Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 00:11   #1

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Yachtsmen 'died in freak accident'

Hope its in the right thread
it just goes to show how stupid some people can be in the heat of the moment

Yachtsmen 'died in freak accident'
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 00:41   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
What a terrible waste of lives for the sake of basic safety equipment.

Just another reminder to take care and to remember worse things happen on land.

For their families, and your families, life jackets in the cockpit, harness and life line on deck. Each of them expected to be home that evening and were enjoying a day out.
If your boat doesn't have a running line to hook a life line to please consider how it could be done. One man left on board may have saved the rest.

What a waste.
Old 08-08-2008, 00:44   #3

I can't really see 3 people accidentally ending up overboard simultaneously. The sea wasn't rough, there were dinner plates on the table.
It doesn't explain why the boat had fenders deployed either.

I still think there's more to it. But we'll probably never know.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:27   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
The coroner's explanation of the events matches the known facts. Other explanations also match the known facts. According to the above press article, the coroner found no evidence that any other explanation was MORE valid.

What is not said, is that the evidence to support the coroners findings is also not strong.

I would suggest the findings are "convenient" and I have lived on the Queensland coast for over 30 years and have lived in very remote areas of that coast for some years.

I certainly don't know what happened anymore than most people but I do know that strange and unsavoury events (many unpublicized) have occured on this coast and this just MIGHT be another one.

My 2 cents worth.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:47   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Would be interested to know how they came across that scenario.

1)...Was their blood on the boom matching Barnes' DNA?

2)...Were either of the brothers Turnstead known to be candidates for the Darwin Awards?

I doubt if the families would be satisfied with that explanation but I guess it sounds more professional than, “we don’t know!”
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:59   #6

Damn, another crazy sea story.. It is really unfortunate..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:51   #7

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
'I would suggest the findings are "convenient"'

And I thought worse things happened on Land.
Damned Hoodies get everywhere.
Even more distressing for the families if they didn't lose their loved ones while they were doing something they enjoyed but to some petty hoodlums after small change.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I doubt if the families would be satisfied with that explanation but I guess it sounds more professional than, “we don’t know!”
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
'I would suggest the findings are "convenient"'

And I thought worse things happened on Land.
Damned Hoodies get everywhere.
Even more distressing for the families if they didn't lose their loved ones while they were doing something they enjoyed but to some petty hoodlums after small change.
Just for the record, I am not suggesting that these sailors were the victims of "petty hoodlums after small change".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

A disaster is often the culmination of a series of small events, in themsleves and individually of no great drama - but collectively.......

3 fellas falling overboard? Likely? Of course not. Quite feasible? IMO yes - especially when no one onboard thinks it is possible.

Of course not to say they were not boarded by Feral Kiwis or abducted by Aliens........but I guess we will never know
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 18:41   #10

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
"I do know that strange and unsavoury events (many unpublicized) have occured on this coast and this just MIGHT be another one."

What events are you talking about?
Interested, as one who hope to cruise this coast next year!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 18:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
3 fellas falling overboard? Likely? Of course not. Quite feasible? IMO yes - especially when no one onboard thinks it is possible.
But when 2 of the 3 are already overboard, (thus proving it IS possible) wouldn't you, as last man standing, with all 3 lives depending on you, make absolutely CERTAIN you didn't fall overboard?

And it still doesn't explain why the fenders were deployed.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 19:37   #12

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I find the coroner's explanation extremely improbable. The article states "a change in the wind's direction caused the yacht's boom to swing and knock him overboard."

We are looking at a catamaran with a beam of at least sixteen feet. The cockpit has a hard cover so the boom can't hit the person in the cockpit, and if he is standing next to the mast it would have to knock him a distance of at least eight feet to put him in the water. Not very likely. In a heeled monolhull, a swinging boom can easily put a person in the water. But a on a non-heeling catamaran, it's hard to see how it could happen.

I have sailed lots of miles offshore on a catamaran, and the the likelihood of the coroner's scenario being correct is right up there with him being hit by a comet and being knocked overboard.

It doesn't make sense.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
"I do know that strange and unsavoury events (many unpublicized) have occured on this coast and this just MIGHT be another one."

What events are you talking about?
Interested, as one who hope to cruise this coast next year!
Sorry, not willing to go into details as not only is this is a public forum, but it also has some posting rules to comply with.
Suffice to say "money, crime, drugs".
But remember this is Australia, probably one of the safest countries in the world from personal safety point of view but just as there are parts of say Sydney that you are careful in, so there are parts of remote Australia that you are careful in. That said, 99.99999% of the time you are safe.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:33   #14

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sorry, not willing to go into details as not only is this is a public forum, but it also has some posting rules to comply with.
Suffice to say "money, crime, drugs".
But remember this is Australia, probably one of the safest countries in the world from personal safety point of view but just as there are parts of say Sydney that you are careful in, so there are parts of remote Australia that you are careful in. That said, 99.99999% of the time you are safe.
Sorry but its not the top end of WA its middle QLD so your saying they bring drugs past Darwin ect?
I was told it was a see fairy who dident like 3 guys on a boat!!!
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post

Sorry but its not the top end of WA its middle QLD so your saying they bring drugs past Darwin ect?
I was told it was a see fairy who dident like 3 guys on a boat!!!
Well you may be right about the "see fairy" as improbable as it seems, such an explanation does fit the known facts.

I actually don't know that much about the top end of WA but I have lived in the Torres Strait for a couple of years. In my privileged travels of Cape York by light aircraft, small boats and 4WD I have visited areas not normally visited by the general public. I have seen first hand a wrecked yacht that disgorged significant quantities of drugs as it broke up and seen camps where you won't be welcomed with a friendly cuppa if you drop in to say "G'day".

I concede that Townsville is well south of the Cape and it is part of the mainstream coastal communities yet the I know Qld police have raided coastal and island drug camps as far south Rockhampton.

That said, I have cruised the Qld coast for 12 months and lived aboard at various ports for a year or so and always felt 100%.

But this is the internet, I might be a Sydney teenage geek with an over eager imagination.

Over and out.

Tags
accident