Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 22:01   #61

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Generous and charming.
But it is all right to call the French Nazi's and Facists?
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 00:57   #62

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Not many people jump to defend the French.
I've read some of their military history and not even a lot of French people do.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49   #63
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I've read some of their military history and not even a lot of French people do.
100 years of defeats. I dunno if I would be reading it if I was French either

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:58   #64

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Come on.
Try being a convicted felon and getting into Canada, or Germany, or Mexico, or or or...........
The US is actually less draconian than most of the rest of countries. Well....maybe was since 9-11. Seems tougher all over since then.
what absolute nonsense....ask ANYONE that flies in through LAX. Most other countries ask you if you have been convicted in the last 5 years....you don't get punished at 70 years old for something you did when you were 21.
You are an american so you will never have to go through what others do to have to get into your country.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:04   #65
Long Range Cruiser

If it was something that occured a long time ago and travel was on the plan, couldn't the person write to their authorities and have the record expunged?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:22   #66
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
100 years of defeats. I dunno if I would be reading it if I was French either
The French, the people without whom their would be no.............USA.

Strange how some easily forget
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:35   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If you have any criminal record, no matter how minor or how long ago the offense, you may be refused a visa or entry to the United States.

If you are ineligible to enter the United States, you may apply for a waiver of ineligibility. This will involve completing Form I-192: Advance Permission to Enter the United States. This form is available from DHS/CBP from CBP at either a U.S Port of Entry, or at any Canadian airport with a U.S. preclearance facility (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montréal-Trudeau). The form(s) can also be downloaded from the Internet at the USCIS web site.

Non-Canadian citizens with any criminal record, or a deportation or removal order, must qualify for a visa in the usual manner, and then apply for the waiver at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Goto ➥
Criminal Ineligibility • U.S. Consular Services in Canada

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:15   #68

Boat: Currently boatless
Canada will refuse entry if you have a felony on your record and in Canada driving drunk is a felony while it isn't (unless you hurt someone) in much of the US. This can be quite a surprise to some Americans who are told that yes, according to Canada, they are felons.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:25   #69
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
You are an american so you will never have to go through what others do to have to get into your country.
Well of course not. We are entering our own country after all. I assure you that Kiwi Nationals returning home have no problem either.

For the record New Zealand and the USA have equitable, reciprocal, no visa requirements.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41   #70

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
But it is all right to call the French Nazi's and Facists?
Moi? I just said the FP authorities weren't being warm and fuzzy. I reserve nazi for the nazis, and fascist for the places where governments and big business run the roost. I have nothing against the French. My grandfather on my mother's side was French. And who doesn't like French cooking, French women, Provence and Paris?

It just seemed to me that the OP asked what I think he assumed would be an innocent question among his cruiser buddies and got stepped on. No need to be mean, n'est pas?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:45   #71
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Look guys,

The world is full of stories about folks traveling from one place to another and having problems crossing borders. It's also full of nations warring with each other. There is also a huge history of nations coming to other nations aid. Sometimes the same two nations are involved in all three.

Let's not demonize anyone here.

We are all sailors and all humans.

Be nice.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:57   #72
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
We are all sailors and all humans.
Cat sailors are not human.

Old 02-05-2010, 14:08   #73
cruiser

French polynesia is suffering a huge economic problem due to a crash in the tourist economy. No surprise when the bureacracy discourages cruisers .I know a lot of cruisers, including myself, who do a huge detour around French Polynesia due to the bond ********. We used to be able to spend the hurricane season there, now they kick everyone out after three months , to avoid expenses of hurricanes dragging boats . Does that put them ahead of having cruisers spending money there year round as opposed to the rare incidence of hurricanes and cruisers costing them a bit?
If your parents or grand parents are from Europe, and it gets you a European pasport thern they can't kick you out as you are then a EU resident.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 15:34   #74
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I think FP is doing a good thing: keeping all that US riff raff out. ;-))

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 15:34   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
French polynesia is suffering a huge economic problem due to a crash in the tourist economy. No surprise when the bureacracy discourages cruisers .I know a lot of cruisers, including myself, who do a huge detour around French Polynesia due to the bond ********. We used to be able to spend the hurricane season there, now they kick everyone out after three months , to avoid expenses of hurricanes dragging boats . Does that put them ahead of having cruisers spending money there year round as opposed to the rare incidence of hurricanes and cruisers costing them a bit?
If your parents or grand parents are from Europe, and it gets you a European pasport thern they can't kick you out as you are then a EU resident.
LMAO... sounds just like The 'Good Ole US of A.... as I entered Newark I was asked by the guy checking the passports to go down a passage to an office at the end.. knocked on the door and a voice told me to "come in".. There were two gentlemen in there chewing on 'Sub's' and reading their papers... I explained I'd been told to come here... a grunt was the reply and they carried on munching while I stood there for 15 minutes...
One of them finished, looked up and said "So whadya want in the US.. why are you here"... I explained I'd come to buy a boat and had an overnight wait to link on to New Bern....
He then told me "Well you've got ninety days here bud then get out or we'll bust ya... we like busting folks" tossed my UK passport towards me and told me to leave...
Ever felt welcome...??
Needless to say since that day I've little time for Americans whinging on about how hard done by they are....
Reap as you have Sown buddies....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia