with a visa run to Thailand or Singapore more or less ad infinitum. It's not so easy now and the word is you stay out 3 nights minimum the first renewal, a month the second time and three months the third time.

You can also join the Malaysia My Second Home scheme and get a ten year visa but you need to deposit a substantial amount of money for that and prove an income.

You get a two year visa on the back of a work permit and if you form an offshore company in Labuan (Another duty free Malaysian island) you can also have a two year visa. You do, however, have to pay registration fees and annual fees for the company. There are also annual fees payable for Langkawi registration.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 02:36   #27

There are well over a 2,000 cruising boats in Malaysia and Thailand at this time - Brokers yes ! Langkawi is a duty free port with at least 4 brokers - 2 surveyors - 3 month visas on arrival. The North East Monsoon provides easy testing waters, good food, not expensive. Well worth a visit it, if one is considering cruising in waters where anchoring is free.
Note - Not a broker! not in the travel industry ! just a cruiser.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 07:35   #28

Re: Buying a Boat in Malaysia or Thailand

Interesting reading guys!
We are looking at buying in MY but are amazed at how few boats are up for sale and more especially motor cruisers. Hoping to move to KL on the MM2H scheme and live with my daughters family.
Any pointers for brokers etc gratefully received especially Langkawi, Penang or Port Dickson areas.
James
Lt Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 19:49   #29

Hello, Try Pippen Marine in Langkawi as Michele is very helpful and has a good handel on what is there. Also try Phuket area as there are a lot of boats uo there. Lee Marine has good brokers that can assist you. And best of all is to get there and look as there are actually a lot of boats for sale and many are not using a broker. All the best, dingoman
Old 15-05-2013, 22:38   #30

Boat: Vagabond 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Bogey View Post
Interesting reading guys!
We are looking at buying in MY but are amazed at how few boats are up for sale and more especially motor cruisers. Hoping to move to KL on the MM2H scheme and live with my daughters family.
Any pointers for brokers etc gratefully received especially Langkawi, Penang or Port Dickson areas.
James
Pippen marine - pippenmarine.com/‎, www.yachtbroker-charters.com/‎, Langkawi Boat Sales & Services - alan@langkawibss.com. plus the posh ones.

Even better than the brokers, have a good look around and ask around the marinas. There are many boats, mostly sailing, where people have started out from Europe or North America, got to here and now face the daunting prospect of a trip across the Indian Ocean, round the tip of South Africa and then the full length of the South and North Atlantic to get home or brave the Aden, Somalia, Red Sea area.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Malaysia, Thailand