Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 03:00   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
At Least One More Sailor Dead at Hands of Pirates

I have read conflicting reports of the number of crew of the French catamaran recently recovered off the coast of Yemen. Still not sure if there were 4 persons aboard or only 2. Either way, at least one more sailor dead at the hands of pirates while trying to get through known Somali pirate territory. What will it take to make sailors acknowledge the fact that this really is a "no-go" area now.

Noonsite: Crew Abudcted from French Sailing Yacht off Yemen by Somali Pirates

French skipper killed by pirates off Yemen

Seven pirates held in rescue of French hostage: Spain | My Sinchew

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 03:04   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: At least one more sailor dead at hands of pirates

Sad for the crew, but I'm happy they got the pirates.

I still don't understand why the EU, U.S., etc. don't organize convoys through that area.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 03:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: At least one more sailor dead at hands of pirates

Sailors being sailors will always go.. and do... whatever others tell them they cannot...
Its in the gene's...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 03:40   #4

Boat: Baba 35

Horrible news. Was hoping this ended up like S/V Gandalf's experience several years back.

As to the question of why convoys are not organized in a more official manner, perhaps Mark has something to add to that. My understanding was that there was a standard operating procedure that involved informing involved parties of your passage plan so they can keep an eye on you.

Fair winds to the skipper.
Patient is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59   #5

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Pirates cover a huge area in the Indian Ocean. It is absolute folly to try and voyage through here!
No cruiser can expect to be protected by any authorities or navies in this dangerous area.
Stay away, not worth the risk!
Jamel is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 06:08   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

The girl with the clipboard looked so disappointed when I said I would not, on grounds of conscience, donate to Somali famine relief.

My strong suspicion is that it would go to feed either someone who thought me an infidel worthy of death, or to someone who would be looking to expand their ability to threaten my family farther into the Indian Ocean, or both.

Not something I can support, really, and as heartbreaking as the starving babies can be, I believe much of this "famine" is man-made and man-maintained.

So not only would I not sail in the area, until they stop hijacking and killing cruisers and merchantmen, they can starve in the dark, frankly.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Now they are coming ashore, the poor seasick guys...

Kenyan kidnapping: Briton David Tebbutt killed and wife Judith snatch by pirates | Mail Online
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 07:30   #8

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

The Governments of the EU,US, and others has a very exstensive presents in these waters. Take a look a the photos below.
It is my understanding that cruisiers form convoys to traverse these waters.
It's a sad fact of life that when you travel in a war zone, bad things can happen to you.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/03/pirates_of_somalia.html
John A is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy
The girl with the clipboard looked so disappointed when I said I would not, on grounds of conscience, donate to Somali famine relief.

My strong suspicion is that it would go to feed either someone who thought me an infidel worthy of death, or to someone who would be looking to expand their ability to threaten my family farther into the Indian Ocean, or both.

Not something I can support, really, and as heartbreaking as the starving babies can be, I believe much of this "famine" is man-made and man-maintained.

So not only would I not sail in the area, until they stop hijacking and killing cruisers and merchantmen, they can starve in the dark, frankly.
I think you should educate yourself more to the plight of Somalia. Somalia isn't pirates and all pirates are not Somali. The pirate menace originates from one province ( Putland)a now virtually autonomous province that the runt Somali government had tried to control and failed to do.

The plight of the average Somali is not to be confused with the pirate problem.

If your going to be hard hearted, at least be an educated one.

Dave
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22   #10

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: At Least One More Sailor Dead at Hands of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think you should educate yourself more to the plight of Somalia. Somalia isn't pirates and all pirates are not Somali. The pirate menace originates from one province ( Putland)a now virtually autonomous province that the runt Somali government had tried to control and failed to do.

The plight of the average Somali is not to be confused with the pirate problem.

If your going to be hard hearted, at least be an educated one.

Dave
If the government of Somalia cannot control the problem on the ground, they should ask for assistance from someone that can. Or is the money coming in from the piracy going to government officials? I will believe that Somalia is serious about the problem when they drag the leaders out from their houses (They never get in a boat) and try them and convict them in open court, then take them out and exicute them. I will believe the rest of the world is serious when they go after and sink the mother ships. Anyone cought in a skiff in open water past 50 miles off shore with an AK47 in their boat should have the boat shot out from under them. We can tell you the brand of cigarette you are smoking from space, I can spot boats in the ocean as small as 15' on Google Earth, don't tell me they don't know where every boat in the West Indian Ocean is. And you don't need to do it by eye, there's probably an app for that.

And I have seen that MAYBE 1% of charity monies actually get to the victims with the other 99% going to corruption, bribes, and outright theft. The only one you help by donating to the charities in this reagion are the pirates. On the sea or on the land, they are all pirates.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:33   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
If the government of Somalia cannot control the problem on the ground, they should ask for assistance from someone that can. Or is the money coming in from the piracy going to government officials? I will believe that Somalia is serious about the problem when they drag the leaders out from their houses (They never get in a boat) and try them and convict them in open court, then take them out and exicute them. I will believe the rest of the world is serious when they go after and sink the mother ships. Anyone cought in a skiff in open water past 50 miles off shore with an AK47 in their boat should have the boat shot out from under them.

And I have seen that MAYBE 1% of charity monies actually get to the victims with the other 99% going to corruption, bribes, and outright theft. The only one you help by donating to the charities in this reagion are the pirates.
think you might be confusing charitys with the united nations.......
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
If the government of Somalia cannot control the problem on the ground, they should ask for assistance from someone that can ...
Somalia wants more help to combat pirates

Somali Foreign Minister Mohammed Abdullahi Omar has called for greater funding to fight the causes of piracy on land, rather than only fighting at sea. Speaking at a counterpiracy conference in Dubai in April he said, “The world has so far only responded with a strategy of containment. This is not productive, effective, or sufficient for the world or for Somalia.” He said the core of the piracy problem is Somalia’s weak government, which lacks police or military forces to curb the piracy problem. Two decades of conflict and anarchy have given pirate groups freedom to do as they please.

iN 2011 ➥ Somalia wants more help to combat pirates - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

iN 2009 ➥ World Maritime News - Somalia asks for help tackling pirates

GordMay is online now   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47   #13

The shores of Tripoli type help. Help that cannot be diverted into officials pockets. All I see is the Somali government asking for money to fund non-existant police.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50   #14

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Somalia wants more help to combat pirates

Somali Foreign Minister Mohammed Abdullahi Omar has called for greater funding to fight the causes of piracy on land, rather than only fighting at sea. Speaking at a counterpiracy conference in Dubai in April he said, “The world has so far only responded with a strategy of containment. This is not productive, effective, or sufficient for the world or for Somalia.” He said the core of the piracy problem is Somalia’s weak government, which lacks police or military forces to curb the piracy problem. Two decades of conflict and anarchy have given pirate groups freedom to do as they please.

iN 2011 ➥ Somalia wants more help to combat pirates - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

iN 2009 ➥ World Maritime News - Somalia asks for help tackling pirates
From what I have read, the pirates have plenty of funding. They just need to take it from them. The pirates have collected enough money that they could take care of the famine problem on their own. Billions thus far. They will not take care of their own. Why should I?
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 08:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
think you might be confusing charitys with the united nations.......
As I understand it most of the charities in this region are administered by the UN.
Closed Thread