Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 00:45   #106

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Australia To Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Madagascar Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Note well that Krakatoa (Anak Krakatau, the child of Krakatoa) has been quite active the past few months, as part of the increased seismic activity in the Ring of Fire.

The advice from Indonesian authorities is to give Anak Krakatau a wide berth of at least 1 n mile if you're transiting the Sunda Strait.

See: Mount Anak Krakatau Erupts 576 Times: PVMBG | Enviro | Tempo.Co :: Indonesian News Portal
Krakatoa (Anak Krakatau, the child or son of Krakatoa) started another series of eruptions on Monday 5 November. Indonesia's Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency has declared a Level II alert and declared an exclusion zone with a radius of 2 km from the crater. A black ash column can be seen by day. Incandescent material is being ejected.

See: https://www.republika.co.id/berita/n...akatau-meletus
Old 15-11-2018, 15:17   #107

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

As an update to this thread, we’ve decided to stop in Lombok (near Bali) until April or May. We realized the pace was going to be a little faster than we would like (as many of you suggested it would be), even though it didn’t feel like it at the time. That’s why I come here... for experienced perspectives.

I’ll be creating a new post to gather thoughts from those who have successfully left their boats in such warm climates.

Thanks again,
austin
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 12:31   #108

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

My own trip from Darwin to S Africa was in a different route and season, so not much advice there.
Even the northern part of the Indian Ocean will be taxing on your self steering or autopilot. Also, Ham radio is your friend.
No one should miss the Seychelles and I would recommend the Chagos Archipelago, Aldabra and Comoros islands as places to see.
For transiting S African peninsula, we left Durban for Capetown just after Christmas and hugged the coast.
When we encountered a gale, (every three days) we ducked in to a port and waited them out. I remember stopping in East London, Port Elizabeth and Mossilbaai.
Be prepared to get a quiz from the S African harbormasters on your plan and readiness. South African sailors are required to pass a test in order to leave their harbors and they are weary of sending out rescue boats.
I'd do the trip over again in a New York Minute.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 15:48   #109

Quote:
Krakatoa (Anak Krakatau, the child or son of Krakatoa) started another series of eruptions on Monday 5 November. Indonesia's Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency has declared a Level II alert and declared an exclusion zone with a radius of 2 km from the crater. A black ash column can be seen by day. Incandescent material is being ejected.

See: https://www.republika.co.id/berita/n...akatau-meletus
Local media is reporting an eruption of Anak Krakatau that created a tsunami that hit the shores of the Sunda Strait just before dawn on Sunday 23 December. Reports suggest 20 dead and more than 150 injured.
Old 22-12-2018, 15:51   #110

Quote:
Local media is reporting an eruption of Anak Krakatau that created a tsunami that hit the shores of the Sunda Strait just before dawn on Sunday 23 December. Reports suggest 20 dead and more than 150 injured.
https://nasional.tempo.co/read/11580...-anak-krakatau
Old 22-12-2018, 15:55   #111

Quote:
video from smartphone: https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...24213857484800
Old 22-12-2018, 16:01   #112

Quote:
and more, from a local official, suggesting 20 dead and at least 165 injured:

https://twitter.com/Sutopo_PN/status...14699322490882
Old 22-12-2018, 20:09   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Latest Anak Krakatau news says 43 dead, 600 injured. Tsunami likely caused by an underwater landslide of "accumulated sediments giving way".

Size of tsunami not clear, but some sources are reporting 65ft while others are a lot lower.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 14:08   #114

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

I sailed to Anak Krakatoa in 1978 and climbed it. It was a pretty dead cinder cone then. You weren't allowed to land there but we were leaving Indonesia for good (or so we thought).
It was about 200' high and smelled a little sulfury. There was a some litter at the top and ants (go figure). The grainy black sand would suck your feet in, to above the ankle, and there were balls of pumice floating everywhere.
We had departed for Diego Garcia from the port of Merak, which was then an oil logistics hub and the biggest port at the west end of Java. While we were in Merak, one of the expats stationed there told me that the water rose 186' after the 1883 eruption.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 14:20   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Latest Anak Krakatau news says 43 dead, 600 injured. Tsunami likely caused by an underwater landslide of "accumulated sediments giving way".

Size of tsunami not clear, but some sources are reporting 65ft while others are a lot lower.
Local media reports suggest the final death toll will approach 500.

The height of the tsunami waves seems set to remain unclear.

That's partly because of different experiences at different locations.

Further contributing to different reports is lack of clarity of what baseline ought be used: from trough to crest; or height above Mean Sea Level. And reports using the latter notion are complicated by the tsunami wave set arriving at the shore close to the time of spring high water.

I've read supposedly authoritative reports that range from two waves of 4 metre and 1 metre, to the report from a beach patrol member (Ali Maryana, who was at the Tanjung Lesung Resort) of an 8 metre wave followed by a 3 metre wave.

You can read Ali's report at: https://nasional.tempo.co/read/11585...r/full&view=ok

Note well that Anak Krakatau is still active, so more events cannot be ruled out. And Anak Krakatau is only one of the several volcanoes active in Indonesia at the moment, associated with a relatively high level of activity along the Pacific Rim of Fire.
Old 24-12-2018, 22:40   #116

Quote:
I've read supposedly authoritative reports that range from two waves of 4 metre and 1 metre, to the report from a beach patrol member (Ali Maryana, who was at the Tanjung Lesung Resort) of an 8 metre wave followed by a 3 metre wave.
Hours after I wrote the above, the Indonesian Meteorological, Climatology, and Geophysical authorities issued a news release in which they named and listed authoritatively the areas that had suffered tsunami waves of:
(1) 2.5 - 4 metres; and
(2) 1.5 - 2.5 metres.

See the core parts of that news release in: https://travel.tempo.co/read/1158680...i/full&view=ok
Old 26-12-2018, 21:46   #117

Radar images from a Japanese satellite show that whatever happened to Anak Krakatau to cause the tsunami on 22 December has left Anak Krakatau much diminished in size above sea level.

See the satellite radar images at: Satellite images show collapse of Indonesian island volcano - The Mainichi
Old 14-01-2019, 17:43   #118

After a week with a couple of destructive willy-willies (puting beliung or small localised and weak tornadoes), the Meteorological Agency of Indonesia has issued an alert warning of more (plus squalls and heavy rain):

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...this-week.html
Old 04-03-2019, 03:07   #119

Latest warning around Anak Krakatau:

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...-krakatau.html

Tags
Australia, Indonesia, Madagascar, route, Thailand