Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 18:15   #1

Anyone Sailing Around Thailand ?

I see there alot of charter boats over there.
Wonder how safe it is? Wonder what the cost are too?

How is the water?
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:21   #2

Boat: Wooden sailing yatch-53ft-Contessa
Hi!
if you are still actif on the forum, I can provide you some informations !

See you !
Contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14   #3

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
I see there alot of charter boats over there.
Wonder how safe it is? Wonder what the cost are too?

How is the water?
The water is fine, jump in.
It is very safe, the traveling is easy, the food is great and the sailing is fantastic. The sea is mostly flat, particularly during the NE monsoon (now). Get in touch with Sunsail for a quote.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:02   #4

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
We agree with Mike on everything except the water.... it's clean and you can jump in for a dip, but it's not gorgeous "shades of blue" - more like disappointing shades of greenish brown. And lots of jellyfish at the moment... but otherwise Langkawi is fantastic getaway!
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 02:00   #5

CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER

The west coast of Thailand from Phuket in the South to the Surin Islands in the north is at this time of the year through to April, the best time for crystal clear waters. The Similan Islands on the way have world class snorkling and if you can get a visa carry on to the Mergui Archipelago in Burma for some of the worlds best cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Similan Snorks.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	11741  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 01:09   #6

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Hi Laidback, I will be back in rebak marina, Langkawi, 8-1-10. What are the visa requirements for an aussie regd boat and aussie skipper for Thailand out of Malaysia? I wont have a Burma visa. How long can you stay in thai waters and what are the entry/exit costs? Just bought the scuba/snorkelling gear and ready to go!
Cheers from Keith.
surfmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 02:45   #7

Hell Kieth,
You can clear out of Telaga immigration and sail to Phuket to clear in via many islands, one can do it in 36 hours but take around 5/6 days to get there - Arrive on a week day.
Currently the boat can stay six months and the skipper/crew for 2 + 1 months on a tourist visa.
Best advice is to check with cruisers in Telaga ( 6°21.7' North x 99° 40.6' East) regarding the MOST current requirements in Thailand.
Old 26-12-2009, 06:12   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

These guys used to be very useful on the Visa questions.

Thailand Forum
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 15:59   #9

Unfortunately, while ThaiVisa are very good for info re. tourists arriving by air or land.
They have no reliable information regarding arrival by sea in a recreational boat with reference to the conditions relating to the Skipper and Crew (and passengers not crew)
Old 27-12-2009, 17:56   #10
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
I had a boat for 5 years in Lumut on the Ding Ding river on the west coast of the Thai Penninsula. I loved the whole area. Malaysia is the most laid back with immigration you have ever seen. 3 months, go to the boarder for a stamp run and then 3 more months. The thai's are a bit more serious on their immigration and port autority rules.

I sailed there for 5 years and I had no problems with the infamous pirates that are supposed to exist in the Malacca Straits or on any of the islands but that was just my experience, I have heard of problems. I was last there in 2003.

My wife and I were so enamoured with Malaysia that we got married there on Langkawi - great way to thin out the invite list!

Langkawi is a fantastic Island surrounded by dozens of islets and there is a charter group (sunsail? i think) based out of the marina in Kuah, the main city on the island.

Just on this island you can have anything from private coves living off the hook (not so private some times of year) to living in Telaga Harbour and feeling like you are in some posh marina in the Med.

Head south to Penang and get some of the wildest and most interesting night life in the city or head out to the other side of the island for peace and quiet.

Head north to Phucket for beach party central or next door to Ko Ta Ra Tao to anchor with local fisherman.

That is just a tiny part of the west coast of the Thai Penninsula.

As for immigration info - we were based out of Malaysia - either Langkawi or Lumut and when our visa time expired we went back to Malaysia.

Cornell's site has good basic info the the regulations

Noonsite: Thailand

Here is the Thai site listing all the detailed regulations

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand

The main thing is to have your visa BEFORE entering! You can get them in Langkawi.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 19:50   #11

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Thanks Guys!
Do the Thai authorities charge you for supplying a visa on arrival? I am Australian, so I am eligible, no need to get one before I leave Langkawi.
Happy sailing!
Old 27-12-2009, 22:14   #12

"The main thing is to have your visa BEFORE entering! You can get them in Langkawi. "

Unfortunately, one CANNOT get a visa to enter Thailand in LANGkAWI - nearest place is SATUN Thailand, where you can enter via ferry from Langkawi. Or take your boat to Satun and enter there and get a 'visa on arrival'

If you want more than 15 or 30 days "on arrival visa' One's nearest Thai Consulate is in Georgetown - Penang Island. There you can apply for a 2 month Tourist Visa (apply in the morning of day one and collect it on day two after lunch) No charge until March 2010, this tourist visa can be extended for a further 30 days by Immigration Police in Thailand for the sum of 1900 baht.
Old 27-12-2009, 23:11   #13

Ahoy Laidback.
Thanks again, so the visa on arrival is 30 days, should be enough? Is the 15 or 30 days optional, can u choose?
Cheers from Keith.
Old 28-12-2009, 00:54   #14

If you enter by Boat the arrival is 30 days -- IF you cross into Thailand by a land border, I understand that it is 15 days only.
Still suggest that you clear out of Malaysia at Telaga - while you are there, check with the many cruising boats as to the CURRENT on arrival by boat numbers (they often change with little notice).
Old 28-12-2009, 05:33   #15

Ahoy Laidback.
Excellent advice! I will do it all in early January.
All the best from Keith.

Tags
Thailand