Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 06:26   #106

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I went to the "world passport" website and although it may have had so validity 20 years ago - a lot of the examples of countries where the "passport" was stamped vary from near 10 to 30 years ago. Ever since 9/11 the world security systems have dramatically changed and are still changing. It is highly unlikely - 99.9% - that any first world country would allow admittance using such a "passport." I say 99.9% because strange thing could happen and the general rule of "never say never." I would suspect that the people who have this type thing are using it just like my young child did on trans-Atlantic flights were "toy" type "flight logs" were given out to all the kids with the Captains signature in it. This "world passport" would be used in as a novelty accompaniment to your national passport which is your official legal passport.
- - In today's world you if your are not from a tight list of first world western countries (eastern first world countries don't always accept western first world and vice versa) without a large, full page sized heat imprinted visa with your photo, etc. contained in it. No more little rubber stamps for "pre-approved visas."
- - Specifically the French - world-wide - are now concerned about your medical insurance coverage especially the "repatriation of remains" - getting your body out of their country. Proof of medical coverage is demanded along with the visa application.
- - First world, western country citizens and some others are still allowed the short term (rarely exceeding 90 days) "visitor" visa upon arrival with proof of confirmed departure travel arrangements. Normally this is always via "air travel" as it is the "given" method of moving around the world. If you can demonstrate the ability to leave by common air travel then they don't worry about whether you come and go by boat, freighter, or jet-ski.
- - Resolutions passed by the U.N. or any other "non-national entity" have validity only to the extent that "real" national governments want to honor them which is also a variable with time and the political flux of world politics.
- - So in reality, you have "NO right" to world travel unless granted by the politicians of a country. And that can vary with time and world events.
- - The "safe harbor" provisions of the International Maritime Treaty used to allow 10 days for repairs, weather, whatever and you had to remain under "quarantine" rules. After 9/11 that has been eroded back to "zero days" in some countries and in others there have been major additional insurance and inspections requirements imposed. It has caused some, not so minor, squabbles in the maritime shipping industry especially amongst 3rd world countries whose ships are sometimes not so new or well maintained. That situation is still evolving.
- - Within the confines/borders of your home country you may pontificate about "rights" but out here in the "real" world I wouldn't suggest getting too high up on your soap box as you may find yourself being cut down to size not too gently.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:34   #107
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - Within the confines/borders of your home country you may pontificate about "rights" but out here in the "real" world I wouldn't suggest getting too high up on your soap box as you may find yourself being cut down to size not too gently.
Lmao... you can say that again mate....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:22   #108

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
As I suspected.......Davidoldjersy's goat would have a better chance using this passport than any human!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18   #109
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
As I suspected.......Davidoldjersy's goat would have a better chance using this passport than any human!!!
In the UK a pet can get a passport:-

Defra, UK - Wildlife and pets - Pets and horses - Travelling with pets

Not sure if Goats included

BTW Passports for Pets a policy first proposed by (the late) Screaming Lord Sutch of the Official Monster Raving Looney Party.

Sutch's policies over the years also included subsidized heated lavatory seats for the aged; lowering the voting age from 21 to 18; legalized commercial radio and all-day pub openings. All but one of these have since become realities.

Screaming Lord Sutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lord Sutch where are you now that your country really needs you??

(apologies to the Mods for the politics )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 08:46   #110

Bond needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
I have read that in some islands they attempt to charge you money to be refunded when you leave. What happens if you dont have that much money, or refuse to pay?

Would it be better to not check in, and if they question you, say you just arrived?
I was told by a cruising Danish couple that just returned from there saying they bought a special Bond return airfare package before they started on the trip in Denmark. So they all the proper papers when they got there with no extra fees and no money exchange cost, about $360.USD
solosailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 09:09   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosailormike View Post
I was told by a cruising Danish couple that just returned from there saying they bought a special Bond return airfare package before they started on the trip in Denmark. So they all the proper papers when they got there with no extra fees and no money exchange cost, about $360.USD
Ahh... these canny Europeans... old world sense vs new world brash... lol

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-05-2010, 06:20   #112

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Have you looked at what it costs foreigners to get visas to get into the US? The bond in FP is only for non-EU people. It guarantees that if you end up in the country illegally, there is enough money to fly you back to where you came. If you violate the immigration and custom laws, they are free to confiscate your boat, just like in any other country. If you show up without enough for a bond, I'm sure they will give you a very short visa and then tell you to get the hell out of their country, SVP. Seems reasonable.

Paul L
According the the Visa Home its about $140.00
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 07:02   #113

World Citizen....left over from the hippie dope smoking days.

I, in addition to not believing in ownership of land (countries), do not recognize private ownership either. I will be by next week to borrow your boat (free of course) and to heck with your claim of ownership. It was constructed from materials of my world, so I own it as much as you.

On the other hand, I believe I can own whatever I want and defend it, so if you come near my paradise, I will resort to shooting you. I will defend my patch of earth, my neighbors will defend theirs and so on. Wait, why don't we declare a million square miles of land ours and keep out all the riffraff.

I don't believe in world citizens as some don't believe in borders. I guess we have a conflict. My resolution is exterminate these 'world citizens'. Others may have a different resolution. Guess it comes down to who has the bigger army. Welcome to the planet earth.

If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen. When in Rome do as Romans do. blah blah blah
Old 17-05-2010, 07:04   #114

I cannot find any url for "According the the Visa Home its about $140.00" Normally, these type websites are selling a service involving help in obtaining a "visa" for long term stays and/or if the person(s) are nationals from countries who are not eligible for "tourist visa upon arrival" situations. They do not get involved in "financial bonds" for arriving yachts.
- - I deal in getting personal visas for my wife to countries where she is not on the eligible list for "on arrival visas" and all the paperwork can normally be done yourself without having to pay money to a "service agency." The fee for filing/applying for a French Outlying Islands visitor visa varies but is about US$140 (it mimics the USA visitor visa fee).
- - In the application for such a visa you must list financial ability to support yourself while visiting along with medical coverage including repatriation insurance.
- - French Polynesia is unique in that it allows visitors without a round trip airline ticket to enter the country - if - they demonstrate the financial ability to again leave the country, the standard being an airline ticket back to your home country. This can be easily done - if - you actually have the financial resources by means already discussed in this thread.
- -I believe the OP was asking what happens if you show up and do not have the financial resources to demonstrate your ability to leave the country again or just plain refuse to pay. That is simple, you are told to leave and if you refuse you are arrested and deported - normally without your boat which is confiscated and used to pay for your deportation. Depending upon your attitude, demeanor, and situation (distress) you may be allowed to refuel, buy food/water while under "quarantine" and then leave. That is the maritime custom contained in the international maritime treaties/agreements, etc. sometimes known as "safe harbor/refuge provisions."
- - In any case, it is not advisable to stop at such countries as F.P. and others if you do not have the necessary resources to satisfy their requirements. You can bypass and stop at less expensive islands. Basically once you have arrived in the F.P. island area you are already 1/2 the way across the Pacific and from there on are hundreds of other islands reasonably close. There are also plenty of "uninhabited" islands where you might stop and replenish water if natural springs/streams exist or you need to make repairs.
- - Fatu Iva in the Marquises is such a popular stop but cruisers there must "run for it" when word that the French officials are going to visit to check "papers."
- - If planing to transit the Pacific without sufficient "financial resources" it would be advisable to be sure to have food, water and supplies on board for at least 3 months at sea. Then you would not be put in a distress situation of your own making until you can reach a low-cost/free entry island or island group. I have friends transiting the Pacific now in that group of cruisers and they spent over 2 months at sea as they had to bypass the Galapagos. F.P. was a serious problem for them but the local officials had a "soft spot in their heart" for these cruisers' home country and let them through without a bond. But I wouldn't bet on that happening to you.
Old 17-05-2010, 07:06   #115

Boat: Clark, San Juan, 26
Thumbs up So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Like it or not, entering another country's borders is an honor not a right for a foreign citizen. The country gets to bestow that privilege on whomever they please or refuse for any reason they decide and they also can make up any laws they want. It's their country.

PS - Jim Cate - I think we were typing at the same time

AMEN!!!! You just don't get to decide what their laws are.
Old 17-05-2010, 07:08   #116

Someone mentioned the cost of getting a Visa to the states.

I am not a US citizen, but I found this page. I could be wrong on the costs, but it was just a quick check and this is what I found.

Visa Home
Old 17-05-2010, 07:13   #117
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck1955 View Post
World Citizen....left over from the hippie dope smoking days.

I, in addition to not believing in ownership of land (countries), do not recognize private ownership either. I will be by next week to borrow your boat (free of course) and to heck with your claim of ownership. It was constructed from materials of my world, so I own it as much as you.

On the other hand, I believe I can own whatever I want and defend it, so if you come near my paradise, I will resort to shooting you. I will defend my patch of earth, my neighbors will defend theirs and so on. Wait, why don't we declare a million square miles of land ours and keep out all the riffraff.

I don't believe in world citizens as some don't believe in borders. I guess we have a conflict. My resolution is exterminate these 'world citizens'. Others may have a different resolution. Guess it comes down to who has the bigger army. Welcome to the planet earth.

If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen. When in Rome do as Romans do. blah blah blah
WOW......!!!
DUDE.... Your heavy man.....
"Don't Bogart that joint mah friend.....
pass it over to me.....
Little Feat..

Old 17-05-2010, 07:17   #118

Well, because some do not recognize sovereign rights, does not mean their ideology has any sway when they come to me and I believe in my sovereign rights.
In reality I don't believe in 'bearing arms' so I would not really attack anyone. I am an advocate of the Beatles, All You Need is Love (not laws). LOL
Old 17-05-2010, 07:21   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck1955 View Post
Someone mentioned the cost of getting a Visa to the states.
I am not a US citizen, but I found this page. I could be wrong on the costs, but it was just a quick check and this is what I found.
Visa Home
Yes, that is the USA Department of State master website for Visas and visitors. It takes some in depth exploration of that site to get to what you want. You will notice a sidebar with the "Fees and Reciprocity Tables" which is where the application fees vary with your home country.
- - However, really deeply buried is the requirement that even citizens of Visa Waiver countries must have a "full Visa (B1/B2)" in their passport if they arrive or depart via a private yacht. This can be a real pain in the tush and wallet in some locations as the USA Consulate services do not know how to deal with world cruisers. In other places like Barbados, it is a simple and quick process as they have a constant stream of boats arriving from Europe and beyond and are quite familiar with processing the visa for them.
Old 17-05-2010, 07:41   #120

According to Noonsite:

"Bond: Since the end of 1999 citizens of EU countries arriving by yacht are no longer required to post a bond (Article 3 of law no. 590 of 24 November 1999). Each person from a non-EU country on board the yacht must deposit in a French Polynesian bank a sum of money equivalent to a one-way air ticket back to their home country.
Yachts staying only a short period (up to one month) may be able to have the bond requirement waived. The bond can be avoided by buying tickets for flights back to one's own country. The unused tickets can be refunded, although one may have to pay a handling charge of approximately 5 per cent."

Noonsite: French Polynesia

Also, surely a VISA cost is different from FEES at port of entry?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia