Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 15:48   #76
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"But it is all right to call the French Nazi's and Facists?"
That would depend on whether one was referring to Vichy France, no?

To the Welsh they're probably all damned Saxons, or close enough, anyway. Genocide and conquest, the world's oldest hobbies.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 16:05   #77

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LMAO... sounds just like The 'Good Ole US of A.... as I entered Newark I was asked by the guy checking the passports to go down a passage to an office at the end.. knocked on the door and a voice told me to "come in".. There were two gentlemen in there chewing on 'Sub's' and reading their papers... I explained I'd been told to come here... a grunt was the reply and they carried on munching while I stood there for 15 minutes...
One of them finished, looked up and said "So whadya want in the US.. why are you here"... I explained I'd come to buy a boat and had an overnight wait to link on to New Bern....
He then told me "Well you've got ninety days here bud then get out or we'll bust ya... we like busting folks" tossed my UK passport towards me and told me to leave...
Ever felt welcome...??
Needless to say since that day I've little time for Americans whinging on about how hard done by they are....
Reap as you have Sown buddies....
Isn't Brent Canadian?
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 16:31   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Isn't Brent Canadian?
LOL... in that case he should learn French and claim he's from Quebec... draw on the ole Gallic ties....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 14:38   #79
cruiser

Quote:
LMAO... sounds just like The 'Good Ole US of A.... as I entered Newark I was asked by the guy checking the passports to go down a passage to an office at the end.. knocked on the door and a voice told me to "come in".. There were two gentlemen in there chewing on 'Sub's' and reading their papers... I explained I'd been told to come here... a grunt was the reply and they carried on munching while I stood there for 15 minutes...
One of them finished, looked up and said "So whadya want in the US.. why are you here"... I explained I'd come to buy a boat and had an overnight wait to link on to New Bern....
He then told me "Well you've got ninety days here bud then get out or we'll bust ya... we like busting folks" tossed my UK passport towards me and told me to leave...
Ever felt welcome...??
Needless to say since that day I've little time for Americans whinging on about how hard done by they are....
Since the fear mongers have sold USanians their paranoia , European tourism to the eastern US has dropped 40% and has increased 40% to Canada. They consider the US one of the hardest countries to get into, so don't bother much any more.
Thanks for the business.

Good point boatman.

Quebecois get no breaks in French Polynesia.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 15:30   #80

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Ever felt welcome...??

I am truly sorry to hear that story.

It sounds unbelievable to me but I must assume it true to hear your bitterness.

I wish there was something I could have done to interfere and I think a lot here would feel the same way. I am personlly embarassed by that incident.

I know things are a lot more strict now and many are new at it. No excuse really but other countries have had these things in place far longer and know how to enforce and behave at the same time.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 16:20   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I am truly sorry to hear that story.

It sounds unbelievable to me but I must assume it true to hear your bitterness.

I wish there was something I could have done to interfere and I think a lot here would feel the same way. I am personlly embarassed by that incident.

I know things are a lot more strict now and many are new at it. No excuse really but other countries have had these things in place far longer and know how to enforce and behave at the same time.
Therapy...
Sorry if I came across as bitter.. I did not mean to.. I'm not.. it was just one guys story about "Border Hassles"...
Personally I find the whole US Terror Alert System hilarious and easy to bypass from my personal experiences.. just not by air..
I would relate some of the things that have happened to me during "High Alerts" but this is not the post for it I guess...
Just suffice it to say that to my mind/observation they're aimed more at keeping you guys wound uptight than keeping terrorism at bay...
I would if the need/opportunity arose, return to the US for a boat again... and put up with the indignities for a purpose... but for a holiday?
The object was to illustrate to you guys what we have to put up with in response to the gripes often heard on here from a few of the Americans who are or want to visit other countries.
**** Happens.. its not unique to Americans

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 03-05-2010, 16:23   #82

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I think the temporary visa option sounds pretty appealing. I mean, who wants thousands of dollars in a currency you can't use?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 16:28   #83

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Therapy...
Sorry if I came across as bitter.. I did not mean to.. I'm not.. it was just one guys story about "Border Hassles"...
Personally I find the whole US Terror Alert System hilarious and easy to bypass from my personal experiences.. just not by air..
I would relate some of the things that have happened to me during "High Alerts" but this is not the post for it I guess...
Just suffice it to say that to my mind/observation they're aimed more at keeping you guys wound uptight than keeping terrorism at bay...
I would if the need/opportunity arose, return to the US for a boat again... and put up with the indignities for a purpose... but for a holiday?
The object was to illustrate to you guys what we have to put up with in response to the gripes often heard on here from a few of the Americans who are or want to visit other countries.
Yes to the bold wisdom above. Sorry for the hassles. America the Beautiful hasn't been for a while now, since we contracted a nasty case of fascist creep. I suppose it's always something like this as Imperial power begins to wane. Saludos, Jon
Old 03-05-2010, 16:31   #84

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:

Agreed.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 16:49   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Checked out the Lat 38 site and found this link that should answer a lot of questions.
//www.pacificpuddlejump.com/updates.html

Try this: http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/updates.html
Old 03-05-2010, 18:01   #86

Boat: C&C 34
Sorry about your border hassle....

Quote:

Sorry to hear you had problems, you obviously sound like someone who should be welcomed into the country. Newark is not know as the hospitality capital of the USA....

Could not agree with you more about the terror alert system. I work at a regional airport that has a "High Terror Alert" with no full time police force??? The signs look great though. Bet they would not give you a problem if you could sail over the Mexican border...

By the way do you know the most common saying in the French army?

I give up...
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 18:26   #87

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Cat sailors are not human.
Yeah. I hear they actually LIKE vanilla.
Old 03-05-2010, 18:46   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Sorry to hear you had problems, you obviously sound like someone who should be welcomed into the country. Newark is not know as the hospitality capital of the USA....

Could not agree with you more about the terror alert system. I work at a regional airport that has a "High Terror Alert" with no full time police force??? The signs look great though. Bet they would not give you a problem if you could sail over the Mexican border...

By the way do you know the most common saying in the French army?

I give up...
Lmao... don't have to go that far south... Beaufort Inlets just fine... CG/Military base's make it so much more fun as you sail on by....

Old 03-05-2010, 18:50   #89
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Yeah. I hear they actually LIKE vanilla.
yeah? she looks like she would like vanilla...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 20:36   #90

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Hey Boatman...Just ask us west coasties what we generally think of east coasties manors....its a different country...LOL..Land on the other coast next time...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia