Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2010, 18:12   #16

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
I am sure that there are "money changers", businesses that will exchange currencies, in these island countries for a fee. I have only visited SE Asia and they seem to be everywhere there. Look at it this way, your $3000 bond when returned to you will be 275,000.00cpf....you will be rich!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 18:12   #17

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
While I agree cruisers should be sensitive to the local laws and customs, the bond does seem burdensome, especially considering the experience of some who have had to wait 6 weeks or more for the refund. That refund coming in local currency is an economic decision to encourage more local spending I would guess.

There is a way to avoid the bond, by joining the puddle jump sponsored by Latitude 38 each year in March or April, leaving from Mexico's left coast and arriving to much hoopla and partying. Lat 38 has negotiated a waiving of the bond for participants. I'm not sure, but it may have already occurred for this year.
I think you may have been misinformed about having to wait six weeks that was not my experience. When you apply to leave you are given a form which you take to the bank which is where you lodge the bond and it is returned on the spot before you way anchor.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 18:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
I am sure that there are "money changers", businesses that will exchange currencies, in these island countries for a fee. I have only visited SE Asia and they seem to be everywhere there. Look at it this way, your $3000 bond when returned to you will be 275,000.00cpf....you will be rich!
$3000? where did you come up with that figure? As I stated earlier it is = to a one way flight to your country of origin (passport)
Old 29-04-2010, 18:21   #19

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
$3000? where did you come up with that figure? As I stated earlier it is = to a one way flight to your country of origin (passport)
I only travel first class!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 19:12   #20

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
I think you may have been misinformed about having to wait six weeks that was not my experience. When you apply to leave you are given a form which you take to the bank which is where you lodge the bond and it is returned on the spot before you way anchor.
IIRC, MarkJ had the delayed return experience. I don't know the circumstances. Frankly, given that no other destination I know of requires this bond shows it to be discriminatory against all below solid middle class means. Yes, do come, give us your money and then leave. Not warm and fuzzy is it? Perhaps it's just me, but if I go that way, I may give FP a pass. It has the aura of a theme park filled with post card views. I do imagine that sells it a somewhat short, but that the impression I've garnered.
Old 29-04-2010, 19:37   #21

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
What will they do? Whatever the hell they want, it's their country. They'll treat you like a criminal, just like we do to people who get caught entering the country illegally.Think about it. They have tropical paradise with limited resources and a pretty high cost of living. If they let every penniless scoundrel that wanted to drift in with no capacity to leave come there the whole place would fill up with losers from around the world, begging or stealing to get by, taking the jobs that locals need, burdening public services, etc., etc.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 19:55   #22

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
There is a way to avoid the bond, by joining the puddle jump sponsored by Latitude 38 each year in March or April, leaving from Mexico's left coast and arriving to much hoopla and partying. Lat 38 has negotiated a waiving of the bond for participants. I'm not sure, but it may have already occurred for this year.
They weren't able to get the bond waiver for this year's Puddle Jump
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 20:32   #23

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
They weren't able to get the bond waiver for this year's Puddle Jump
Totally a drag! Ya See what I'm saying. I was thinking of doing it next year. (tongue out and spewing slzeesgsh! to Frenchy Polonesia.)

Perhaps they'll sort it out or perhaps the Gov'mint saw a diminution of revenue and nixed it. Are you guys going that way?
Old 29-04-2010, 20:46   #24

Boat: Currently boatless
We watch the Yahoo Puddlejump group right now but the earliest we'll make the jump is 2012 and I would think 2013 is more likely. We start cruising in 46 days (woohoo!) but we are doing 13 months in BC and WA before heading south and I think we'll want a year in Mexico before heading west.

I would *love* if the Puddlejump had the bond exemption worked out by then but I'm not holding my breath.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 20:53   #25

Boat: Swan 56
Ask yourself:

How much does it cost a French Polynesian to visit my country by boat?

And how much of that does he get back when he leaves?
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 21:07   #26

I've always heard that the FP is very costly.. So not really shocked.. Plus, if I was living in a remote paradise, I would want it to be a burden on other people trying to possibly ruin it with excess bodies, etc.. I would think that if that was your plan to visit there, just plan for it like any other place on your agenda. Just plan and budget for it and really enjoy it..

Not to start crap, but I do find it ironic that someone from the states is calling FP nazi like.. Considering what's going on there and with all of the reports of how a lot of people are constantly being hassled for far less.. Again, just what I've heard from other cruisers...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 21:32   #27

Maybe those who do not want to pay should head off to a cheaper area one with pirates, very low indiginous standard of living causeing violence, theft etc? The other bit I do not get is it is a bond not a charge you get it back so is the real problem more an attitude to any thing you have to pay for? Better cross Australia off as well as the fines for not entering correctly 96 hour notification will make FP look very cheap indeed and you dont get it back and there are charges as well!
Old 29-04-2010, 21:41   #28

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I am still interested in visiting the islands, but I should try to only go to the ones without banks!

Since I think air travel is wrong and I would refuse to board a plane. Saying the bond pays for air fare makes no sense to me. Why return to somewhere else when you are already home?

I don't really think of it as "their" country any more than mine. We are all citizens of the earth and I have every right to be there or anywhere else. Whether or not I have money is irrelevant. I should get a world passport so they don't know I am a US citizen.

There are non-US citizens anchored in federal waters who are "freeloading" (picking up the free food the government gives away every month) and it is a great thing for them, and I am happy to see it!

It's true there are a lot of bad police here in the states, but I don't like them either. They asked me for a photo ID here (california) and I told them to **** off, and they had to go, but not without threatening me with a bunch of "police talk"

I don't believe in illegal immigrants, anyone should be allowed to come here for as long as they want and have all the rights of anyone else.

Good news to hear that I won't go to jail if I can't pay the bond when I check in. I might even get a short term visa (noonsite says 28 days is possible sometimes) but worst case I can just leave.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 21:50   #29

Boat: Swan 56
heh heh heh

Boy are you in for a surprise
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 23:13   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
What happens if you dont have that much money, or refuse to pay?
We didn't know about this fee at all tgill we arrived. It was $1,800 each so $3,600 they wanted and I just didn't have anything like that in my account. The wanted it in CASH. They pointed me to the bank over the road. A letter of funds, or travel insurance would NOT suffice. CASH COLD FOLDING CASH.

We arrived in the Marquesas after a 21 day passage from galapagos and we were totally out of fresh water (we now have plumbed salt water so we use far less fresh) and food.

Getting to Marquesas is 3,200 nms and the longest trip you will do in your crusing life.

We arrived and went to the Police station where the female officer told us the fee and I said I just didnt have it. And I asked what I could do, if I could stay for a few days without clearing in so I could get water. She said "I can't advise you what to do. the law says you must clear in."

To make it worse there is no water at the Hiva Oa anchorage.

We stayed about 3 days without clearing in and then went to another island which we knew had water on a commercial dock for free. We also knew it was not a port of entry and the police there were NOT ALLOWD to check boats' papers into their island. this is so cleared in boats don't have to clear in to cach island they visit.
So we thought we were pretty safe ducking in for water.
Well we were loading with water with the local copper pulls us and says he wants to see our papers... we said we were too busy and would anchor and come visit him,.

Of course we fisinhed loading water and shot off I was expecting a navy ship to start following or something. That 12 miles to international waters were a long 12 nms!

So we had another 1,600nms (?) to go to Tonga.

We missed all French Polynesia We will pick it up next time, but wow we needed to be flexable to just head to sea again after such a long passage.

This is one of the reasons why I slag off at people wanting to sail the world for $500. It just can't be done! Unless you want to do it non-stop. And whats the damn value of sailing the Pacific and not seeing French Polynesia???????

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia