Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:50   #31

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: At Least One More Sailor Dead at Hands of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Once again, we look at the flower and not the root. And, the root is that we are dealing with Third World People who live in rampant anarchy and operate their lives under the laws of survival of the fittest. This heinous form of piracy could be stopped immediately if there were a concerted effort by several nations to police these areas and to utilize deadly force on any/all perpetrators. This, we know, will not happen since we must atone for our civilized behaviour by being sympathetic to those downtrodden who are not civilized and live by the law of the jungle. And, how can reasonably intelligent people believe that they will somehow be immune to these atrocities when transiting these areas when so many have suffered the worst fate? This, indeed, is a sad and tragic state of affairs. Best, Ron
rognvald,
I invite you to acess the website I identified in post # 8 for a review of what the Navies of the world are doing in this region.

The last I heard there is a US Navy Fleet that is assigned to Caribbean Sea. US Navy SEAL Team 6 is tasked with boarding ships that have been commandeered.

I doubt that you or I have a clue what the Navies of the world are doing, daily.
John A is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 10:51   #32

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Seriously, my fear is that piracy starts to spread to other parts of the world. Unless action is taken by the world nations to stop it, others will see unprotected boats and ships as easy prey.
+1 The world has the responsibility to stop it.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:00   #33

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
politix??? or wise investment in charitable organizations..... or not....
isnt politics--is intelligence and common sense.
I am sorry Zeehag, but you cannot use those above words in the same paragaph. Let alone the same sentence.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14   #34

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think you should educate yourself more to the plight of Somalia. Somalia isn't pirates and all pirates are not Somali. The pirate menace originates from one province ( Putland)a now virtually autonomous province that the runt Somali government had tried to control and failed to do.

The plight of the average Somali is not to be confused with the pirate problem.

If your going to be hard hearted, at least be an educated one.

Dave
I am very aware of the plight of the Somalis. I live in Toronto. We've taken in thousands of 'em as refugees and probably the most famous Somali in the West, the rapper K'naan, lives here. Many of my viewpoints have been directly influenced by actual Somalis living here who have said that for every dollar that actually goes to feed a starving refugee in a Kenyan camp, a few more go to buy ammo for RPGs and AK-47s.

It's not just Puntland. It's most places that aren't the capital and aren't the former Somaliland, which is actually more or less functional.

Al-Shabaab (Al-Shabaab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is basically a bunch of gangsters who want Wahabi/Salafist Islam imposed across Somalia. They occupy at least half of Somalia

and have influence, arms and activities beyond its borders.

There is a tradition of self-reliance in Somalia, according to Somalis, not me:

K’naan returns from Somalia with hope rather than despair - The Globe and Mail

To request aid is not a custom in that country, and to send aid to your enemies would be considered extremely foolish.

It's in that sense my opinions have been formed. The plight of the average Somali is related to pirates because the pirates are related to the thugs that control Somalia to such a large degree. Once, it was about fishermen fighting against illegal rape of the resource; now, it's about bringing about a new caliphate and paying for it in Western ransoms. Again, I feel sorry for the victims, but at some point they will have to take their country back themselves. If they can't, I have no intention of seeing my charity directed to the place.

Educated enough for ya?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
I am sorry Zeehag, but you cannot use those above words in the same paragaph. Let alone the same sentence.
just saying the intelligent with common sense remain away and politix isnt part of the scenario.....as far as charitable gifting is concerned....
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 12:08   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I am very aware of the plight of the Somalis. I live in Toronto. We've taken in thousands of 'em as refugees and probably the most famous Somali in the West, the rapper K'naan, lives here. Many of my viewpoints have been directly influenced by actual Somalis living here who have said that for every dollar that actually goes to feed a starving refugee in a Kenyan camp, a few more go to buy ammo for RPGs and AK-47s.

It's not just Puntland. It's most places that aren't the capital and aren't the former Somaliland, which is actually more or less functional.

Al-Shabaab (Al-Shabaab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is basically a bunch of gangsters who want Wahabi/Salafist Islam imposed across Somalia. They occupy at least half of Somalia

and have influence, arms and activities beyond its borders.

There is a tradition of self-reliance in Somalia, according to Somalis, not me:

K’naan returns from Somalia with hope rather than despair - The Globe and Mail

To request aid is not a custom in that country, and to send aid to your enemies would be considered extremely foolish.

It's in that sense my opinions have been formed. The plight of the average Somali is related to pirates because the pirates are related to the thugs that control Somalia to such a large degree. Once, it was about fishermen fighting against illegal rape of the resource; now, it's about bringing about a new caliphate and paying for it in Western ransoms. Again, I feel sorry for the victims, but at some point they will have to take their country back themselves. If they can't, I have no intention of seeing my charity directed to the place.

Educated enough for ya?
I have been doing business with Somalis, Nigerians,and others from Africa for 4 yrs. now(selling 4x4s ,tractor trailers(flat beds)light aircraft)and can say that they are about to make a change in the status quo...they buy these vehicles to make Technicals(gun platforms and missle launchers)all of this Pirate stuff is going to be addressed real soon along with a lot of other injustices..pray for the ones that are caught up in this mess and I dont know what to do for those that would sail there after knowing whats going on and still chose to risk everything..good luck to ya..but to come on a forum like this and post such a statment as has been posted and not expect politics and opinon to enter the disscusion is silly..what kind of response would we like ..are we expected to keep saying condolinces and oh how bad this is or can we say what logic dictates...to say to a sailor to go to some other forum is a kin to cutting ones nose off to spite your face... I have seen these ads on CF and have bought there products and I enjoy the discourse but to tell someone to go to another site makes it sound like you are trying to control peoples thoughts..what would the mods have us do ?go to another website?If that is the case why not surf the comments before there posted so as to avoid the "undisirable" comments that are inevitable...the US hang gliding assoc.use to try to direct the way people thought and they couldnt figure out why membership was still only 7000 after ten years in business,they hired someone to come in and sort it out and come to find out they were there own worst enemy ,they would not let anyone that had an opinon contrary to theirs or that rubbed the sinceabilitys of a few folks that while they ment good say what they not only wanted to say but needed to be said..we are talking about Pirates here do we have to say sweet things about them or can we discuss what we really feel..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 12-09-2011, 12:13   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Cruisers Forum is not going to solve the political situation in Somalia or anywhere else and we do not wish to try and do so.

This thread is now closed.
FrankZ is offline   Reply
Closed Thread