Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 18:12   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Talbot,
I've just come from the http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/ site Jimmy Cornell has posted on Noonsite. If I'm reading it right, the import duties for Oz kick in only if the stay exceeds the visa granted, which is up to one year. I think that can be avoided by clearing out and then coming back in. NZ duties seem similar, but I haven't really focused on those regs yet. Need some beta from Wheels on that one, I guess.
Old 12-04-2006, 23:46   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Starfish,
Saltwater crocs are maybe even more dangerous as their freshwater cousins. There is a good pilot book widely available in the Whitsundays - sorry cannot recall title or author - but it sums up the challenges of the Queensland waters pretty well.
I remember in 1985 in the West Australian Kimberlies a US starlet was taken in King George sound whilst swimming from the waterfalls back to the yacht. Big buggers and not to be underestimated. Lots of Oz cruisers set netting around the wire guard lines as they have been known to float and appraise regular deck activity - like going forward to check the anchor each night or having a P off the back before turning in - and have been known to launch themselves up out of the water trying to grab the individual.
Don't mean to put you off in any way - but worth taking care at all times when in croc infested waters.
JOHN
Old 13-04-2006, 00:32   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Saltwater crocs are maybe even more dangerous as their freshwater cousins
No maybe about it. Freshwater crocs are pusseycats by comparison to salties.

I hope starfish is right, when I was checking that data, it was for emigration so length of visa was irrelevant. Really ****me of that I will probably have to sell my boat to pay for the tax when I emigrate.
Old 13-04-2006, 19:32   #19
Bob Norson

Thanks for the further info on Koh Tao Weyalan. I know divers who have been going to Koh Tao for many years but cruisers who dive a little are behind you more serious enthusiasts! Most cruising boats headed for thailand from OZ make right for Phuket. It's better known and admittedly, easier step off to Indian Ocean.

Talbot, yes, thats about the right figure. The value of the boat is established by local surveyer and results can vary widely!! Customs have left the thing open. MAY is the exact word they use. I believe the idea is to give the official power to deter a craft the official may BELIEVE to be a problem without the burden of providing actual reason. The idea is to get as much accomplished prior to entry possible. Take names and dates from any contact and save all corrosponance. Info may be inconsistant from different people. I remember when OZ customs were great, so reasonable and helpful..... ah memories!

Crocs are found in mangoves from central coast and north. I just reported in last edition of TCP, a croc spotted in Mackay marina right next to my boat. Makes diving on the prop a little more interesting. The Islands in Whitsundays are assumed to be OK but their area is expanding because of gov protection and I fell will soon be an issue when someone gets taken near a major tourist area. Thus far the attacks in Queensland have been more remote.

The cruising guide or should I say the bible every cruiser must have in Queensland is by Alan Lucas and is "CRUISING THE CORAL COAST" edition 8 is the most rercent. The guide has all the destination info you need and the important background info such as crocs that you should know. Really one of the best cruising guides produced any where in the world.
Old 13-04-2006, 20:12   #20
Bob Norson

I meant to add that the source for my info on customs is a booklet available from the web titled "Information for yachts traveling to australia" Go to www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/yachts_travel_to_aust050421.pdf Whew!

I was incorrect above when I stated the word MAY was the operative word... it is "OR" but the program wouln't let me edit. See page 9.

Cheers
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22   #21

Boat: Just purchased a Benateau 323 clipper
I went up the great barrier reef about 4 years ago having 'cleared in' at Port Jackson - Sydney Harbour... bit of a long business but a 12 month visa was issued without a problem.

Diving up the Great Barrier Reef was sometimes good... Really big sea snakes and crocks! Sharks were friendly by comparison.

Went round the top into Darwin where before I could go into the Marina they sent (all at their cost) a man to disinfect all the heads and outlets!! Then I was sent round to a travel lift and hauled - examined and put back in the water - apparently there is a 'nasty' weed in the Torres Straights...

From Darwin went to East Timor and then went up through the islands and along the north coast of Flores.. some great diving - better than the barrier reef in many places... only problem (also with barrier reef) is tank fills - I had a small compressor on board! The north of Flores route is also good for Komodo and Rinka and the dragons!! Then into Bali and that's the end of the diving really --- all gets a bit muddy and shallow from there to Singapore and similar to Phuket where it all come good again..

Michael
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:58   #22

The US has now got a free trade agreement with Aussie, and as long as its proven that your boat is built in the US and from US parts, there is no import duty.
Also Manly Marina, about 5 miles south of Brisbane Bar is an excellant berth. I live about 30 minutes away.
Europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:40   #23

Starfish62,No crocs in Brisbane,unless you count Can-do-Camble or Peter Beatie.A lot of bull sharks,they seem to crop up in the funniest places,They're not big but they are aggressive for their size and will allmost have a bite at anything.Waters around Brisbane are not clear by any means close to the shore.Thats all I can tell ya mate.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 15:04   #24

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
How long is the proposed stay in Oz, btw Starfish? I only ask because one could quite easily spend (literally) years exploring Australia.

Of course, every one knows about the Great Barrier Reef and the Whitsunday Islands, etc...but there is plenty more to see.

Tasmania provides some of the most beautiful and uncrowded crusing you could ever wish for.

The entire West Coast of Tasmania is largely unpopulated. Port Davey is one of the most beautiful and extensive natural harbours in the world.

On the East Coast, Freycinet Penninsula is stunning: Wineglass bay is consistently voted in the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world (and you will never see more than about 20 people on it's entire length, plus seeing more than a couple of yachts at anchor is quite unusual). Schouten Passage & Schouten Island provide some beautiful anchorages.

Around the Hobart area, the D'Entrcasteaux Channel provides some superb sheltered crusing, with numerous bays and good anchorages. Hobart itself is a busy working seaport with all the facilities, chandlerys, slipping facilities etc, and is generally a lot cheaper than the rest of Australia...

If you did make it down to Tasmania, I would happily meet you and buy you a beer or two!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 17:47   #25

Back from Oz

Thanks for the kind offer, W, but am back from Oz so the opportunity was lost. For what it's worth, I met some outstanding Tassie's while in Bundaberg and Manly. Good folks all.
Old 01-06-2007, 20:26   #26

Bull sharks not big??!!

Ok. I have to disagree. We went on a shark dive at Begua Lagoon in Figi last summer and those bull sharks were HUGE!! Twelve to Fourteen foot sharks diameter at least 8. These things were amazing. One of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Yes. I will pay to see sharksl Just don't spear and string fish or have lobster in bags around them.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:47   #27

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When we were in OZ, we had no problem with import duties as long as we took the boat out of the water and put it in dry storage. Customs would come along periodically and make sure the boat was on dry land and not being used. We once stored for two years in OZ without a problem. But leaving it in the water and being on the boat was not possible. If the boat is in the water, they want it out of the country at the end of hurriccane season.

Laying up the boat in Oz is a great way to go if you want to work outside Australia for a period of time. You'll have to check with customs for the latest regulations.

Cheers,
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 01:37   #28

Boat: Trismus 37
Read the reports in TCP about the bath that some foreign cruisers are taking for not being aware of the 4day to 10 day requirement that you notify customs in the "communist" state of Queensland by phone, email or fax of your impending arrival, New Zealand customs can be a little zealous but these Ausies are frightening.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote