Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 07:44   #121

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckosenator View Post
I have read that in some islands they attempt to charge you money to be refunded when you leave. What happens if you dont have that much money, or refuse to pay?

Would it be better to not check in, and if they question you, say you just arrived?

PLEASE STAY IN PORT. Yu are not mature enough to interact with other cultures, and basically sound like the type of cruiser that makes it difficult for those of us that respect other countries and peoples.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 07:59   #122
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ok Folks... another Boatman Ramble... nothing to do with FP but more to do with courtesy and how it can affect attitudes..
During my time in Oriental I made a few friends and when time came for me to head off they suggested I take advantage of the Town Dock where boats can tie up for free for 48hrs while they stock up etc.. so that's where I headed.. tied up then finished stores and last minute bits and bobs...
Two days later I went to head out and found I could not move.. the peculiar wind tide effect of the Neuse/Pamlico had left me sitting on the bottom.
5 days later I was still stuck..
I'd strolled down to Sailcraft B/yard to have a chat with some mates during their lunch break.
While I was there the 'Man in Black' (local sheriff) arrived in search of the "******* who'd been abusing Town Law".
I was in the toilet at the time and he approached my friends and in response to their explanations he responded with "I don't give a good goddamn.. he'd better shift that boat or I'll hit him with a $1000 fine" etc, etc. basically he scared the sh*t out of them...
They saw me come out of the loo, pointed me out to him and he came stomping toward me... looked like John Bloody Wayne... in black stetson, shirt, jeans and boots and a good two inches taller than my 6'2.... built like a brick sh*thouse and a face like thunder...
As we met I stuck my hand out and in my best "Brit" said ... "Hello.. my names Phil, pleased to meet you... " His jaw dropped slightly.. and he shook my hand then asked if it was my damn boat at the dock...
"God yes" I replied.. "I'm really sorry about that.. I know I've overstayed but I cant get of.. this rivers weird... the water went out 5 days ago and wont come back... I hope I'm not causing any problems... am I..??"
"No No... none at all... your fine Phil.. stay as long as it takes... hahahaha... got trapped by the wind effect huh... hahahaha... no problems... I'll see you around."
With that he turned and walked away...
Ann and Pete who'd be watching this were gobsmacked... "What did you say to him... he's never acted like that before.."
"Man I thought he'd bust you for sure.. he nearly ripped our heads off..."
It was another three days before I got away... with a "Good Luck and Godspeed" from 'The Man in Black'

Moral; Courtesy costs nothing and the rewards are often beyond measure

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 15:57   #123

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahh... these canny Europeans... old world sense vs new world brash... lol
How about we meet halfway and say Old World Smug and New World Brash?
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 16:00   #124
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
How about we meet halfway and say Old World Smug and New World Brash?
Lmao... depends what we're drinking... meet anyone halfway if the vice is right....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-05-2010, 16:43   #125

Boat: Compass 47
After reading through this thread it is easy to see why thre is a bond in FP.
Panaseaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 23:42   #126

Re: What if You Can't Pay the Bond in French Polynesia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
You know that French Polynesia is not a country. It is part of France and thus a EU member. The irony of this is that the bond and 90 day visa limit does not apply to the other EU members. So, even though there are tens of thousands of American solders buried in France, and still more in other EU states, when a German flagged vessel arrives in FP it can stay as long as it wishes -- while American vessels are sent packing after 90 days. Considering why all those American's died you've got to admit that is ironic.

Please don't get me wrong! I have spent a lot of time in many countries in Europe, Asia, and Africa where I've made many friends and had wonderful times. It is just when things like these bond and visa issues come up it would be really nice if the EU would treat American's more like friends.

I'm not sure why the body count of bodies in a foreign country would constitute an open borders policy forever thereafter?? As already stated, do you realize the nonsense that the US puts on foreigners to do anything before even arriving?? I can say this because I am a Veteran and my wife was turned away at the border because her paperwork was not perfect.. Mind you, this was prepared by the geniuses of the appropriate US departments...

So trust me, every country has their own version of nonsense..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 03:53   #127

A book I'm reading (Exploring The Deep Pacific, Helen Raitt, 56-10089) is about a research expedition by Scripps Institute of Oceanography in 1952-53. While in Tahiti, the ship's scientists were invited to dine with the governor and others in executive positions in the govt.

The governor mentioned how many ships leave without a full crew because from nearly every ship there are a handful of crew who don't wish to depart. It had become a real problem for Tahiti. He finished by cautioning the scientists to not take any crew that hadn't arrived with the two ships.

The lead scientist from the research vessel responded by saying that in just the last 3 days he had denied five offers made by persons to ship out and 'work their way' back home. Only one was a US citizen. I add that for the benefit of those of a provincial attitude, who chastise one country in deference to another.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 05:06   #128
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What if You Can't Pay the Bond in French Polynesia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
I'm not sure why the body count of bodies in a foreign country would constitute an open borders policy forever thereafter?? As already stated, do you realize the nonsense that the US puts on foreigners to do anything before even arriving?? I can say this because I am a Veteran and my wife was turned away at the border because her paperwork was not perfect.. Mind you, this was prepared by the geniuses of the appropriate US departments...

So trust me, every country has their own version of nonsense..
LOL... I sometimes wonder whether we should have a 'Thanks Japan Day'.... if it had not been for them there might have been a 3rd Reich in Europe...
No disrespect to those who fell... just a chortle at the expectations of their descendants... maybe in time they'll learn what we 'Brits' learned over the centuries... everyone resents having to be rescued.. and being beat really pisses folk off...

Old 29-06-2013, 06:09   #129

Boat: Skookum 53'

Even in the late '70s there was a requirement to have sufficient funds back to port of origin when visiting FP, They were very gracious at Nuka Hiva, and all the other islands that we visited. The whole thing with borders is so one rich guy can differentiate his stuff from another rich guy's stuff. They make up the flags and stuff, so the serfs will die for the cause, and God is on their side.
It would be neat if someone on the WWW could set up some kind of bond fund, and you put your money in and then they would have an agreement with the different countries to insure passage back to port of origination. You could retrieve your money at one of many banking institutions anywhere in the world in a currency you specify at the time of withdrawal or returned to your account via the WWW. Just a thought.
Old 29-06-2013, 09:37   #130
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

shadow-
"I'm not sure why the body count of bodies in a foreign country would constitute an open borders policy forever thereafter??"
That's call gratitude. Or, ingratitude.

" I am a Veteran and my wife was turned away at the border because her paperwork was not perfect.."
Perhaps you've heard the saying, if the Army wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one? They used to let veterans keep their service weapons, too. Times change and even "war brides" need paperwork.

I wonder, has the "EU" managed to outlast the League of Nations yet?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 09:56   #131

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It just isn't that hard to deal with the FP bond. We used travelers checks in 1990. If you got your funds in French Polynesian francs, you'd possibly lose less on the exchange, but the ultimate cost was trivial compared to the costs of the vessel and the benefits of the journey.

Ann
Old 29-06-2013, 10:07   #132
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I wonder, has the "EU" managed to outlast the League of Nations yet?
Depends when you consider the EU started, if counting it's predecessors the EC and the EEC - then yes. If not, then no .

No doubt the EU will implode at some point (all "empires" do), but won't be in my lifetime. The cost? peanuts compared to "us" starting another world war .

Grateful never lasts forever (it's a human nature thing) and IMO nor should it (especially when the other party is actually acting in only self interest - side benefits to others purely coincidental). IIRC there is one country (no names ) who were so ungrateful for the country that got built for them they stole it. and keep moaning about the previous owners several hundred years later .......stolen I might add with the help of the French (who no longer seem to get much credit or thanks for that - no open door visas either). As I said, no names............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 10:09   #133

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
It just isn't that hard to deal with the FP bond. We used travelers checks in 1990. If you got your funds in French Polynesian francs, you'd possibly lose less on the exchange, but the ultimate cost was trivial compared to the costs of the vessel and the benefits of the journey.
+1

We've been in and out of Tahiti numerous times, had crew fly in or fly out, all the complications, and it has never been difficult. Does it cost you a little in both time and money? Yes. But, if you can't live with that you could forego the visit

Only time I ever had an issue was one time I flew in, on a one-way ticket, to deliver a boat back. Had all the appropriate paperwork, including a pre-issued bond by the skipper, and airport immigration wouldn't let me in without a return ticket. The nice Tahitian lady at the ticket counter sold me a full price ticket with a wink and a nod, and then refunded it to me entirely 15 minutes later after I had produced it for the immigration man and he let me in.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:19   #134

Boat: Catalina 38

Buying a Y fare airline ticket seems like a senseable solution. If that does not work for you, perhaps you should contact a bond letter provider and see if they will write you a bond. I did just that and it was $70 and just took a few minutes. I suppose its like a bail bond. They usually charge 10%; its a safe bet that $700 will get you to LAX if the bond agent must perform.

cma-cgm.com is one of the approved agents. If you visit the official government website you will find a complete list.
dcmeigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:37   #135
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What if You Can't Pay the Bond in French Polynesia ?

I'm English... my word is my Bond...

Tags
French Polynesia