Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52   #31

Boat: Vagabond 42
O Visa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Unfortunately the 'The Non Immigrant multiple entry "O" visa' is NOT available to tourists or visiting yachts.
If you had read what I had written more carefully, I qualified it by saying 'If you are in your country of origin.'

When I was still living in the UK and thinking about cruising in this part of the world, the Thai Consulate actually advised me that that was the best option. I have had that confirmed by expats living in Thailand and, as I am on a flying visit to the UK tomorrow, I'll check it out because that would be a good option for me.

You are right in as much as you have to apply in your own country.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00   #32

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Thanks galleyslave and laidback, I will clear malaysia at kuah and go into Thailand at phuket, on a business day. A local sailer here, Simon, said they were happy if you took 10 days to get there, but maybe he is out of touch?
What is the best days to get cleared in and what times? I will clear out of the same port.
Cheers from Keith in Langkawi.
Old 11-01-2010, 21:20   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyslave View Post
If you had read what I had written more carefully, I qualified it by saying 'If you are in your country of origin.'

You are right in as much as you have to apply in your own country.
No mention was made of having to apply in your own country - Also the suggestion "If you are in your country of origin a multiple entry 'O' visa for a year might be a good option" was read very carefully. And, therefore I repeat :- 'The Non Immigrant multiple entry "O" visa' is NOT available to tourists or visiting yachts.' Here is the website dealing with various types of visas that may be issued by Thailand's embassies, consulates and honorary consulates Thai visas, residency and work permits - Thailand Forum

Two of the consulates in the UK (non-government) which do issue Non immigrant "O" visas, on personal application - if you wish details please PM and I will provide necessary contact information
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:56   #34

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
A local sailer here said they were happy if you took 10 days to get there, but maybe he is out of touch?
He's right, they would be happy - they'd have a reason to extract an extra couple of thousand baht from you

They just love people who think they can screw the system - makes them very happy.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:00   #35

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
What is the best days to get cleared in and what times? I will clear out of the same port.
Check in at Ao Chalong - at the shore end of the pier. There is an office there specifically for visiting yachts
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03   #36

Quote:
Cheers from Keith in Langkawi.
Keith,
The Main Port of entry in Western Thailand is Phuket
The best days are Monday >>> Friday (No Overtime Claimed) Time is best to be in the Immigration office at 1130 Local (one hour before Malaysia Time)
As Bewitched said "at the shore end of the Chalong Pier."
At that time the officials are wanting to go to lunch at 12 noon sharp.
Depending on the Tide - best to Lock the dinghy up on the pier rather than taking it to the beach - Ao Chalong bay has sticky filthy mud bottom.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02   #37

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Hey Laidback and ahoy Bewitched! Thanks for clarifying that! So, I go there, with my exit from Malaysia, via Kuah, left 3 days before, OK? arrive on week day just before lunch with my
*passport, exit documents from Malaysia, 3 days ago.
*ships registration and proof of ownership
*one passport photo?
*how many aussie dollars for a 30 day visa, or do they take visa, or do I need baht, or is it free like Malaysia?
*anything else, beside dressing nicely and being very polite?
*anything I shouldn't do?
Don't get me wrong, I am not a gormless kook!? I have gone around the world twice, on airplanes, just landing in way out places and walking out into the street without any plans! But never sailed my yacht into a foriegn port and been "screwed" by the local authourities, except trying to island hop in Indo' with a hired car, successfully, I might ad!!
Cheers from Keith.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:00   #38

Quote:
*one passport photo? Maybe 2 - no harm.
*how many aussie dollars for a 30 day visa, or do they take visa, or do I need baht, or is it free like Malaysia? I think free
*anything I shouldn't do?
Keep cool - just answer questions - minimum talk from you - SMILE.
Cheers from Keith.
That's it, make sure
that you arrive in their office on time- they will be happy to get rid of you before their lunch.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:43   #39

Thanks Laidback.
Happy days for you mate!
Keith.
Old 10-02-2010, 00:43   #40

Boat: Vagabond 42
I promised I would report back on a non immigrant, multiple entry 'O' visa for Thailand.

I had to go back to the UK and applied for one there. Posted application and passport to the Thai consulate in Hull and got the passport with visa back within 48 hours. Cost GBP100 plus postage. The only snag is that, unlike the 2 month visa, it runs from the date of issue not from the date of first entry into Thailand.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Thailand